MONDAY MOTIVATION(S)

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: MONDAY MOTIVATION(S)

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:44 am

In general the ceremony, which was only 45 minutes not the hour we were warned about, was a chore to get through, not a joy.
Somewhat same with the wedding we attended on Saturday. The church is a minor basilica and beautiful with Louis Comfort Tiffany designed stained glass, but the acoustics were horrible, even when a mic was used. It was very difficult to understand what was being said - sounds seemed to be muddled. And we were far enough back that we could see very little too. What I saw and heard of the service itself was interesting - I don't know what it's called when everyone is invited for communion but stayed in our seats, obviously. I felt like I spent my time admiring the beauty of the windows and sanctuary.

Reception was lovely - all the latest Pinterest trends! I don't know when I've seen a wedding that the dance floor was so full so fast. It was nice that the reception started at 4 p.m. as it wasn't a late night. I think ds had a decent time, I saw him once talking to another groomsman at the head table, and another time dh saw him on his phone, probably bored. I'll get dh to send me photos, and I'll try to get one in members only.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:34 am

sounds like a beautiful church!!! I know when I don't know what's going on at a service and it's long I have a hard time as well. I like when a service is held in a beautiful area. My favourite memories as a teen was early morning service outside.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:59 am

Good morning! Friday, I joined the 21st century (I think) and got a smart phone. HATE HATE HATE. Took all weekend before I figured out how to answer it. There is no voice mail that will work, I guess if you have a smart phone you are expected to have it 24/7. Not possible when you work with federally protected tax and health info. It copies things to the clip tray, but there is no clip tray to be found, so it is not possible to paste. It installed random apps while I wasn't looking after I installed two I wanted. DD15 was able to figure out how to delete some, but never showed me. There is no help file or read me. I am sure all this could be solved by RTFM, but there is no FM to R. Why does everyone want this? Tonight's WTF task is to go back to the phone place and get someone to find my voice mail, clip tray, and turn off install random apps. I sent my first text this morning.

The closest match to the yarn for the unicorn is not close enough, so I have to start over a third time. Bills & budget => broke again. Saturday, someone was interested in Briggs and Stratton. Cat program coordinator is worried about their income level if vet issues arise. The son and granddaughter, who volunteers for us, wanted to pick up the cats for her. Not ok with that! I want her to meet them before getting them. They thought that was reasonable and are coming Wednesday. Would have been today, but I have to get the blasted phone to work. I simply cannot have a phone with no voice mail!

DD is back from camp and loved it. She wants to return next year as a counselor in training. Her description of it to her grandfather could have been used as advertising copy. We stopped in the ~6000 person town nearby and enjoyed the hot springs bathhouse. I asked her if this was the size town she had in mind for her future, but she said she wants to live on a farm. NOOOOOOOOO!!! I do NOT want to visit someone with chickens EVER. My family has spent generations, starting with my great-grandfather, trying to LEAVE the farm. This is a GIANT STEP BACKWARDS! Into Hades!

In answer to helia's question on Friday, yes, it is a popup camper trailer I keep seeing. An A frame that is push button up and down. It is 15k new. Is it practical for me? Not now. Later, maybe. There may also be better options for me. I will not start researching my options until I can consider purchasing. At least I have a ballpark idea of what to budget.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Oh, Elizabeth! You have my sympathies over the phone. Bad news, you are not likely to get random apps eliminated.

I'm assuming you have an Android phone so you'll have some options but it depends on what else the manufacturer and service provider have added. Dh keeps ending up with unlocked AT&T phones and the number of programs they add to their phones is ridiculous.

I have an Acer.

Which is failing me spectacularly. It will not notify me of text messages or emails. Which makes it pretty useless as a communication device. I can receive and send but despite the fact that the volume is on high and it is also to vibrate, nothing happens. It will also send a notification to the car stereo but only if my phone generates a notification. Which it isn't.

