TACKLING TUESDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: TACKLING TUESDAY

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Before leaving this morning, I bought the tickets from here to Perth, Australia. All flights from Perth to Wellington, NZ went through Sydney or Melbourne so I've left time (I hope) and will buy separate tickets for that. I'm now stuck on the trip for the whole time, we'll be gone 25 days.

Next up, buy the Sydney to Wellington tickets. I've chosen Air NZ because we have lounge access, more luggage allowance and can pick better seats. They are also a little bit cheaper (and sold in C$ so I don't have to mess with currency conversion.) I hate spending money to to actually book those tickets is making me ill but I better do it. Already, our choice for a flight back is a compromise.

I'll go do that and then think about dinner.

I see that since my last post the rain seems to have stopped and I even see a bit of blue ski on the horizon to the north. So maybe I'll get a walk in this evening.

Edited to add: the booking is made. I missed lunch today but had popcorn at the theatre. Now, because I've spent so much money, I feel too ill to eat dinner (leftover chicken.) Maybe I can find some soup and crackers to have.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:21 pm

I just checked in a major revision to a report. It's not completely finished, but is a working interim version. What this means is that in one place, it is doing a calculation correctly, but calculating the wrong thing. My 3 am ideas actually worked! My financial advisor is handling the life insurance questions. This company is well known for not great customer service, they prefer to work through agents (which he is). In answer to blessedw2's question, what appears to have happened is that they cashed the first electronic payments but the transaction was cancelled because it went to one of the many wrong addresses. The money went back to my account and the second attempt at electronic payment has evaporated - neither the bank nor the insurance company have it in their database. I believe I owe them money, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to them. It's too far away to simply go to their office. (Or maybe not. With all the address confusion maybe they are down the street.)

I have not determined my priorities for this evening, though a real dinner is one of them. Not enough $$$ to eat out, so it will be at home. Assuming I do not discover something of higher importance or urgency this is the plan (not in order): May minutes and notes for the animal org, MBR work, serge some dog beds, pick up DD15 at VBS and drop her at the x's house, watch borrowed video.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Shorter shift yea is done. H is on his way home hot and a bit on the surly side. Dinner is done.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:57 pm

Home from WW meeting and DMom's. I had my 4th weight loss in a row. My usual pattern is 2 or 3 weeks of loss than a gain. When charted the weight loss is clearly going in a downward direction but it has some bumps along the way. I expected this week would be a gain to match my typical pattern but instead I had the tiniest loss possible (.2 lbs).

I didn't get my hair colored before I left. I started dealing with paperwork and the time evaporated. The next thing I knew it was time to leave.

password managers - do you guys use one?

I have selected and downloaded a couple password manager to try but never stopped long enough to get it set up. (my 1st choice is KeePass but might go with LastPass) My current password file (xcel) contains 326 passwords. I need time to focus on making the move to the password manager. I don't want to do it when I'm in Mom/Nana mode.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:04 pm

I am hoping to write a long post of response and have made notes for it just now. Don't laugh. This is how behinder I am. Way behinder. That will probably post in the morning.

Finished another part of course this a.m. with an essay turned in
Tomorrow morning at 9 starts up another part so now is breathing time
Several times have started writing to tell ya'll about the course but don't have time
This is a worthwhile "tangent" :geek: that will be a big gap in my life in one way but a "joy forever" after that
Family looking at me like the RCA dog most of the time - I do not compute

Have a story.
Yesterday package did not arrive by 8 p.m. plan, or nightfall
computer tracking to figure it out
says it was left at our front door 8 p.m. (still daylight then)
HRH and I search around house in dark/rain - not anywhere
I get in car at 10:00 and go to mailbox to shine lights on ground
(where I found paperback Bibles for Angel Tree at Christmas)
sure enough, happened again - package on wet ground there
grabbed it up and home - outside WET like Bible package was
HRH is opening it in dining room, seems normal AND... ... ...
Eeeeeeewwwwwww!
Ants - HUNDREDS of them INSIDE box are frightened and running out now
HRH races out door holding package in front of him
ants on table, floor - we were so upset
Items inside okay, mostly because of tight individual packaging, save one... ..

BIG complaint registered about LaserShip delivery - they were the ones who left the paperback Bibles like that, too, and both times raining!!! Both times they said online they left it at front door! Both times I found package just before the damage become really terrible. HRH says when weather's so wet, ants search for dry shelter, and more and more and more would have come if not found package before we went to bed. We could have opened to find thousands by then. Of course, if those Bibles had been left overnight they would have been ruined.

Anyway, the one item... ... a pair of sneakers for me. I can't SEE any ants, and they look fine, but I keep turning them over and over and peering deeeeep inside :lol:

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:20 pm

I can count the number of sports I watch on TV each year on one finger....maybe two fingers in a busy year. So I find it kinds weird that I'm interested in watching the softball game tonight (College world series). It is a playoff with best of 3 games. Last night our state university won game #1 of 3 after the longest game ever (17 innings) in a championship series. These women are tough!

I'm going to work on more paperwork while watching the game.
1. Know what you want.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:20 pm

Password Manager:

I'm using LastPass. Not completely sold on it because it occasionally doesn't work and autofill when I ask it to. It doesn't play well with my tablet or phone. I have it installed in both my main browsers (Chrome and Firefox) and it seems to slow things down a bit at times. Painfully slow at other times.

The other issue is that if you steal my computer while I have it suspended, you steal my identity since Lastpass is open and so you have access to all my passwords as long as you never turn off the computer.

As well, if the computer crashes, Chrome hasn't been shut down properly so Lastpass opens up when it recovers.

So, in many ways, my password book is more secure (since it isn't part of my computer.)

On the other hand:

I love the fact that it asks if I want to save a new password. I love that it found dozens of them for me so I'm not using my password book near as often.

I haven't yet changed my passwords to stronger ones but I mean to.

I like it generating random passwords for me when I ask although the password generate button doesn't seem to work inside the 'new account' set-up screen, I have to open up Lastpass to do it. Although the one I did yesterday which was gobbledygook was rated as only 87% despite it being 16 characters and random. Not sure why.

And websites like Choice hotels are still really dodgy. But that isn't necessarily Lastpass's fault, I couldn't get into them reliably before, either. At least now I know the correct password and account name are being entered since the computer is doing it for me.

Once dh gets an account as well, then things we share (travel reward programs & Netflix for example) can have a shared password in each of our vaults so if one of us changes something, we'll both get a record of the change. This is really important if we are told to change a password while the other is traveling.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:27 pm

Finally ate dinner at 7:15.

Our super dropped by and agreed to let dh replace the screen I broke in the patio door and supplied all the tools and screening. Dh did that while we watched a talking-head video. He wanted to do the repair himself because he can. I'm pleased it wasn't another task for our super to do. I'd hate to add to his workload unnecessarily.

I washed up the dishes and tidied up the kitchen.

The apartment needs a lot of work, though. I'm off to bed now and will tackle it in the morning.

Tomorrow afternoon/evening we have a car maintenance so we'll go out for dinner while the work is being done.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:36 pm

The game is over. Our state won. I'm not celebrating because I have no emotional involvement. I thought the other team gals were awesome too.

I'm seeing progress on DS8 attitude. It has been a long hard road (and it isn't over yet). It is really hard when other parents don't make their children be respectful. Thankfully most of DS8 friends are good influences.
1. Know what you want.

Return to “Post When You Can”