THINKING THURSDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: THINKING THURSDAY

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Harriet: Wow, that is expensive, Harriet. I just paid the equivalent of $350 (C$500) for two pairs of glasses yesterday. One pair is single vision, the other is progressive lens so reading and distance and in-between. But mine was Costco. We'd have paid more than you otherwise. Two times ago, dh insisted on a special type of lens not available from Costco and we paid C$750 and he had nothing but trouble that took months to get them usable but he was never happy with them. Two years later he conceded to Costco and paid just under C$500. At first he wasn't happy and I told him to go back and sure enough, with a few adjustments they were just fine. Eye glasses is one thing that more than pays for the membership costs each year. (Currently yogurt is as well, I save our annual fee over 5 months of buying just yogurt, not to mention the savings on butter, eggs, bacon, etc. etc.)

The fact that three of us had eye appointment this week is quite the coincidence.

Dee: you forgot to look at my bullet journal today. It says it will be Filing Friday!

Elizabeth I, too, found smart phones non-intuitive. I think it is because we are applying our long-time computing skills to the device. Once you stop trying to think "how does this work?", or more likely in your case since you are a programmer, "why in the world would it work like this?!" and just think swipe, pinch, reverse pinch, and give up on the idea of keyboard shortcuts, etc, life will be a bit easier. They may be called smart phones but I find they expect simple users so nothing is really that sophisticated. BTW: nothing works the way you expect it to. I've been using them for about 4 years now and I still complain almost every time I use the dumb thing.

I will say, since factory resetting my phone by battery life (mostly 2 days between charges) is back even though I have all the same apps on the phone again. Weird. I was down to having to charge twice a day some days and every 2 days other days and there was nothing different in my use each time.

No real progress to report here. We had to investigate one more food truck so walked over and talked to the owner. He's decided not to come to our Residents' bbq because he doesn't think there's enough business for two trucks. Really it takes 100 people to make it worth his time. He doesn't want to step on the Halal truck's business this time since we usually only get about 50 people turning out. What we've arranged is that if this is a success, we'll have him come in August and have the place to himself. He likes the idea that we want him right after he closes up for the day and we are 3 long blocks away. His fryers won't have cooled down so it isn't a lot of extra work for the potential.

So next up is updating website, posters and get a newsletter out.

My trip planning had me writing MF and he will be there the Sunday I think I'll be passing through on our way home so that set of stars lined up. Dsil's mother wrote about which route for us to take. We've also been talking about her mourning the loss of her mother. I was able to tell her that dsil was having a hard time and we had a hug over it. She also had given dgs a wonderful light projector that he loves so I could report on the success of her gift in giving him something to watch while he drifted off to sleep.

MF and I are also trying to get a 'date' together this month. We have something tentative set up since the other day didn't work out. Finally he wrote to say his step-nephew has been in an accident in Thailand and his step-sister is on her way. They won't operate on him until they have proof she will pay so she has to get there. I can't imagine that stress but it was one of my fears when ds was in Australia and looking to take a side trip to Thailand.

I really need to get going on something urgent instead of the trip planning which is fun.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:19 pm

1 hour paperwork done and phone calls done:
new attorney set for will
old will being sent
bills paid and went to post office
spoke to brother
waiting for my mom's doctor to call
what I spent written down
filled out survey
ordered harry potter in french (book 1)

hi d kathyrn

d nancy I will be thinking of your d friend.

oh oh spacing out again - time for timer

ordered new water heater - wow not cheap. :shock:
fence repair deposit put in as well :shock:
Last edited by blessedw2 on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:23 pm

I've been piddling around with some DNA matches. On GedMatch, there is a lady who manages 15 dna kits and I match all of of them. About half the matches are estimated as 4 generations from me, the rest, probably the younger generation, are five generations. I think I just figured out that this match is on my father's side - I'm learning as I go - I did a utility to see what kits match both me and the first cousin once removed that I found recently, and these mysterious people don't match the cousin. I know she is on my mother's side. I need to download my mother's DNA from Family Tree DNA and upload at Gedmatch to be sure, but as an initial indication, it's pretty strong.

But I need to tear myself away from this to the TOTH.
-reboot laundry, start another load
-try to call the Habitat person about getting stuff picked up
-move dog food around
-plunge the toilet :roll: Dh did leave a note of apology that he couldn't find the plunger this morning
-other tasks to TOTH

My glasses are typically at least $500 and I don't get the most expensive frames. But I figure that if I have to wear them all the time, I might as well get frames that are interesting and that I love. I do need to get the "plastic" lenses, which drive up the cost - otherwise I'd be wearing the bottom of coke bottles. Mine are also bifocals, scratch resistant all the bells and whistles.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Here is a link to a map with one of my driving plans. If you are in NY, OH, MI, IN, IL, IA, NE, SD, ND, MN and are interested in a visit in the third week of August, please look at the link and let me know. Dee, don't bother looking, I'm hoping to see you around September 8th since I'll be driving by then for the wedding. If August is better, though, let me know.

https://goo.gl/maps/w6e2WhM4CGs

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:28 pm

We'll figure something for the September time, Kathryn. That would be wonderful! Maybe dh can finally meet Ken. We'll see where the trip is taking you and try to meet you or you're always welcome here. Where is the wedding btw?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:12 pm

I had a good start to my day. Before 7am I had walked the trail at the park, did swim pool maintenance and went swimming. I can feel my energy level rising a bit more each day.

Homeschool Day #17 went exceptionally smooth. I have no expectation for this to happen on a daily basis, but it was a nice experience. I started tracking the # of minutes that DS8 takes breaks during the 3-5 hours of school. I am a bit shocked to discover how low it is. Yesterday was 16 minutes and today was 13 minutes. I expected it to be triple that amount. I think what makes it seem like we are taking more breaks is that we change location so frequently. Changing location takes seconds but it makes it seem like we are constantly on break because of the change.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:47 pm

glad you are feeling your energy coming back to you d lady
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:24 pm

Went to the little free library traded rocks and left 6 books brought back one. KidN & I just did story time. Her mom is helping friends mom and traded cars not so much fun for kids. hosed off the dog she smells & feels better and is dry now.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:48 pm

Dee: wedding is in Niagara Falls on the 9th. So we'll be heading past you on the 8th and 10th.

I did a couple of 2 minute tasks (that took longer) and went to get dh to change the battery in my watch but it is working fine at the moment. It had lost light and sound on the countdown time so stopped using it. Today the display looked stronger and the light and alarm are working. At least I have batteries for when it stops working.

I need 5K more steps for the day but think I may go for a lower count today. I've been working rather had for the past 4 days so can take a low count day and still maintain the average.

Off to to more tidying.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:19 pm

It is 5:15 and we normally leave at 4:30. Carpool driver is in a meeting doing something that must get done today. I was forewarned and decided to risk it. I have not made a single one of the DPCs I needed and now it is too late.

Return to “Post When You Can”