Two Minute Tuesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Two Minute Tuesday

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 am

There's a "Getting Things Done" rule or suggestion that, if a task will only take two minutes, just go ahead and do it instead of placing it on a list for later processing. Here's a sample of online articles:
http://www.success.com/article/1-on-1-d ... inute-rule
http://johnmeese.com/two-minute-rule/
https://facilethings.com/blog/en/basics-two-minute-rule

Today I'm invoking the two minute rule to get stuff done....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Re: Two Minute Tuesday

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:29 am

I gotta get moving. Need to ck with dr's office on time for my appt - they open at 7:30. EeeecccK, my appt is on calendar for 8:20, but I'm not sure it's correct.

Later I am picking up dcousin to have lunch with dmom.

And my appt is at 12:40. Yikes. I need to either cancel or figure out a workaround. How did I do that?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:37 am

Have lots of things that would take 2 minutes or less around here. So why procrastinate?

Got up a little before 7. Was awake mostly between 3-7. Used the bathroom every hour, on the hour.

It was raining off and on the last couple of hours I was in bed. Got a doozy of a storm about 5:30 last night. See rain is in the forecast a good deal for the rest of the week. Know dcampowner says this is the 2nd worst year (so far) he's had in 20 years. Know our own dks and their family and friends from Ottawa have decided to just camp at DS-A's (he has a beautiful lot, lending itself very well for camping). They have the pool there and lots of things for the dgks to play on, in, around. He has the back of their property beautifully landscaped and they have their own motorhome there and picnic and spend many a night there. They all plan to come here Saturday for all the events & the best fireworks display just about anywhere. We'll all hang out at DS-R's RV. They probably have the best site in the campground for watching.

Have someone interested in looking at our sofa/bed. Wish they'd come look and take it. I want to order a desk for that corner of the room. Most of my life seems to be spent on 'office' stuff and I need an office!

Took my thyroid med about 40 minutes ago so guess I can get on with the rest of my morning routine now.

Found out last night that my dear friend/neighbor Ithe one whose ovarian cancer is on about the 4th round) has decided they're staying here this winter. Renting an apartment a few miles from here. They were staying in Zephyrhills -about 25 miles from us on FL. But we never got together this winter -between her running to Moffet in Tampa & me being sick. She says it's time to stay here. If she gets to remission she doesn't stay there long. She has a daughter here -in a group home and a few members of her family. Her son would like them to move to NH -very unlikely.

DD's taking our 2 dgs's (4 & 12) to the movies today. I decided not to go.

Now to see how many 2-minute tasks I can get done this morning. :mrgreen:
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:54 am

The 2-minute rule does pop into my head as I am considering items that need to be done. It is constantly surprising me how quickly most things can be done.

My day has taken a HUGE change. DD is off work today and DH has agreed to DS8 going with DD for several hours. This is a first. DD will pick DS8 up at 9am and take him to his 3 appointments today. We will pick DS8 up after our appt with the financial advisor. Inch by inch the relationship with DD is healing. DS8 is not okay with today's arraignment but I am pushing him to do it. DS8 has very strong feeling against DD being in charge of him even for a few hours. I am hoping this goes smoothly.

My day just developed a 4-hour block of time of nothing planned. I will be all alone for 2 of those hours. What shall I do with myself?

But before I get into "all alone" mode I need to gather DS8 things he will need for today. Swim clothes, towel, swim google, ear plugs, etc, dry clothes to wear, speech folder ......oh man. This reminds me of all those years of packing a diaper bag.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 am

So I cancelled and need to reschedule appt with dermatologist, left my phone no for them to call me to reschedule. I scheduled the appt over a month ago, just got the wrong time on my calendar with a note that I needed to check the time. And I just now realized it.

I'm supposed to get dcousin around 11:15, and we'll go to assisted living and have lunch with dmom. I need to check with her, and also let assisted living place know we'll be there for lunch.

Right now:
-breakfast, meds/vitamins
-s2s
-empty dishwasher
-make the bed
-start a lol

I hope all goes well today, LadyM. Will ds8 want to "act out" with dd?

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:21 am

Hoping things go smoothly with DS8, LadyM.

This HAS to be a little easier on you, Twins -being able to go see dMom and leave without quite as much responsibility?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:33 am

Hello hello - heading out!!!

((for your ds))) If he doesn't trust her it must be for a good reason. She has a lot of work to do to build that trust again. I wouldn't push their relationship - he needs to be the one to choose his relationship. I think you can help him see her as a human who got lost/sick but if he doesn't feel safe with her it's best not to push it. (your dd may be your dd but he needs to feel safe from her while or when she is ill or inconsistent. He is lucky he has you as his mom because he knows he is safe with you and you listen to him. Your love is unconditional and what a wonderful gift for your d son to grow up with.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:48 am

Will ds8 want to "act out" with dd?

I don't think so. DS8 and my conversation when I told him about the arraignment -
DS8: "How long do I have to stay with her? She is NOT my mother and she is NOT going to tell me what to do"
Me: She is in charge of you and DGD6 while you are with her. If you don't want her telling you what to do, then act right and don't get into trouble.

I'm not sure that is the right thing to tell DS8. I'm not sure of anything. I am trying to encourage DS8 to come down from being in "high alert" mode when he is around DD.

DS8 has picked up lots of negative emotions toward DD from DGS23 & DGS21. DH take on the situation is "They feel betrayed and abandoned by DD and they are not going to get over that". My take on the situation is = I think they can heal their relationship. The strength of their negative emotions is decreasing but it is a slow process.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:36 am

high alert means he has no trust of her and I think there must be reasons - trust him. I think you can say I how hard this is and that you understand his feelings. If anything happens where he feels unsafe or needs your advice he should be able to call you. He probably acts up with her to protect himself or he is very angry at her because of what she has done. It will take time for him to trust her and have their relationship be better... unfortunately its all your dd to do the work on that; to show she is trustworthy and that she has changed.

What you said was perfect . Do you trust her? He will eventually let down the wall once his mom truly understands what she has done to him (not how he is reacting) that caused so much anger and fear. Has she apologized to him yet? It's not about how she feels but how he feels. You really are an amazing mother and person d lady! It is a slow slow process.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:54 am

Thank you Twins for the two-minute challenge.

I read it before I got out of bed. Each of these items took less than 2 minutes each:

- put away the empty suitcases
- hang up/put away the clothes that can be worn again
- put the dirty clothes in the basket
- put away the travel pillow and shoe bags
- bring the clean dry clothes into the bedroom
- put away my hair things
- put away the suit bags
- put away the sheet and the pillow I was using when I was sick
- put on the load of laundry (using the basket to carry the travel vitamin container, an apron, and my water bottle to the kitchen.)
- while the kettle boiled I emptied the dishwasher
- while my tea steeped I tidied and wiped down the kitchen counters

So that feels like a lot is done. The bed needs to be stripped and remade which take 20 minutes so that task is still undone but aside from that the bedroom went from trashed to just an unmade bed.

The kitchen feels open and ready as opposed to dirty counters and cluttered.

I'm having my tea and chocolate now. I laid out an outfit for today while putting away clothes so when I go to get dressed, that is done (except I have both bras in the wash so that will be a bit of a challenge.)

That is just the tip of the iceberg around here but even last night while I brushed my teeth (2 minutes because my brush has a timer) I put away my keys and my Tilley hats (multiple hats were dumped around the apartment.) I knew it wouldn't make a huge difference but it would make some (and in case of a fire alarm, I'd know where my keys were since I spotted them in the living room as I went to get ready for bed and thought, 'I need to remember they are here.')

Return to “Post When You Can”