A HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

A HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:15 am

Even if you're not a US citizen, still have a happy fourth of July! :D
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: A HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:22 am

When this holiday falls on a Tuesday, it makes for one very long weekend and I can only believe that when it falls on Wednesday next year it'll even seem longer! But I have a feeling that the "Fourth" won't be celebrated (at least here at the campground) until the 7th next year.

I was up around 5 and went back to bed and slept till nearly 8am. I've only taken my thyroid med so far this morning. Time to get moving. I forgot and took a whole diabetic med at dinner time last night so I'm experiencing a low BS this morning. I have just this week's container to change out the meds in. Think I took all the extra blood pressure meds out for this week but forgot to split that med in half.

Guess I'll at least get s2s and the bed made while I wait for time to take rest of my meds and eat breakfast. It's going to be a 9 o'clock start to today for sure.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:32 am

Hi, everyone. I've been very grateful I didn't have a dog to worry about the last few days, and wondered if all our neighbor dogs were getting along all right. Other critters seemed (seemed - I hope it was true) to be dealing with the bombardment. Have to wonder how wildlife reacts. It was mentioned at church as difficult for several family dogs. I guess (?) it continues tonight as well. Seems like every evening has been "the" evening, since Saturday at least, but I believe some Friday, too.

I was early to bed and early to rise. I've exercised and have my oatmeal cooking. A big detour was encountered when I realized that the dishwasher had not been turned on last evening, after every other of the 99 things to do had happened. Sigh. Surprising how much that gets in the way of the morning.

helia

Postby helia » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:40 am

Good morning friends! I had payroll yesterday, but not today-- though I don't have a T-Th class this session anyway.

Our dogs are OK with the distant fireworks. When we set off our own tonight, Maia might run off (we'll probably keep her in the house), but Pepper will be cool as a cucumber. She will probably even try to play with the fountains, as she has done in the past. This crazy dog likes fireworks!! So funny, one dog will run away, the other we'll have to restrain from running toward them.

I had an extra payroll meeting yesterday and got home around 4 pm. I took an hour to veg and work on a groc. list, then I was off to 2 groc. stores and home again around 6:20. Dinner was quite late last night, but I'm SO glad I don't need to go to the groc. store today. I will go to WF tomorrow to get some good baby back ribs for ds' birthday celebration tomorrow night.

We're having a small gathering here tonight with our family, the C family, and a friend of dd21's. A friend of dd19's was going to join us but isn't after all. We're grilling chicken -- dh already has the tandoori chicken marinating, and I'll get the fresh lemon thyme chicken marinating this afternoon. It doesn't need to marinate as long as the tandoori.

Our city's July 4th parade is not the best, so we typically skip it. The only years I went to it were when dd19 was marching in it with her drumline. Our city also doesn't have a fireworks display -- we've never understood why not. :?: The small towns around us do have them, but we usually don't go. We just set off some of our own at our house, which is what we'll plan on doing tonight.

We actually are hosting 3 small dinner parties this week: July Fourth tonight, ds' birthday tomorrow night, and Th. dinner the next night. If the C family eats with us on Sunday, as they usually do, we'll be feeding them 4x this week.

Anyhow, main goals for today. Maybe too many?
1. Jog the arb hill
2. Finish a.m. routine
3. Rabbit care for dfriend
4. Spiff main bathroom
5. Quick vac of living areas
6. Progress on gardening
7. Help get dinner together
8. Host Fourth of July gathering here
9. Prep for payroll tomorrow

Have a Happy Day all!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:54 am

Our 4th of July celebrations started with multiple family gatherings on July 1st and have continued. Today is 2 local community celebrations. July 7th is the last community celebration. I'm not a fan of fireworks because of how they terrorize my dog. I am ready for the firework popping to be over. Although I'm not a fan of fireworks, I do appreciate the family & community gathering together. This is one of the best things about living in small town.

DS8 had bloody nose during the night so I have bedding and comforter to wash. On the good side.....I hadn't already changed sheets on beds yet this week.

Today is Homeschool Day #12. Yes, we are doing school today because we have an open morning and the more we do school the faster it will be over!
Tonight is more fireworks.

recommendations for a rechargeable hand vac.

