Conga Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Conga Friday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Just spent 90 minutes writing an email to the refugee group. Still haven't started the sermon. Next up on my schedule is cook and eat dinner.

Edited to add: dh wondered in wondering when dinner would be so I quickly decided on something for me (he was having leftovers) and looked up how to make it and it is now in the oven baking. Hopefully crustless cheese and bacon quiche is easier to make than it sounds. Basically, I made the impossible ham pie but without the bisquick mix. So far, it looks good.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:00 pm

It was portfolio day here. A full white sheet over the front porch rail, and dd18, the young man and I worked to photograph a dozen ceramic pieces and a dozen 2-dimensional pieces - sketches, watercolor. The best of these will be added to the digital art and submitted a week from now as a digital portfolio.

I was definitely the go-fer. I put myself in charge of the "we are not breaking anything" plan with the ceramics! The young man is the camera and lighting expert, plus knows what judges are looking for. He says dd's pieces are "leagues ahead" of others he's photographed and he's certain the portfolio will be accepted. If so, she will be headed for a double major in computer science and art as she begins her sophomore year. She could always change her mind again. Dd37 changed her mind 4 times over the course of getting her degree there.

As we worked, dcousin of the interesting farm came over in his 4-wheeler and brought a beautiful head of cabbage, freshly pulled carrots, scallions and kale. The carrots are wonderfully sweet. The scallions are so aromatic (odorous?) with alliinase I had to leave them on the porch. I think I'll cut them up out there (or under water?) and baggie them. They are bound to be good for you! Whew!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:05 pm

I put frozen pizza in the oven for the guys and then made me a WW friendly pizza. Only 5 SmartPoint pizza using Flatout, sauce, multiple veggies and FF cheese. I am very pleased how it turned out.

DGS19 visited for over 5 hours. He requires my entire attention because he stays within 2 foot of me and talks non-stop. We cooked several dishes, went for coffee together, went for a walk at the park and visited DMom.

I am ready to do something that requires very little energy or brain-waves.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:34 pm

I have baggied the scallions. My. Goodness. :shock: Did it at the sink with a deep sink-full of cold water. All the "leavings" out the door, believe me. Haven't gotten to the carrots yet - frankly, I took a break (breath?) and have gone to the other side of the house!

HRH came through and grabbed a carrot and washed and scraped it. He went on and on about how sweet. I told him it's time to plan a stew.

Something kinda ominous I heard dcousin say about his veggies. He said he thinks February is the new April. Hmmm... .. He showed me a head of cabbage that "cracked", if ya'll know what that is. Usually doesn't happen until much later in the year but the temps have been so spring-like.

BookSaver that made me think of you and your weather in the 70s there.

The chickens got to stay out a while today. Lots of activity in the yard keeps us from worrying about predators.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:41 pm

I am making progress on the indoor gardening roses are soaking, compost is in a feed sack ready to use after tomorrow. 44* outside.

My hair is dry now. Hubby got dinner for us. Hens are having some free range time they get out at 4 pm grass is not growing enough yet to have em out any more than that yet.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Harriet: had the carrots overwintered in the ground or are they fresh grown this year? (Must be the former but I'm just checking.)

The quiche was a success. Super simple and quick (partly because I have pre-diced ham frozen in small packets in the freezer) and most important, tasty. It was basically exactly the same recipe of as the impossible pie without the bisquick mix. I added in red pepper and cut the cheese to lower the fat a bit. I had made just enough for my 7" flan pan (believe it or not, this is the first time I've used it after having it 33 years) which was 1/2 a recipe but I ate 2/3 of it. The remainder will be my breakfast in the morning. Served it with a half plate of salad.

Since dinner I haven't been productive. Am thinking of freeing my computer from the desk and sitting in the recliner to try writing.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:09 pm

Kathryn, since they are large diameter and not fingerlings I'm going to say he's overwintered them, and is making way for a summer crop by pulling them today. I'm sure his raised beds, which he worked on creating in the warm weather last year, would have been ready for planting by fall.

Both HRH and I have some regrets about today in that we had DPCs we just didn't handle. Also needed to get some emails out. But we need to accept our limitations. We can't do everything. Dd18 really needed the household to be available to her for this big project for hours today. Bandwidth needed to go to her.

I did get out to pharmacy and had a nice chat with ddil's dmother, who came to take care of the 2 children. Laundry. Maybe this is enough to have accomplished. Yesterday was a bear of a day, after all, and I probably needed recoup time.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:58 pm

I haven't been in a conga line today... hmmm... did get in line at funeral home visitation. A third (second?) cousin of dmom's and friend of the family. She had suffered Alzheimers for several years now; it was not an unexpected death but more of a relief and release, for the family, I think. We were not close but she was such a sweet person. She used to work at the bank we used.

Dmom went to the visitation also, and she looked so nice, and got lots of compliments -- so maybe that will encourage her to Keep It Up!

Afterwards, I managed to s/s the baths, and cleaned dh's shower... phone calls w/ds & ddil... ddil's work schedule changed AGAIN for Sunday, but it's kinda better. She'll only be working from 8:30-12:00... if it doesn't change again. :roll: Sooo hoping something changes soon!

Talked on phone w/dfriend, arranging for another friend to take pictures of her baby in first dfriend's buttercups. :D They were BEAUTIFUL a day or two ago, but first dfriend warns that they may not last long... and as it sounds like it may be hailing outside right now... hmmm...

DH is sleeping now. He has begun to run fever -- approx 101? He still has a very productive cough, but it keeps him awake most of the time, and his chest/ribs are sooo sore from all this. If he is not better by Monday, we are calling doctor back. Maybe he needs a different antibiotic? He is sooo sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. He is not a good patient at all, and it is depressing to him. We are staying home from college town again tomorrow, and y'all know he MUST be sick if he can't make it to a ballgame. This makes about six he has missed, I think. Maybe seven. I don't mind staying home At All... but I hate it that we're staying in b/c he feels so bad.
Tomorrow is another day.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:20 am

Popping in for a quick break.

I thought there was less fabric to cut than when I did this project before. Wrong! They bought thinner fleece this time, so they were able to fit several more yards of fabric into each bag. I've cut 190 cat mats so far and have 2 tall kitchen bags full of fabric still to cut. I'm going to stop pretty soon, though.

We made 211 total cat mats in June with 6 of us sewing. There will only be 4 of us tomorrow, so I've already cut enough to keep us busy. By the time they arrive at 10, set up their sewing machines and get organized, and leave time to pack up machines to leave by 2, at most the volunteers will be sewing 3 hours.

Whatever we don't finish tomorrow, I'll do myself over the next few weeks. There won't be enough left to make it worth the effort to try to set up another group sewing day.

OK I have finished drinking my big glass of water. I just remembered that I still have supper dishes soaking in the kitchen sink. I'll go wash those before I cut any more fabric.

I've already changed into my pajamas so whenever I feel like stopping, all I have to do is put away the cutting mat and fall into bed.

Return to “Post When You Can”