THOUGHTFUL THURSDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
lucylee

Re: THOUGHTFUL THURSDAY

Postby lucylee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:58 pm

We just got back from seeing Dunkirk. Ads all say it starts tomorrow, but usually our local theaters will start on Thursday night before Friday opening. Maybe they all do? It's good -- but if I'm really playing movie critic, I'd say it is low on character development. It's one of those movies where a LOT of the characters look alike, you know? Young men in soldier uniforms. It doesn't really let you know a lot about any of them as far as background or anything like that. The older man who has the civilian ship featured most in the rescue is the most interesting character of all, and I liked the British commander on the beach, but it was just hard to "relate" to any of them.
OTOH -- with 400,000 men on a beach, I guess the sheer number in harm's way was the story itself, and the individuals kind of got lost in the shuffle.

Other than that, I went with ds & dgrands for dgs's swimming lesson, which I'd rate about a 6 on a scale of 1-10. DGS no longer fusses about being under water or having his face in the water, but he is adamant that he is not jumping from the (very low) diving board. He almost seems to enjoy it if someone pushes him in, but he cannot summon the courage to take the leap himself. I am sooo sympathetic, b/c he is being sooo much braver than I would be. I never jumped off the diving board myself, when I took lessons at 15. (And the only reason I took lessons is b/c my 13-yr-old best friend was taking, PLUS my boyfriend at the time was having a swimming party soon.)
But I talk a good game.
He promises to try very hard next week. ;)
Swimming lessons are only 4 days a week, so she can have Friday as a make-up day for rain-outs. DS & I figured up today, she is making close to $5000 dollars every two weeks at this. :shock: YES. That is five THOUSAND dollars every two weeks. I asked how many hours she spent in the pool each day, and she said 12-16 hours. So at slightly more than $180 per kid...
I think it is outrageously priced, but we shall see what kind of results we have this time next week...
Group lessons would likely be much cheaper, but seeing how dgs behaves when he is part of a group, individual lessons are probably much better for him.
* shaking my head *

Hmmm... ds gets $60 a month for guitar & banjo lessons... but that only includes FOUR half hour lessons. People only go once a week. So 8 lessons with him would be $120.
Of course, no one's life is in danger if they don't know how to play a stringed instrument. Guess that puts the swimming teacher's skill a little higher in demand, LOL. ;)

I must s/s the kitchen. And I never finished vacuuming, b/c either I've been gone or dh has been trying to sleep. I guess the bug lady will understand.
Tomorrow is another day.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:05 pm

good night sweet ladies . sweet dreams

lol humidity not humility lol lol lol

dd younger is so good tonight with relative - what a young woman
it is always a joy to be here with you!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:17 pm

:D blessed!

Oh -- I loved the joke, Twins. That is sooo true of my family. DS realizes that he is beginning to act like me & my mom (and late ddad), too. We can easily stand in the door 30 minutes (or continue talking on the phone) after we've said, "Well, I'll let you go..."
I still say all the movies with those strong stereotype Jewish moms & Jewish families remind me of my family -- and we are about as WASPy as you can get... Southern roots for many, many generations and members of various conservative, evangelical Christian denominations.

:shock: Y'all know what? Those dishes in the sink STILL haven't washed themselves. tsk tsk tsk...
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 am

Dsecondmil called hoping to come over and visit. While waiting until she arrived, I studied my upcoming lesson and decided how I'm going to begin, which I hope will be compelling and easily remembered. While she was here, HRH and dd both got home in time to see her.

Ds came over to print more papers. Ddil's work requires a lot of printing but their house's brand new "office" has nothing in it yet except a chair and decorative desk. Mine has forty three thousand eight hundred and thirty two items. One is a printer.

Tomorrow HRH has a friend coming over. I'll need to spif a little in the morning to get ready for him, but not much.

I've spent a lot of the day chasing some information for HRH online. I found some.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 am

I still have kids here, they napped so are up, the dad closes off at ten, thought he would be off earlier wishful thinking - the older one hears the word "close" and thinks his dad is on the way does not understand it is another hour plus travel time. The mom was asked to come & get the kids but didn't. He wants to hang out on the couch then will typically fall asleep so I said none of that there is a kid bed for U, they are playing still.

Glad I slept in and got an extra hour of sleep this morning.

I did up the dishes. Closed up the coop.

Return to “Post When You Can”