Dee - This is the one I recently bought at a garage sale - The lady was selling it because her husband bought her another one for Mother's Day and she didn't need 2 of them. I am pleased with how it works. Although I probably would have hem-hawed on paying full price because I'm that way. :)

Beach Boys and the Temptations! ♫ ♫ ♪ ♪ ♫ One never ages when one has music

Harmony & Blessed - I agree!

we lost our newest tv (digital)

(((Sunny))) Does it have a reset button? Just wishing there was a easy fix.

If they have time travel, I recommend they buy groceries during the Great Depression

Elizabeth - I love your quick wit!

he fell 4 1/2 - 5 ft. 

Harmony !!!!! I'm glad he didn't break any bones or get hurt bad.

this land is our land

Sadie - Congratulations! You did well to track down the solution and follow it to a successful end.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:41 am

We did have one dog escape from a camper during the fireworks Saturday night. Luckily he was found yesterday morning wandering the campground. Always feel so bad for anyone with bad memories of booming sounds. In addition to even more fireworks around us tonight we have the Civil War reenactment just about 1/2 mile from us at Genesee Country Museum. DGS4 is very interested in all this stuff so DS-A & family are going over there for the day. (We gave them a family membership as their Christmas gift so they can go anytime they like). So there'll be 'booming' all day long.

I'm not even s2s yet so guess I'd better get moving since it's going for 10am! :o Although I find myself rather tired today. Oh please don't anyone add things to today's list!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 am

It's a rainy fourth of July here - we will still have fried chicken and music with the neighborhood at the pool later - at least there's a covered area. Dh is going to the store to get ingredients for me to make a 7 layer Mediterranean dip - it will be compliant with my eating plan, and I will also have (some) fried chicken. I think all but the breading is okay anyway.

I need to have breakfast and take meds and all that stuff....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:58 am

I've been fascinated by the articles, opinions, etc., regarding the purchase of Whole Foods by A-River and what that will mean, socially and economically, for our futures. Many predict a transformation of the grocery industry. Almost no one seems to believe that WF will continue the same influence it has had on encouraging organic requirements in marketplace/mindsets, and maybe others will have to step up to "be" who WF has been if that's going to continue. I'm surprised there's less discussion of delivery, and more of products that may survive or not, but it's A-River's choice of WF, when others seemed to be more "ripe" for picking (excuse the pun) that seems to be the shock. Slate magazine called A-River "one of the most brutally efficient and standardized retailers in the world, a company with a relentless focus on selling things cheaper and faster" and asked if this "...signals the end of the dream ... for the entire organic foods business."

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:24 am

I'm enjoying our local Sam's Club having an increase stock of organic selections. I don't think we have a WF in our state so we are limited on access to that store. I would love if A-river made it available to us.

Sidetrack warning.......remember I warned ya. I admit that I didn't heed my own warning before looking at .......169 pages of Passion Planner
Last edited by LadyMaverick on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:25 am

Happy Independence Day!

I'm moving fairly well. I was in bed for 9 hours last night but not really. Couldn't sleep so finally got up at 11:30 and went back to bed after doing some reading and note-taking at midnight. Fell asleep almost instantly then. An article attached to my fitness tracker said to give it 30 minutes and if you still aren't asleep, get up and move around for a bit. Since I stayed in bed for 90 minutes, as still as I could, I got credit for 'sleep' that didn't happen. I was double tracking (using the sleep app as well as the tracker) and both were fooled by how still I was.

Anyway, I forced myself to get up and dressed before going into the kitchen for my tea. And then worked more on sermon prep while having my tea. I have a reasonable number of notes now.

Hair appointment is in 90 minutes and we'll leave in 55 so I need to get some lunch as well.

Off of yesterday's to-do list, I've paid a bill, a 2 minute task that had been put off.

Dd has agreed to dinner so a family dinner (at a restaurant) it is. They arrive home at 6:10 and so I'll pick them up at the airport and meet dh and ds at a family restaurant on the way to dd's house. I called dibs on seeing dgs first, narrowly beating out ds! Dd posted some cute photos of dgs with his cousin who is just 3 months younger (but the same size.) She is still the spitting image of her grandfather so the two babies don't look like twins despite being the same size. Dgs seems to be a mix of his dad and our genes (looking quite like ds at times which freaks out dd.)

Return to “Post When You Can”