Thursday Toot Your Horn!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Thursday Toot Your Horn!

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:32 pm

Lucylee: I'd argue he doesn't feel worse after this hospital stay than before it. Things were so bad, he agreed to go to the hospital. He isn't agreeing now so he must not feel as bad.

Harmony Well, that is the question, who are they selling the data to? First: yes, insurance companies. Secondly advertisers. They know our age, sex, etc from our sign in so they can take all the 43 year old women and produce reports on what they have in common and then sell the data to advertisers looking for information on cohorts. From the website cookies, they know what other websites interest me. From my link to MyFitnessPal they know what food I'm eating. My weight is in the system as well. They have a ton of information so can create pretty accurate profiles from the grouped data. There isn't a lot of proof that they are doing anything but selling more things to their own users (in other words, the advertisers are buying space on the fitbit website to advertise to me. Certainly my sleep data they are willing to sell back to me includes how other women my age and fitness level are sleeping (as if sleep is some sort of competition.)

In theory they will never sell INDIVIDUAL data to advertisers or insurers but we know that this data has been used in court cases and in some cases insurers are offering different pricing to people who fit different fitness profiles and you prove you are moving as much as you say through your trackers reports.

And the individual data has been used in court cases. Convicted one woman (she claimed she was raped in the night but in fact she had staged the scene herself and her tracker information showed her moving around for hours she claimed to be asleep - she smashed her fitbit, pretending it was broken in the attack but failed to understand the data was not on it, but on the server.) Another person won a claim for lost of quality of life suit. Her data showed how active she had been before an accident and how she was no longer active due to her injuries. It quantified the before/after fitness level and probably increased her settlement because it was based on hard evidence, not a vague perception "I used to be active and now I'm not."

I looked it up and currently data sales count for only about 1% of the revenue of fitbit. Another 10% comes from corporate deals (companies have an opportunity to encourage their employees to be more active which has been shown to have positive health benefits -- potentially resulting in lower healthcare costs for the company.)

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Lucylee: I'd argue he doesn't feel worse after this hospital stay than before it. Things were so bad, he agreed to go to the hospital. He isn't agreeing now so he must not feel as bad.

Good point, Kathryn.
OTOH -- he would say he is refusing now b/c he KNOWS how miserable he felt while in the hospital.
More sighs...

But he had a long sleep while I was running errands, and he says he feels much better now. Also, Ducolax has helped some. ;)

Now when do I get a long sleep?

Also -- I edited earlier post re: the shrimp. I don't feel too sure about this. We may be messing up, eating shrimp.
Tomorrow is another day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:12 pm

LadyM: I meant to say the new fitbit data you see isn't accurate. They can't tell REM from your heartbeat, it is indicated by brain wave patterns. Many charts people are posting are showing 6 - 8 REM periods per night, not likely since REM is in 90 - 120 minute cycles. If you are in bed only 8 hours, anything over 4 REM periods is unlikely to really be REM.

Check out this article to see if your chart is showing what is likely to be REM sleep

http://www.howsleepworks.com/types_rem.html

But at least you can see when you are restless or not, how many times, how long and when. I could do that last week. Can't anymore.

But, remember, fitbit didn't do this to force me to upgrade or buy their premium data package. Nope. That wasn't their intention at all. They haven't said why they took my data away, but they have said my two reasons suggested are not why.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Painted rocks w dgds waiting for them to dry now.
Time to check on the laundry and then do chicken chores again.
Load #3 is going in the dryer laxt one for tonight.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Done dinner. Dh is going to a movie tonight. It is pouring rain out here and just north of Toronto snow has started (just small flakes so far.) We'll get it soon and through part of the day tomorrow but since it is mixed with rain, I don't think anything will stay on the ground.

I'm going to change out of my dress clothes and into workout clothes. I won't go for a walk but I will get on the treadmill.

Have downloaded a sleep app for my phone and will give that a try tonight to see how well it tracks my sleep. The only problem with doing that is now I want to go to bed to try it out! (I had a lousy night last night.)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:36 pm

Dishes are cleaned up except for 2 pieces of the deep fryer.

Been locked out of the fitbit forum. But also can no longer sign into MyFitnessPal. Hope that's a coincidence. For the past few days, I've had to log in, be denied and sign in again without changing my prefilled password and it would work. Tonight that didn't work and I exceeded the number of attempts. So it said to wait an hour or change password. I've changed the password twice and still can't get in. Am now being told to change password or wait an hour. I've tried in two different browsers in case it was a browser setting. Nope.

Sigh.....

At this point I can still log into my fitbit account but that can also be taken away (while I'm not syncing, I am manually adding my steps throughout the day to add to MyfitnessPal's calorie estimate for me.)

Hmmm, 8:25. More treadmill or vacuum the office? I guess the vacuuming because then I can put it away. Still have to do weekly kitchen chores but donwanna.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:02 pm

I have had dinner. Did a short walk w ddog, might do few min. On the gazelle.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:17 pm

Waiting an hour fixed the MFP issue and an email from fitbit says I can return in 2 weeks.

I've cleared as much data as I can from my fitbit - weight, height, sex, and location are nonsense. Name and birthdate were never real anyway. Am debating wiping the fitbit completely and starting over but need to connect it to a computer to do that.

Saved all summary emails (I get emails of all posts in the forums I've posted on) so I have a record of what I said and what else was said. I assume all my posts are wiped. Not sure if the summary emails will continue or not now that I'm banned.

Got a reminder from someone to keep charging my fitbit regularly because I won't get a low battery warning but I do get an indication on the display as well as the email so I think I'm ok that way. I can recharge using an USB adapter in the wall instead of the computer so that will stop an accidental sync.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:08 pm

Home finally. After roller skating, I stopped by DMom's for a visit. At 8:30pm I found DMom was still outside physically pulling tiny weeds in her yard. She likes to keep busy. She talked non-stop. Literally. She starts telling one story and interrupt herself to tell a different story and never finish the previous story. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

DGD5 was so tired tonight that she was asleep immediately when she laid her head on the pillow.

Sweet Dreams to all.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:17 pm

Thursday
slept 5.30 - 9.30
helper came unexpectedly in the afternoon
Most was the social visit. 30 min wardrobe Konmarie.
19 more things out. belts and jackets mostly.
evening.
a practice for Easter Thursday - 30 min
Lenten studies. last of those.
stayed up too late.

tooting my horn Friday
2 trailer loads of storm damaged tree bits gone to the dump courtesy of a neighbour and his pruning saw. Me with my loppers.
Made /cut a way into my back yard via southern side of the tree.
bedding washed.
need to ph help agency re next fortnight's visit. done. though not necessarily adjusted ??

todo
need lunch then a nap
afternoon - meeting K at church.

Waving to all.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Post When You Can”