Monsoon Monday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: Monsoon Monday

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:21 am

hi again. dd younger stayed home from work bc of headache this am. Not like her not to be at work so the headache must be bad. Better to take care of it before it gets unmanageable.

hi d kathryn - hope you get from under that monsoon of responsibilities fast! I love that musical.
have a good day

hi d cathy - wishing you the best

have a wonderful day of homeschooling d lady

good morning d dee stay dry too!

hi d nancy. have a great day
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:25 am

Morning...

It IS officially Monsoon Season here with huge storms rolling in every night. Last night we got three inches of rain in less than three hours. That a huge amount considering our annual rain fall is seven inches.

There are flash floods all around me and many roads in my area are impossible to cross. My backyard is under water but Sweetie installed a sump pump under the dark of night when we first moved here. Not legal but it drains directly into the run off area in our common area so it's never noticed. My backyard is at least 4 inches underwater and it's still raining. Parts of the area experienced a dust storm before the rain started. Winds last night were 40+ mph so many limbs are down as well.

I am suppose to meet my friend at her school this morning to help set up her class room. She's 20 miles away and in the middle of a direct hit for the next storm. Will watch the radar before I commit to traveling to her.

Meanwhile pups are not enjoying the rain. The grass is under water and they do not like getting their feet wet. I have to put them on a leash and go outside barefooted with them because the water is over my ankles as well. This weather is only fit for ducks.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:32 am

Good morning everyone! Friday, I made it to Bunco. There were only 4 of us and I wished I'd skipped (see skippable rant). Saturday was cat clinic and we had two adoptions! One of the kittens had been returned, but the lady felt so bad about it she re-adopted it with a new plan to deal with the problems they were having. The whole family was on board with the plan and it was a good one, so the kitten went back with her. AND (cue Hallelujah Chorus loud!) Lilly has found a home! She is with a cat-loving grandma who has a frequent and lengthy visiting cat-loving granddaughter. Before I left from dropping her off, Lilly had found the food, water, and catbox, was exploring the house, and rubbed up on the granddaughter. It was the granddaughter who chose the cat, bypassing the kittens, and interrogating the cat clinic workers on her spay and microchip status. (We passed). She was waiting on the sidewalk in the rain for us. Sunday was packed with church and a planner meeting. DD15 is back from Victoria, Canada. Friday was payday, but I am already broke.

My character needs to be the Energizer Bunny. Tonight's plan: get cat food, cleanup at home, MBR planning, online purchase, and work on Traveling Companion's sweater. If there is time, I would like to work on a Monster High doll dress.

lucylee: Sometimes dreaming of teeth falling out means you are grinding them in your sleep.

I feel sorry for the dogs LadyMaverick described. They have stupid, irresponsible owners. Wonder how many of them are not fixed?

CathyS: Wonky trees have more character!

Why on earth is a sump pump illegal in Ramblinrose's neck of the woods?

<skippable rant>
At Bunco, I told the players that my dad had decided to retire this time. On finding out his age one of the ladies(?) lit into me. She "hates people like him" who "steal jobs from young people with families to support". Um ... so my dad should simply hand over a business he built over 50+ years to someone just because they are younger than he is? And why are these young people having families when they cannot afford them? Why shouldn't my dad enjoy his life and provide for his grandchildren rather than step down because she thinks he is too old? His clients didn't think he was too old the first time he was forced into retirement. They called and called, at his house, at his previous place of employment, then at the place he ended up. This is a church Bunco group and I know of nothing whatsoever in the Bible that mandates retirement, in fact the concept didn't exist then. People worked until they dropped.

Millennials have a reputation for a sense of entitlement. I don't believe it. I think that (like my own generation) some think they are entitled and most do not. However, for those that do, people like this gave it to them. Her argument is the one once used to say women should stay out of the workforce. What do you want to bet she has a litter of unemployed, entitled children that my dad does not owe a job.
</skippable rant>

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:35 am

stay dry sweet rose

I totally agree with you d elizabeth - I find 95% of young people so inspiring. I truly love them.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:22 pm

No phone no lights no motor car it a single luxury
Like Robinson Crusoe we're primitive as can be

For next two days

Have power yes
Just like the song
No net
Sadness
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:22 pm

Elizabeth...

I am in a HOA community and the assonwould not look kindly to what we did without their approval. We dug out by hand under our cement wall to install a drain pipe that empties into the common run off wash. My community has 35 homes and we were the first built. For two years there were only four homes here and we called ourselves the pioneers of the community.

Many of our friends have draining problems when it rains due to poor grading when homes were built plus here each backyard is surrounded by a cinder block "fence" for many it makes their backyard an instant pond. We are lucky as we only have one neighbor to one side of our house.

When we first moved here the HOA was not active so we did not seek approval of our sump
Pump. Figured it was better and easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Besides no one has ever figured out how we addressed our problem so mums the word. :lol:

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:27 pm

So Harriet you're camping out but instead of tent you have a house. At least the beds are comfortable. But if it's hot, you might want to sleep outside with a mosquito net.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Yes, wonky trees do have character. I will discuss this with dh. I don't think he really wants to pull it down.

The overwhelming vote for this shy woman who is afraid to go out of her comfort zone very often is "YES!" so... the panther is going to be entered. I had another absolute stranger come up to me in the library this morning to tell me that it was absolutely gorgeous.

As a matter of fact, there is only one person I know that doesn't like it. She still says to enter it though.

Does the cat know that the only pile of clean laundry waiting to be hung up is under where she is sleeping? Silly girl.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Scrambled and cancelled the dinner part but not the dessert. I'll be tied up from 5 - 7, chatting with people in the lobby of my building and handing out coupons for dessert.

The food truck cancelled. Whether he is hiding behind the weather or not is no matter, it is done. And it is still pouring rain right now so weather is a reasonable reason to cancel.

We'll probably lose almost 100% of the people from the building across the street unless the rain lets up. The other building is attached by both the garage and a sheltered breezeway so they can walk over.

Sigh... this has not been a good day.

I've got the email out, updated the facebook group and sent out an email to the members. Dh is running around from building to building put up new posters.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:50 pm

glad you have power d harriet

sorry it didn't work out d kathryn

awesome d cathy!
lol my cats do that with my laundry as well

d rose - I like your attitude!

d helia - thinking of you so I had to say hello!!!

Return to “Post When You Can”