Saturday Simplicity

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Saturday Simplicity

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:01 am

A Saturday of simplicity and ease before setting back the clock tonight. Enjoy!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Re: Saturday Simplicity

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:18 am

I have a short list going for today - mostly closet clean up and emptying, perhaps a couple of errands. Dh and I are going out this evening for a nice dinner with friends.

He's gone to Torah study, then will come home and get dressed to go to a funeral.

Harmony, I am writing up my genealogy work and conclusions. The one I've been doing I was hoping might eventually fulfill the case study portfolio requirement for genealogy certification, but in the end there was too much direct evidence (that is, parents named in death certificates) although it did take a lot of research to get there so I was understandably proud of it.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:38 am

I moved my usual Saturday schedule around and am S2Sed now rather than showering this evening. The early morning was "the heat of the day" for this unusual weather weekend, and I'd rather be comfortable than perfect!

Twins' it's impressive to me that you know so much you can express which studies you do are within certain requirements and which aren't. You've learned a whole lot. I'm sure I'd be interested in this more personally, if some cousins hadn't already been doing it. It's sort of "their thing". But I can see the appeal. Knowledge, discovery.

I need a good brunch now and then will be ready for whatever comes in the day.
Dstepson's family wants to come over - I know that.
Ds' family has gotten a new puppy - that will be someone they'll want to show off.
Dd18 is still trying to decide if she'll catch a ride home.
Halfway expecting dsecondmil to do some visiting rounds and include us.

I haven't even looked at the music for Sunday. I've been too concerned about treasurer reports.

Yesterday a good visit with 2nd oldest girl cousin, whose phone had gone out and needed ours. She is actually the one of our generation who lives closest to me. Her news was sad regarding her dmother's health. I might ride with her one day to visit Aunt S in new nursing home. She is the one who met my uncle when they were both medics in England during WWII.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:45 am

Dh isn't walking with NFD today so we are slow moving this morning. I finished the sermon last night so my next urgent to-do is a trip to the library to get some books to work on with NF11 on Monday. Then set-up for the book exchange at 1:30.

I'm barely awake. Slept through my alarm for a second day in a row. Just checked and my fitbit alarm is working, I'm just sleeping through it. Dreamed I adopted another baby and woke up exhausted from that. (((LadyM))) I can't imagine having your life and how much energy it requires.

I've finished my tea and chocolate and wrote someone from facebook who was whining about our church supper being retro and making women do all the work: men do at least 50% of everything, set up, cooking (although they tend not to bake desserts) serving and cleanup. This person had a bad experience with a church at some point in their life and assumes that while they no longer are the same person, churches are stuck in the past and haven't changed at all.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:35 am

We are having a slow start to our day. It was almost 1am before we went to bed. DH took DMIL to the ER last night and that takes hours to do x-ray, blood work, get results, diagnosis, and prescription filled at an all-night pharmacy. Her diagnosis was gout. DMIL will follow up with her doctor on Wednesday.

I woke up to txt from DGS19 and DD waiting on me. DGS19 wants me to go grocery shopping with him. I'll leave to do that in a couple hours. Before leaving I need to load up an extra microwave and also a countertop oven to take to DGS19. I'll also go shopping in my pantry for some more basics. It takes a lot to set up a household when you are starting from nothing. I can not see how young people can possibly exist on minimum wage without someone helping them. Just paying rent, utilities and bare essentials take up almost all the wages.

I have my biggest pot filled to the top with salsa ingredients. I'll let it cook on slow most of the day. I also loaded up the instant pot with roast beef and then filled the extra space with vegetables. I am using the slow cooker setting so it will be cooking most of the day too.

My plan for today includes -
** Steadfast = Track hydration, food, steps, and sleep
** Take microwave, oven and food basics from our home to DGS19
** Go by Evelyn's and pick up dishes, silverware, and entertainment stand for DGS19
** Grocery shopping with DGS19. He swears that Aldi's is the best place to buy food. I've tried it but wasn't impressed. Maybe I did it wrong? DGS19 is going to show me how today. It is never too late to learn something new. :)

B: ham & cheese rollups
L: Salad with 10 toppings, leftovers
D: Pizza and Ice Cream Cone
Prep Ahead: refill Sauerkraut container, refill sliced black olive container, make low carb honey/mustard dressing, shred block cheese in food processor, cook big pot of salsa, cook roast beef & vegetables.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:56 am

Kathryn, I would think that the very fact your church could have the event with some frivolity and retro-interest shows that this is not the case. The wounds must still be fresh for this person. :( For them, I guess, "too soon".

LadyM, I'm so sorry to hear your dmil and dh had such a hard night. I hope she gets better soon. My dsecondbil wants us to keep trying to understand and appreciate that grocery too, because he's convinced it's wise shopping. It itself is from Europe and he says there is a competitor of theirs from Europe also about to break into the markets in US. Best wishes to dgs19.

Yes, dd does want to come home, but I don't think we have to do anything about it. I believe she's going to be dropped off here tonight following a school play. That may make it kinda late. Hmmm... .. she may miss some excitement on four legs, but I'm sure she can chase him (?) down the next day for cuddles.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:02 pm

I need this a keep it simple day. It is sunny and 40* put tbis morning here. I walked the dog to the corner & back, fed the hens. My bs accptable # today. I need to clean up the coop and get it set up for chicks and wash their feeders. The tree branch that broke in the back yard needs to be delt with it is small so no worries.

on hwy 12 they had a rock slide one lane of traffic only.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:16 pm

One of the blessings of last night was the chance to get to know a new member better. She saw dh and I dressed up and rushed home to change into something retro herself. In doing so, she deliberately left her 7 year old with us, despite only meeting us in passing two times before! I guess we are just the sort of people who inspire trust. (Actually, I recall someone letting their 7 year old go off with us in a convertible after meeting us IRL only once...)

Anyway, we put the 7 year old to work (moving the drinks from the kitchen to the table and then sorting them by type and finally setting the tables.) When asked after dinner what her favourite part had been (by someone really asking which food she liked the best) she replied sorting the drinks. Which confused the asker greatly until I explained the disconnect between question and answer.

This little one will be a church challenge. She is very ADHD and talkative. Already the minister (also ADD) has welcomed her with open arms (literally - he loves kids and loves getting hugs from them) and engages her as much as he can. The trick is keeping one step ahead of her so you have the next thing for her to do. I explained that to CF who, as the Sunday School teacher last week, lost control of the class due to her. His boys are active but not ADHD so can be easily redirected back onto task.

For dh and I, she was very good. Perhaps it is our attitude. Any child is a potential worker and we press all children into work from the time they can walk and understand simple instruction (collecting up the cups or picking up crumbs when they are 2 to getting the 4 year olds to vacuum after coffee hour.) Our goal is to make them feel part of the church family and valued as a contributing member, not someone to be tolerated.

In our conversation, it turns out the mom considers her life complicated (due to having a kid) but is open to dating so we have sent a note to ds that she is up for coffee and to at least meet him. Although, because he doesn't attend church regularly, he has a black mark against him. Gotta love her standards!

My service is finished and printed off now. I also did my Lenten devotions. I should probably get dress now.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:32 pm

Quick good morning - I'm using my phone as my computer is in the shop

Wishing u all a wonderful day of simplicity

So far
Up at 5:30
Breakfast done
Looked up addresses for all the cards I needed to send out - all envelopes sealed and ready to go
French done

Ready for dailies
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:50 pm

I am getting off the computer. Now.

I need to work on emptying the closet.

Return to “Post When You Can”