Marching Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harmony

Re: Marching Wednesday

Postby Harmony » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Harriet, I'm sorry you are having so much insurance co. troubles. I hate stuff like that.

Thanks LadyM for compliment. It is hard work but I am NOT in shape. Ever since I went through that sick spell which I never figured out (remember when I kept feeling like I was "hitting a wall" in fatigue) and sat a lot recovering from broken foot I've been weak in my muscles. I can get up and down from the ground, but have to grab onto something and assist my legs. Nothing I do seems to strengthen them.

Then there is the acid reflux which has me working with my body always upright. I can't ever bend from the waist. Cement work is a lot of that. I was edging the drive but I had to do it sitting and scooting on the ground.

I don't know what to do to strengthen myself. When we bike, I can't wait to get home. I don't think I could ever jog around like Helia does. Yes I am concerned. At least my balance is still decent. I can stand on one leg and put my other leg in my pants leg. DH can't do that, he has to sit. It is not as easy as it used to be. When we did the work at 2H my legs got sore and that has become harder for me but not impossible. It used to be easier.

Got everything done except for any housework. Worked on a survey tonight. I've made several dpc's and got answering machines on every one and no one called back. Going to bed, I've done everything I could today.

We have wolf spiders here. They aren't supposed to be dangerous but if they get in my house I freak out. They are brown and big around as a saucer (legs and all). Their body is shaped somewhat like a triangle.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:24 am

Harmony, we have wolf spiders here and boy can they run. We have the house, both garages and the storage building treated every other month, so don't have many spiders, but at our last house we had them every now and then,

Oh how I wish that I would have started sealing that grout sooner. It is slow going and the sealant is as liquid as water. I have done one coat. It calls for 2 but I am going to do 3 in case I'm not getting it wet enough.

Dd1 and I walked after she got home from work.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:26 am

Dh is throwing in the towel early again tonight.

We had a lovely dinner, enjoying the company of another couple as well as our family. After dinner, rather than visit, dh opted for a walk around the building (on the inside because it is large and I don't need any steps) and then we played a game of snooker (I was trounced by dh.) He picked out a book from the library and is now reading.

The building is spread out with courtyards and sheltered bits and you can walk quite a distance inside. Which I suppose is good if you consider how bad the weather has been for the past 2 months. If you follow the walking path around the outside of the building, apparently it adds up to a mile.

Instead this afternoon we walked down to the Napa River from here. That was just over a mile round trip. About half of it was on a 'carriage way' path that used to be used by some rich guy who would take his carriage to the river to welcome guests coming in from San Francisco. It is an oak lined path but the leaves are off the trees at this time of year. We walked back along the road that runs parallel to the path so we could enjoy looking at the houses. The architecture is so different here compared to up north. Weather doesn't play the same role.

I suppose I should back up for the first part of the day. After breakfast we had a bit of a visit and then I did my Lenten devotional before we headed out for a drive. dUncle was feeling well enough to go which was nice since he hasn't been out for a while due to a bad ankle and then shingles.

We drove up the Napa Valley stopping at Sutter Home for our dealcoholized wine we have on the ship. Then to a roadside stand for lunch (that's where we ate out on picnic tables in the sun) and I got to try Mr. Pibb (which is quite similar to my Dr. Pepper and I actually enjoyed it better.)

We came home on the secondary highway, arriving back right at dAunt's normal nap time. So she had a good nap and we had a nap and walk.

Tomorrow they are busy in the morning and the afternoon so we'll head out, probably walking into town for the day (it is 2 miles from here, so a long, slow but steady walk, some resting, lunch, finish the outdoor art tour, some froyo and then walk back. I want to check out the thrift stores here. With so many rich people in the area, the pickings might be very good.

We may also do a Walmart run.

We'll be back for 4 p.m. happy hour and figure out whether we'll have dinner here or at a restaurant in town.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:03 am

Baby Jason still hasn't appeared?

I've been looking in but oh me... busy day.
Colored my hair.
Went to Wmart to get cake. Bc ddil reminded me that dgs expected cake if we were having a party...
I cooked spaghetti for dmom's bday and everything went very well -- but cleanup took FOREVER. We used the good china so had dinner plates, salad plates, and dessert plates... had to hand wash everything... whew.
And while I was cleaning up. Dh and ds were watching a ballgame and dgs had a huge mess of puzzles and books out in his room. Lots of cleanup there too.

