Most Excellent Monday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Most Excellent Monday

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:35 pm

I sorted some stuff on the expanded desk. Got the mail.
Collected eggs. Dog is at the window waiting for the bots to arrive. Got update from dsis mom had a fall last week. Table is cleared off we can eat from it now. 100+ the rest of this week here. Baby is ill so looks like I am off 2day. :mrgreen:

Watched Rogue 1 last week.
H. is on his way home now.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:43 pm

today was interesting... changing my attitude to the positive and proactive.
I need to work out.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:48 pm

Missed wishing Mr. & Mrs. Helia a Happy Anniversary on Friday. So a belated happy!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:54 pm

oh didn't see that either...

Happy late anniversary d helia and mr. helia proficiat met jullie huwelijksverjaardag

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:00 pm

worked on french for 1 hour. I feel like I have worked my brain.

dd was delayed - 4" natural gas pipe broke on the street near her work and she can't leave but is feeling much better. She felt better once the two women left.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 pm

CI: (Progress)
[ ] clean bathrooms
[/] vacuum * ALL DONE except master bath, which needs another once-over since dh got a haircut and then added his own "finishing touches"
[/] change sheets * Sheets are in the washer, other sheets not on bed yet...
[x] wrap dh's birthday gifts
[x] call dmom, possibly go put out her garbage for tomorrow
* Did not need to get her garbage but had two surprises from her -- actually three!

:shock: Dmom managed to go get her new car tags this morning -- last day without penalty -- even though her teeth are causing her SEVERE pain -- and
:shock: Dmom finally made appt to complete dentures (bad thing is, they can't get to her until Aug. 31) -- AND
:shock: Daunt came to see dmom Saturday and brought check from dcousin, paying her back for the CAR. I am AMAZED at THAT turn of events.

Dgrands were here a couple hours or more... played outside a long time while I talked on phone to dmom. Texted w/dbro to tell him about dcousin's surprising actions...
Then I vacuumed, went to library, and got the sheets started.
Need to start supper and get sheets back on the bed. Then continue other laundry...

Happy belated anniversary wishes to Mr. & Mrs. Helia! :D

I am so sorry for dd's bad day at work, blessed, -- and for yours, Cathy. So glad the new job offer helped off-set the bad feelings!

I bet I would enjoy working in a book store. I'd probably lose money though... my whole check and then some would go for new books! :lol:

Rose -- I had a question about Asperger's behavior in J&C, please look over there when you get a chance -- I welcome input from all of you, of course, just wanted to make sure Rose saw it b/c of teaching sp ed.
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:40 pm

I just returned from taking DS8 to VBS at a local church (AoG). I didn't think he would want to attend, but he was eager. They were advertising free snow cones so I'm sure that an influence. He had to take another pain pill before we went because his neck muscles are so sore from the violent tics. I spoke to the preacher and to DS8 teacher about the tics/Tourettes and asked them to ignore them if possible. I hope this works. He doesn't have verbal tics happening right now so hopefully, the physical tics won't disrupt the class.

I just finished logging July data for health. I don't understand what is happening. According to my scales, I have lost 3.5 lbs this month. According to WW scales, I have lost .8 lb. I know weighing with no clothes first thing in the morning vs weighing at 5:30pm fully clothed has something to do with it. I try to stop drinking liquid at noon on the day that I weigh in so I'm not going with a belly full of water. I have been logging MFP and am averaging 1241 calories a day. I don't know what else to do. I do know that I am not giving up. If I have to lose it at a super slow 1 pound a month then so be it. I'll be frustrated but I'm not going to quit.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:11 pm

Lucylee
There is no correct way to socialize a child with aspergers although Elizabeth could probably anwer the question better than me. And there are no easy answers either. Every child is very different form each other. I just had lunch with a former student who is now 26 and has aspergers. She is about to finish her last course in college and will graduate and become a teacher this Dec.

She had friends although school and those who realized she had asperges and was a bit different just took it in stride. And it also depends on where a child falls on the spectrum of aspergers.

Some are clueless when it comes to social skills and don't understand things like saying... hi how are you today, because it means nothing to them.

Society believes those on the spectum of autism and aspergers should be inteergrated into the general population hence inclusion in school. However I went to an amazing inclusion workshop some years ago when a wonderful autistic speaker totally changed my mind.

The woman was in her mid-thirty and extremely brilliant. Somehow she taught herself to function in what she termed as the NA world... non-autistic world. She spoke of how difficult it was to understand things that meant nothing to her ... like saying good morning or hi how are..she said it was so much easier to have friends just like herself.... meaning autistic because they "got" her and spoke her language. She said that by the time she got home after spending the day with us NA's she would be exhausted by trying to "live in the NA world"

What she said to me made sense to me as I had seen my aspergers and autistic students enjoying each other's company far more than their NA friends.

At the school where I work now the autistic teacher IS autistic herself as is her husband and son ...don't try to tell me autisum isn't genetic. What I would have given to have her in my school. I can only imagine what she could have taught me.... my friend told me when she first met this teacher the teacher said... I am autistic, if you see me in the hall and I don't say Hi to you don't get offended... it's just the way I am.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:31 pm

Oh that's right, Rose -- Elizabeth, :!: I wasn't even thinking! Has your dd had any particularly good * or particularly bad * experiences with friendships, and class group activities? I just hope dgs's teacher will be the type to encourage him to participate more and take part -- not just let him sit alone all the time and do his thing, b/c it is easier. He's so smart, I'm sure he will be able to do the work and will probably prefer doing it on his own... and it may truly be that he is happier that way and all is well. But I worry about him being bullied or totally ignored by other kids.

OTOH -- saw a nice feature this afternoon on a college football player -- Texas -- but I'm sorry, I can't remember his name.
He said HE was bullied as a child b/c he was so much bigger than everyone, plus he had a speech impediment. At some point, he decided to start working out, lifting weights, etc, with his dad -- his dad had not pushed him in this direction, just told him if he ever wanted to, he'd be happy to work with him. Time passed, he "grew into his body," as his dad put it, and became a great football player.
But he said, he remembered what it was like to be bullied and treated differently, even after he gained that certain respect that comes with being a star football player at a Texas high school, and he made sure he didn't let the way people treated him change the way he treated others, and that the bullying had made him stronger.

So I guess we just encourage dgs... ds/ddil can offer all the activities they can (church events, t-ball next summer, etc)... and follow his lead -- if it's just too much for him, he will let us know, I imagine.
Tomorrow is another day.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:54 am

At the school where I work now the autistic teacher IS autistic herself as is her husband and son ...don't try to tell me autisum isn't genetic. What I would have given to have her in my school. I can only imagine what she could have taught me.... my friend told me when she first met this teacher the teacher said... I am autistic, if you see me in the hall and I don't say Hi to you don't get offended... it's just the way I am.
I love this!

I totally agree 100% that it is genetic; they just haven't found the link yet.

Return to “Post When You Can”