Tuesday Test

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Tuesday Test

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:07 pm

Harmony: There's a giving up of control which some people can't do. But, for instance, they need to fix the water heater. My only concern is I'm without hot water for a few hours (in actual fact, I've got hot water now and had it almost all morning so not sure what's up with that since its to be out until tomorrow afternoon.) When the radiator broke, I just had to move furniture and clean up after the plasterer and painter (and got both of them to do some extra work while they were over.) All for free. Didn't even have to make one phone call.

I'd like new windows sooner rather than later (these are 49 years old) but most of the time they don't leak (just in certain storms of which we've had only one since moving in) and tomorrow someone is coming to mark the window from the inside, so it will be caulked on the outside while the windows are being cleaned next week.

Wind and rain storms don't concern me. Trees coming down are no longer a worry. Where to put snow is no longer my problem, nor do I have to shovel anything.

I don't have mice but if I did, the landlord would have to get rid of them for me (dd is currently facing a HUGE bill to get the squirrels out of her attic and the raccoons out from under her deck.) Worrying about new roofs, maintaining a generator, even paying to replace a blown fuse (or a broken major appliance) is no longer an issue. All included in my rent.

So there are trade-offs. I give up worry, responsibility to do maintenance and yard work and my capital costs are all spread over 15 - 20 years (whereas, I'd have to pay for a water heater or new fridge in one go rather than amortize it over 20 years.) On the other hand, someone else decided when to update the corridor and charged me and also decided on the colour scheme etc. And others in the building getting a new kitchen is partly paid for in my rent increase just as others will have to pay for my new fridge in their rent increase when my fridge is replaced. That's part of the communal cost sharing, we all pay towards all the units whether we like it or not.

Dh and I have decided we don't want to go back to home ownership.

With our home in the village there was also the minor issue that the road on the hill right behind my home was becoming a major truck route. And new construction was happening out there almost as much as it is happening in my current neighbourhood. So much for quiet village life.

With home ownership there are still things outside your control but you are stuck unless you are willing to sell at a loss, or make a profit but all other homes have gone up in price too so that means you can't buy back into the market easily. If I decide to move, or have to move, I just have to give 60 days notice and I'm out of here.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:14 pm

DD and I went to get my rental car this afternoon. The service guy was about to pull the paperwork for E nterprise and another guy came by and said, "No, give her one of ours." Turned out to be the first time they've done this program. He goofed up the paperwork and then went to get a whole package still packaged -from C hrysler. After all was said and done they brought out a 2017 Charger with 15 miles on it. That's what I'm driving for the forseeable future. DD had jokingly said to him, "Bring her a Charger", never thinking they'd actually do it. My DDIL-R is so jealous -that's her dream car. And they put dd on as a second driver. It was going to be a real pain getting from there to E nterprise so I'm glad on that level that I didn't have to go there. And I would have had to pay a deposit at E nterprise -didn't at dealership. Guess I feel whole again now that I have a car I can go out if I want/need to. Do have a haircut scheduled for tomorrow morning so will be able to do that now. Then I'm going over to Dsisil's for a short visit. Have no idea how long it'll be before I have my car back. Hey, it's fewer miles going on mine.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:20 pm

LadyM.... my childhood friend just got over the mumps.... first time ever and he was born in 1951. I on the other hand had them when I was 10, both sides at once in the middle of summer with no A/C

It was NOT a fun experience and I was born in 1950.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:29 pm

I'd have to give myself a D for the second half IV my day. I've done nothing but try to sleep since we got home this afternoon.
Well -- and
-- talked to dmom on the phone. She still has a horrible cough and hopes she doesn't have to go to the ER tonight :(
-- talked to ddil on the phone for 45 min. About a tv Shia she is watching, and some recording ds is doing, and their most recent plumbing problems, and her job. And she is worried about some work problems her dmom is having and there's nothing she can do -- her dad doesn't want her to even let her mom know she knows, and then her dad says "and of course it doesn't help that our grandchildren are three states away..." :( I have to say I am so glad ddil will call like this and talk to me. :)
-- worry that when ds/ddil become full owners of their house, they will decide to sell it and move. This is my latest obsession. They have said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to indicate this would EVER be likely to happen. It's just an obsession I have now.
-- help dh scramble eggs for supper.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:48 pm

After I mowed the front yd. & finished some hand work on the last bags I had sewn up. Move some rocks outside to the front steps went over to the grange to hide rocks & h called wanted to know if I wantec to go to a nearby town so I went home grabbed my coat & insulin. met him over town so wed could use the jeep. Great weather. It was fun got the paint pens at the Joann's store there w my other coupon yea. A fun day.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:17 am

Wednesday test
Ph call to instruction program coordinator.

drive to appointment, park and get there on time. F
its holiday time. periodontal place is opposite a riverside park/ playground. Drove around nearby blocks and ended up going parking in a shopping center blocks away. Too late was the decree when I got there. Honestly, I also walked into the wrong dental practice and waited there before being told my mistake.
Rescheduled appointment is late May.

Back at the shopping center.
Looked around for blouse or a dress, and found a dressy enough dress, fashionable enough without looking silly next year. it has a back zip I need to be able to wiggle to manipulate. Also short sleeves and a waist! A good length for me. Cornflour blue design on a white background. Success.
Lunch -pad thai . It was good to be able to say no to Gluten and chilli. Success
home.
Booked car serv for next Tuesday

I'll head for nap.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:17 am

Hi everyone! I guess I get a B today. I have not been able to fix my report, but the reason is that I am finding database issues. My report extracts data from the database. However, finding the issues is a good thing. I survived my dance class yesterday, but am not going to be part of the performance. Practicing on crutches ain't happening! DD15 did not have homework tonight and wanted a library run. Dailies and animal org chores done. CUOP done. Checkbook is done and money is transferred because I was down to $4.21!

Tomorrow's list is made:
  • Arrange ride to/from hospital
  • Animal org meeting, followed by dinner with another board member
  • Get some cat pix for work newsletter
  • Register and pay for shore excursions

It is 11:20, and I should go to bed! Good night everyone. (Still hate not having you at payroll!)

Return to “Post When You Can”