I'm exhausted!
Tomorrow is another day.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:34 am

Hi! I did cuop and now a quick post. I'm on my phone now. Last evening I discovered our internet was out and when I checked the modem I found the telephone was out as well. Called our provider (Frontier) today and The Lady put in a work order for Monday. So I probably won't be able to be here much. (No internet on phone either) I don't want to use too much of the data plan ; dfam#3 use a lot and it's not unlimited.

I should be able to get lots of extra work done around here without the computer distracting me.

Ewww, spiders! Shudder!!!

Thinking of Sadie, ds & ddil and dgsonJ....family blessings!

Dee, hopefully your BS numbers will even out in a couple of days.

Glad you weathered the storms, Twins! We talked to ds#3 this evening and he said they lost power for three hours and there was lots of trees and limbs down in his neighborhood.

((Hugs)) for those who have had rough, tough days!

See you all soon I hope!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

helia

Postby helia » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:58 am

Spiders -- kind of an interest of mine. Maybe after I'm retired, I'll study and photograph them more. I had a blog entry on them last time we lived in Australia. It's probably still there if anyone wants a peak. I think a link to my old BlogSpot blog is still under my avatar?? It's called Unexpected Houseguests.

I've been wondering if we'll see any huntsman spiders while we're here, Lynlee. We certainly saw plenty of them last time! I think huntsman spiders don't build web snares to catch their food. They actually hunt their food, like wolf spiders and jumping spiders. We have wolf spiders in MI and IL too, Lilac and Harmony. At camp as a child, I once saw one carrying her babies on her back. I thought that was so cool -- until some of the boys decided to kill her and her babies by dousing her with insect repellant. Not so cool in my young opinion at the time. Oh, well.

The largest spider I've ever seen was in Cairns at the Rainforestation. The web took up the entire side (open) of the shelter where the boat for the tour was docked. Her body was about 6 inches; with leg span, I'd guestimate about 18 inches diameter. I'll try to put a link to the photo if anyone is interested. It's in the Cairns and Daintree area slide show. You can see a heavy chain near her web which helps show her size.

http://gblaauw.blogspot.com.au/2008_04_01_archive.html

I have gotten our laundry done, so that feels good. I need to take the last load off the line and fold it and put it away. I think dh and I are going to eat an early dinner and then head to the beach. There's a bit of a wind so today doesn't feel as hot.

I need to force myself to start my photo project. I'd really like to have that finished by the time we go home.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:22 am

I haven't done any writing tonight but I at least have my photos onto my computer now. So that's a first step.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:47 am

Helia - My reading today says younger huntsman build webs. Here there have often been webs outside that I'd put down to huntsman - perhaps they were young. Outside the toilet or bathroom windows tied house to trees used to be a frequent spot when those lights were on for longer periods.
Unfortunately the Indonesian house gecko that is rampant in houses in my part of the world has made indoor huntsman and daddy longlegs a rarity. They can have the redbacks.
Our native geckos are not around any more either.
The Indonesian geckos are good at hunting other bugs and cockroaches. too good at the spiders.

I need to be otd. good night.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

helia

Postby helia » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:37 am

That's really interesting Lynlee. Where did you read that about young huntsman spiders making webs? I'd be very interested to read it too. I believe they do make silk and so can use that to make a nest, but all I can find in regards to procuring food is that they don't use webs to catch their prey, etc. There's a generic google comment that adult huntsman spiders don't use webs to catch their prey, but nothing about how the babies catch their food. I thought that was a reference to the fact that the babies stay with their mother for their first weeks, and so they aren't hunting during that time. But I can't figure out if the mother hunts for them or maybe they don't eat at all during that time? Well, there's one sort that is communal and they live together for quite a long time. The real life ones I've seen have not been in webs. Anyhow, I'd be very curious to read anything you found that says that baby huntsman spiders do make webs.

OK, enough distraction. Dinner was really good. We got the kitchen cleaned up and then went to the beach, which was busy. We saw a nice sunset! Dh got a latte. I declined. Now, dh is working, and I'm going to get a cup of tea and look at what photos are on my hard drive.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:20 am

It just said the full grown adult huntsman don't make webs. They shed their skins as they grow. It was definitely huntsman that make webs here. I believe at least.
I still find the main 'stays' of their webs, though they reel in the web when they aren't needed. I'm sure I've read of that happening. Unless its birds that are demolishing their webs. I don't think so.
Sry - I haven't been able to find the same link again.
I could just find the thing that said adults don't make webs. I thought I saw one that said younger huntsman spiders made webs but maybe I'm totally mistaken.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Post When You Can”