Irish Eyes Smilin' Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Irish Eyes Smilin' Friday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Church service is done. No progress on the sermon plus we have to learn a hymn that is new to us (but in the retirement home hymnbook and apparently an old gospel tune so they may know it.)

I've had breakfast and washed up all the dishes from yesterday (mainly just breakfast) and today. The bed is also made.

Still have not s2s. Given that it is well past noon, I shall do that now.

Norma

Postby Norma » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:45 pm

Amazing but true! I am 25% Irish and had no idea until I did my ancestry DNA. My grand-parents are all Scots and Dutch, so the Irish was a big surprise. Also I am 18% Scandinavian . No idea about that, but Mr. Guy who is 70% Scandinavian said that his people (the Vikings) would "vacation" in Ireland and Scotland and that is how it happened. :lol:

We are heading out soon to go with Rosie and Sweetie to a spring training game - Seattle Mariners and Arizona Diamondbacks. I will be wearing my SF Giants cap, so I don't care who the winner is today. It was the only decent seat game we could get. We will be in the shade the whole day and that is important. Will be 93 at the park today. :(

Hope all have a great time today. In Seattle for our big Irish party the hostess would have to get a dispensation from the Bishop to eat corned beef if St. Paddy's Day fell on a Friday. Of course it was always granted. No Bishop worth his salt would say no to the Irish. :lol:

Think I will head on over to QVC to see what wonderful things they have for a girl just finding out she is Irish. :D
I go to nature to be soothed and healed , and to have my senses put in order. John Burroughs

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Grumble, grumble, grumble, @#$%!!! Who wrote that awful code?!?!?! What were they thinking ??? And it affects so MANY reports, everything that has to do with distribution will need to be fixed! Oh, yeah, it was me. The good thing is that the customer will never know. I can quietly upload the (many) corrections. Grumble, grumble.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:19 pm

I have some Irish one great great grand parent is Mc or Mac - sirname. I tied a shamrock hankie on the dog's neck for a festive touch, she untied it 2x so I gave up on that idea. :roll:

I am pleased with the chickens hens are adjusting to laying in the run. I checked on the chicks they were doing great eating and drinking spread out evenly under the light I got a great pic for my fb page of em too.

KidN not here yet.

Laundry is current.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:29 pm

I'm dressed (also showered and cleaned the bath tub.) Hair isn't styled. I have it held back with a black velvet band because it is St. Patrick's day. It can dry that way.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:23 pm

I assume my bit of Irish DNA came from my one of 8 great-grandparents whose last name (and her father's and great-grandfather's) we know was Irish, but of course there are so many variables. It's not as if I knew those older generations or heard their own history or opinions about the name.

From the handed-down stories about my great-grandmother, I think I'd have liked her. She was an "I am having none of that!" kind of woman, who was a good match for my impish, athletic great-grandfather who worried her, thinking that he might get hurt. So she would "lay down the law", according to the stories, and he would listen and stop taking dares. They both lived to 87 without broken bones, which she said was all due to her, and even though they had 10 children, they willed their farm to their church. The reunion for their family members was huge at one time - had to be held at a park - and I wish we still had it. Just too many of us by now to be do-able, I think.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Just dawned on me as I once again cuop that I never did post today. I've been doing several odds 'n ends through the day trying to get a lot of really 'desk work' type of things out of the way. Mostly in preparation for dh's trip north. I was smilin' that I finally was able to get online with our credit union. It kept locking me out ever since they upgraded the system last month. Did dh's accounts just fine and it balked at mine. Talked to them a few times last week but they were wondering if the windstorms up there had had an effect. So tried again this week and just today manged to call them again. (It's so nice being able to know who I'm talking to and them really knowing me. In fact I was able to thank them for the get well card they sent to me -at which I was astoundingly surprised! DS-A has kept them abreast of what's been happening with me. ) Was able to pay our golf cart insurance via phone and had another nice visit with the gal on that end. Know all these people so well.

DBIL called about 45 minutes ago. Seems he and dsisil went to the cemetery today (probably her dsis' grave I'm thinking). Dsisil passed out and hit her head and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. So we're waiting on word from there -she had gone for a CAT scan. I'm guessing they'll find a whole lot more wrong with her (IMHO). We've been noticing lapses in her memory, etc and know she's lost weight. This is the dsisil who smokes a lot and we certainly won't be surprised if they find she's suffering from other things as well.

Think my next job will be to send thank you's to our churches both here and up home. Got a beautiful plant from our church up home this week. I'm really glad it's a plant as I'll be able to enjoy it for a long time vs. a vase of flowers. At this point I don't have any plants. Had a gorgeous one I had saved from dShelley's funeral and was part way to FL that year when I realized it was left on our table in the RV. Too late for sure.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:26 pm

Elizabeth, thankfully the mice are at the house dd2 moved out of 3 weeks ago. But she does need at least 2 cats in there to do a quick pest control. I haven't had the nerve to go over and check those weird traps that dsil used.

I bought groceries and ran errands this morning. I need to mess with my checkbook, etc. but so far haven't tackled that.

Dgs22 will be home today for his spring break. I'm sure there will be some F arkel playing while he is here.

Dh took the outside furniture off the patio and hosed it and the patio down. Now he is washing his motorcycle.

I have come up with several crockpot meals for next week when we are helping dd2. Dh decided he will not paint that trim until she okays a paint choice. I really need to get over there and work on the kitchen but the thought of the mice makes me think, next week is soon enough.

Better work on the checkbook.............

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:40 pm

KidN is here now. She hid painted rocks for the dog to find. I took her out to the coop so she could see the chicks. Hens have been few, eggs have been collected. More painted rocks are drying now. :mrgreen:

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:17 pm

So many bugs, so little time left in the day. I am very unhappy with our report writer (that would be Elizabeth's Own Report Writing Service, in case you are wondering).

I have made my list for tonight: call DD15 and see if she wants to see me before her week in Mexico, find the eraser for my DayRunner, finish the shore excursion research and send to traveling companion, and bills & budget. I should also go through my work bag and consolidate lists. Some of the old ones have items I can check off! Tomorrow will be devoted to cat clinic, duplicate car key, and oil change. I'm sure there is other stuff I need to do. I'd like to get more progress done in the sewing room.

Return to “Post When You Can”