Irish Eyes Smilin' Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Irish Eyes Smilin' Friday

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:10 am

It's St Paddy's Day! Are you Irish? Either way you can smile today cause it's Friday.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Re: Irish Eyes Smilin' Friday

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:13 am

My Ancestry DNA test said I was 25% Irish - not an Irish grandparent I'm sure but lots of Irish from different people accumulating 25%.

I gotta get rolling. I was up at 5:30 to take dh to the airport. I'm not sure why he wanted to be driven, but I obliged. I went back to bed for awhile but didn't sleep much. I gotta get things straightened up, have breakfast, and be out of here in about an hour to take my car to get the damage estimate. I guess I'm hoping they'll tell me it's okay to drive too so I don't have to get a rental today. After that I need to pick up meals for dmom and visit there. Will probably nap this afternoon?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:37 am

Everyone is Irish on St. Patricks day :D Happy Smilin' St. patricks day!

Happy St. Patrick's day to you d Twins! hope your dh has a safe and lovely trip.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:40 am

My paternal, paternal, Great-grandfather was Irish. Plus there is some on my mother's side as well. She didn't learn that until later in life but made sure St. Patrick's Day was a special day in our household. Irish music, green streamers, little gifts, a card and table decorations greeted us when we came down to breakfast.

I have the Irish music going now. Although given the number of pipes I'm hearing I'm not completely convinced this isn't also a leaning heavily on St. Andrew's Day music!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:53 am

I'm up. Ankle is still sore. I'm down 8K steps for the week, not insurmountable but unlikely to happen, especially considering the ankle unless I walk it off some time today.

I just looked at my calendar and have a long meeting tomorrow morning. Sigh... Forgot about that. Need to get going on the service now. The blessing is done, I'll use St. Patrick's as I do each year on the Sunday's surrounding St. Patrick's Day.

I'm not yet dressed but am still having tea. Slept very poorly last night.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:00 am

20% Irish here, according to dbro's DNA test.

I have appt at 4:00 for steroid shot.

Dh is waiting on heart center to call and schedule his follow-up appt. he is just miserable. Didn't sleep at all last night.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:45 am

Found an Irish blessing quote on fb for my journal I have been looking for. Afrien in grade school put in my autograph book. I cannot remember her last name however. Sigh oh well. Hid green rocks with clovers on our street. The doog was expecting a 1 mi. Walk h was feeling cheated at that one later when it warms up a bit more I will do the longer one. Laundry is going.

English Irish Scottish aka heintz 57 here! Lol.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:45 am

Happy St. Patrick's Day, happy Friday, and happy payday! I don't know if I have Irish ancestry, but I look the part with red hair and green eyes. I know there is Scottish ancestry through the McKenzie clan. In honor of no homework + payday, DD and I went to the expensive but delicious Chinese restaurant. I did not tell her of the fate of Moon's family. The punk station on XM radio is playing the most awesome music. Not exactly traditional, but if you have XM, check it out. I did remember to wear green, though I have read that blue used to be the traditional color and orange was for Protestants. However, in grade school people would pinch you if you didn't wear green, so green it is.

DD15 is going on a cruise with her other family, so I have a childfree week coming up. Some of my exciting plans include getting an oil change and seeing an automotive locksmith. Party on. On the way home from work is a camper place that is closed by the time I see it. There are some small campers that intrigue me. I may go Sunday and look at them and see how much I would have to save up. I want a camper when DD moves off. Does not need to be big, but should have stove and fridge. I can stay at campgrounds that have showers and toilets.

Last night, I finished the shore excursion list. Now I need to compare it to the previous list and determine what (if anything) I want to change and what the price difference will be.

This morning, I was greeted with a catastrophic load failure. Not a single process ran. However, examining the problem revealed an Oracle server issue which is (a) not my problem and (b) already fixed. All I had to do was reset the jobs to run tonight - something that takes a single line of code. I need to do a DPC to find out the latest in the animal org drama. Deputy Troublemaker is still a plague even though she is off the board.

My cats want to have lunch at Lilac's refrigerator! All natural pest control!