There are other major problems with it, specifically battery suddenly getting low for no reason and therefore the phone shuts down. Each time it shuts down, it resets itself to some unknown time in its life (not out-of-the-box but also not recent settings.) So 80% of my apps disappear off the home screen (but not 100%, that would be easier to comprehend.) The phone has 4x the memory of my last phone but that isn't enough. I thought I could move things to the SD card but every update and every reset moves all the apps back to my phone. It takes about 20 minutes to move everything back. In the meantime, the phone can no longer do any updates because it has no storage left.

That's on my to-do list. I can back it up somehow and then do a factory reset to see if this will solve the new problems. Because it is a very cheap ($100) Acer phone, there are no user forums or help documents to research with. The programs moving back from SD Card is a problem with Android and even Samsung owners have the problem so that isn't a cheap-phone issue.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:34 pm

Yes, I do have an android. My coworker told me how to find the clip tray. You are supposed to simply push and hold in a place that allows editing. Not very difficult, but how in the sam hill is one supposed to figure it out? It seems they expect you to find all your features by accident. What the @#$%!!! kind of user interface is that? If I wrote something like that at payroll, I would be fired.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:51 pm

I think my energy is low today. Trying to figure out what I can reasonably accomplish. I have a second load of laundry going, the first load was all hung up to dry.

I got lost upstairs and started on the bonus room. :shock:

-make the bed
-pull recycling out of kitchen pantry closet, add to bin in garage
-refill meds container
-water plants
-lunch
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:56 pm

I dumped trash last evening. Rest day tosay fir me, I a regrouping. Mosted the post at the trading fence it was not as heavy as I thoughy yea! More visable from the road now. Brought home rocks that needed labeled did that. Painting a few with a new technique I ame trying out.

Have a great day!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:14 pm

Found the user manual for the phone. I can now RTFM. However, there is nothing about voice mail. Is it really possible that android phones have no voice mail? WTF?!?!?!? (And I don't mean Worst Things First here). There is a Do Not Disturb option. But what good is it if there is no voice mail? And I am already very disturbed by the whole thing. Really? NO VOICE MAIL!?!?!?! I refuse to be one of those people who never step away from their phone. I would rather go back to landlines. At least they had voice mail and you could get away from them. There is something labelled voice mail, but it does not function. Does anyone out there have an android? Do I have to pay extra for voice mail? No one mentioned it.

"It's not rocket science," they say. No, of course not. I can do rocket science. I even have a certification from Satellite Toolkit. It's more like quantum mechanics, which was the bane of my existence.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:20 pm

hi d elizabeth wtf - for modern family fans: why the face :D I like that one :D sorry you are having trouble with your voicemail coming through

hi d Nancy glad you have a chance to regroup

hi d twins. You need the rest - such a busy weekend - hope you get to just chill

hi d kathryn sorry you are having trouble with your phone too.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:51 pm

See, this is why I don't have a smart phone. I don't have the band width in my brain (or the time) to go through all Elizabeth and Kathryn are going through with their phones. DH is still struggling with his flip phone, it is way different than his old Nokia he used forever.

I just got a form sent to me by someone. It is an Excel form, and they converted it to something that would run in the version (old) that I have... and I couldn't get it to work at all.

The document that took DH and I 8 hours to produce on Saturday has been delivered to the mortgage place, along with the corrected and updated contract I did last night. If they want anything else I think I shall scream.

Breakfast out with my 2 girlfriends. We didn't get out of there till noon. It usually takes us 2 hours. We have lots to catch up on since we only do this 3 times a year. Wonderful conversation this time. One of my friends and I go back 30 years. The other about 15. The older friend and I were talking about taking trips, and agreeing just how tired we are afterward for a few days. It was encouraging to find out it's not just me, but it is apparently anyone our age.

Grey and cloudy. Looks like rain. I will be moving a truck with DH sometime soon. Need to get caught up with my desk, I've missed my post girl, but will get everything ready for tomorrow.

Return to “Post When You Can”