Sunday Smiles

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Sunday Smiles

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun May 28, 2017 7:44 am

All I can do about the weather here is smile. The beautiful, warm, spring day forecast has turned into cloud and more dreary weather. Sigh...

No matter your weather, remember a smile can brighten the days for others.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Sunday Smiles

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun May 28, 2017 7:50 am

I actually ran into trouble by smiling yesterday. A couple of the old codgers in Unc's nursing home are 'off' and one tried to hit me when I smiled at him. He looked so vacant and scared, I thought a smile might help. Luckily, I approached warily and was out of range of his wheelchair. That made Unc angry. When Unc rolled by him in his wheelchair, the man grabbed onto it, and Unc hit him back. Dh had to separate them.

Then another gent, who at least could talk, came into Unc's room to defend me when we were talking loudly (Unc is very deaf, even with his hearing aids in.)

So I might not smile as much today when I'm there! I do try and smile to beggars on the street even though I don't give them anything. I feel they are humans and need acknowledgement that they exist.

Have you seen the story about the two homeless men who responded to the bombing in Manchester?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/worl ... .html?_r=0

(I constantly preach that we see God in others. This is an important reminder of that.)

I'm up and dressed. Washed my bra and hiking socks so they'll be ready for part 2 of the trip. Today is the halfway point of the trip. I have just enough clothes to get me home unless the weather stays this cold and dank. Last week I wore hiking socks and my feet nearly died. Yesterday I wore them and they were perfect. Same outside temperature but one day was sunny, the other not.

We've barely been rained on so I don't have much to complain about but the dreariness gets to me. Also, there has not been fog so I don't get the fog horns to cheer me up.

Off to breakfast now.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:14 am

yes I saw that.. the spirit of people is truly amazing.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 28, 2017 9:20 am

yesterday dd's and I saw Hamilton (I bought the tickets when they came up for sale 8 months ago and it was sold out right away. ) I loved it - diverse (finally!) and innovative. I love young people anyway and this again shows complainers the possibilities of all young people. Really amazing. We drove downtown in record time which is so unusual here.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun May 28, 2017 9:41 am

I long ago remembering our pastor (who years later he & his dwife are still counted as 2 of our best friends -live in Indianapolis) saying how he noted that walking at the mall -so many of the shoppers had glum expressions on their faces. Remember him saying how when we smile it's contagious. Yes, but as you know, Kathryn, it doesn't always go that way. But I smile anyway.

DD and I are off to church shortly. Stopping at S am's Club after to pick up Disney cards to go in gift baskets for DS-A, DDIL & DGS4. DD works with another teacher whose dh is one of the head honchos at D isney W orld. She's taking a couple of gift baskets for us and having them put in their room before they get there -surprise from us and her. She asked dd what DGS's favorite character was. She asked ddil and he at first said one of the characters and mentioned later that he really liked Buzz Lightyear because he helps others. :D So, dfriend of dd's is getting him a lanyard and a couple of Buzz Lightyear pins and some balloons. They'll all be in the gift baskets. DD picked up a 24-pack of small bottles of water yesterday. We also have lots of snacks for them. So nice to be able to do this.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:43 am

d dee I love this:
But I smile anyway.
so you.. wonderful! :D

okay i sat on my granny for awhile... it's gray (no sun at all) right now. I have to finish stuff for my d mom's bday dinner. Both girls are still sleeping. :D as we didn't get home until before midnight. long but good day.

ready to be semi productive. I have said my prayers and need to finish pictures for the table.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun May 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Went to Sa m's expressly to pick up D isney cards, They moved then halfway back through the store, Went back only to find they had then in $500 lots, Notta, Used to have like 5-$10 cards for $40 something. They did have a few at $150 but I didn't want that either -for our gift. And there was no bonus. So I'll pick some up at W mart tomorrow morning or maybe dd and I can go this evening after dsonil goes to work. Might be less busy than tomorrow.

Eating my lunch in my room -I'm HUNGRY! DD's in her room now while dsonil rests. I got up at 7 and got a pork roast going in the crockpot in the office. Put everything in our little fridge last night and it'll be ready for his dinner. Just put together a green bean casserole so I can just put that in the oven later. Bought refrigerated mashed potatoes the other day -so dinner is pretty well done without having to wake him too early.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sun May 28, 2017 1:28 pm

I don't know if I mentioned that I have been working very part time at a local restaurant in the kitchen. On Friday night's when it is crazy busy, I look out the large opening towards where all of the customers are either waiting for a seat or waiting for take out. Noticed 2 weeks ago that not a single person waiting was smiling. Noticed this past Friday night that very few people were smiling. So every time I was within view of the window where customers could see me, I smiled. I don't know if it worked or not.

Lovely day here. Dh and I just got back from a large hardware/building/garden centre type of store. We needed some "mesh" type stuff to go over the strawberry plants. Can't let the birds get most of the crop this year.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:55 pm

hello... picked up d mom's balloons, got the pictures done, dd younger dropped her dress at d moms ( my mom is a whiz and fixing things) and we got star-bucks (treat)

now to dye my hair

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun May 28, 2017 3:28 pm

my husband not dear husband rototiller every perennial i had in the garden - I even told him and he said there were only weeds - I can't believe it.

Return to “Post When You Can”