Did I read Kathryn's post correctly? Someone wants to train herself to catch POOP?!?!?! What the phooey?!?!?!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 pm

I would think I'm 50% Irish, but given that there's other stuff mixed in probably, it's not that high. Also we were told way way back the Irish people we credit with our heritage actually came from Scotland to Ireland. My DMom used to write back and forth to someone in Ireland. I wish we still had that connection. she used to tell us we should be wearing orange, we WEREN'T green Irish. There was a real prejudice against Catholics back in those days if one wasn't Catholics.

I am glad that the only person I really know on my DDad's side writes to me and I write back. She would be my Dad's Nephew's daughter, so she is a cousin but 2nd? Once removed? I don't understand all that. That side is German and I don't know what else, if anything. He used to say his family once came from Als___ Lorraine sp? so maybe we have some French there... how do they figure that in the DNA? Blessed might know....\

But Happy St. Patrick's Day! I always thought green beer sounded ewwwww. Arb y's used to have a green milkshake, I wonder if they still do.

Went down the rabbit hole with all that, didn't I?

Trying to recover here. Business and house both in disarray. I was so down in the dumps with everything I just couldn't keep up. DH is super stressed, trying to do too many jobs at once and keep it all straight which he can't any more. He gets really annoyed when I try to explain things to him and I think it is because he has lost some of his verbal understanding. We really are too old for all this work.

I moved my sewing machine into the middle guest bedroom and I don't want it there but when it is open with a lamp in the corner of the dining room, DH couldn't open the blinds every morning in that corner and he kept knocking the lamp over or off. I got tired of that so I moved things around again. At least it gave me a chance to clean floors and baseboards underneath.

It had been chilly here, we had wind, rain and cold temps from the big snowstorm. We've had the fireplace going to keep a couple rooms warm. That's a bit more work for me but at least DH wheels a big dolly of wood in every morning. I just have to keep stoking the fire and cleaning up the floor. Our wood is too old and goes up quickly, we want to get rid of the old stuff. I can't ever remember having a fire in March.

Ok, back to the salt mines.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Elizabeth wrote:Did I read Kathryn's post correctly? Someone wants to train herself to catch POOP?!?!?! What the phooey?!?!?!

Uh, yes. Not me. Dd. And not literally catch the poop but catch dgs in the moment of releasing poop. Which is actually fairly easy. Even I can do it. We have the "poop position" for him and he responds to the word 'poop' by straining. Doesn't always poop but the majority of times will release gas. Dd figured if he's that far along, she may as well rework the 'poop position' to be over a potty and see if she can cut down on some of the dirty diapers.

Not necessarily less work in the immediate future (probably more) but she has several friends who adopted the hands-off approach to toilet training figuring the child would train itself. Instead, each one got used to going in a diaper and being in wet diapers and so refused to get with the program. Dd wants dgs to know there is another alternative and to at least get use to the idea of sitting on a potty. (The friends were all panic trying to get their kids toilet trained before school started so many were almost 4 and some older than 4 and some ran into problems with daycares and untrained older children.)

Worldwide, in non First World Cultures, children are often trained before being able to walk. The child is worn by the mother, there is no diaper and quickly the moms learn the signs. They hold the baby away from them and let it pee/poop wherever. They also make a wooshing sound as the child pees/poops. The baby associates being held out and the sound with relieving themselves. I'd point out that hand washing one's clothing and limited water, plus the absence of new-fangled child experts, means this method has survived even to today.

The trend to later 'child-led' toilet training in North America is something that happened in the 50's with the introduction of automatic washing machines and disposable diapers in the 1960s. For some reason children in the 1920s started training at 12 months. Now it is likely not before 2, and often 3. Have children physically changed? Nope. There was the fear of psychological damage purported by the child experts but I'd have to say there's little sign children today are better adjusted than they used to be. Actually, I'd say there is no sign children today are better adjusted than they used to be and possibly worse adjusted.

In the case of dgs there are lots of physical cues that dd picks up and she reinforces with sounds and sign language so he will be able to communicate a need before having words. Once the weather gets better, I wouldn't be surprised if, on hot days, she tries the African method of wearing him without a diaper. We'll see. As much as she's germ phobic, she loves science so might just try that experiment.

Return to “Post When You Can”