Warbling Wednesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Warbling Wednesday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:43 am

The word "warbling" also makes me think of Mary Poppins and her singing with the bird during A Spoonful of Sugar.

A robin feathering his nest
Has very little time to rest
While gathering his bits of twine and twig
Though quite intent in his pursuit
He has a merry tune to toot
He knows a song will move the job along ...

So whistle,

warble,

and

wiggle your booty

while you work your way through Wednesday!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Warbling Wednesday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:48 am

Today I learned you can't put leading spaces in phpBB unless [pre] has been added to the formatting codes of the board. Since I have no idea how to do that, I didn't format my opening post the way I wanted.

Today I also learned I have an issue with my tomatoes.

The first one was black on the bottom and rotten through.

Today I had an almost ripe one and I felt the bottom (couldn't see through to it) and it was soft so I picked it. It was starting black on the bottom so I cut into it and 1/3 was fine. Sigh... Now to research what is happening. If it is a problem with too much moisture during the growing phase there is nothing I can do about that.

Oh, and my 'cherry' tomatoes are 3+" inches in diameter. Sigh.... I specifically picked cherry because I wanted little tomatoes, not huge ones.

Busy day here so I need to get moving. But first to research my tomato issue.

Edited to add:

That was quick. It is Blossom End Rot.

Particularly in container gardening, the calcium deficiency that causes blossom end rot is often caused by inconsistent watering.

If the soil gets too dry, the plant isn't getting the calcium it needs in order to produce healthy fruit. If the plant gets too much moisture, the same thing can happen.

Blossom end rot can also be the result of over-fertilization during early fruiting.

Let's see. I literally poured off gallons of water off one plant whose pot couldn't drain all the rain and I had to stop watering the others for days for the soil to get to damp. I've been watering with Miracle Grow for plants 2x a week so that might be over-fertilizing (I figured they needed the nutrients because they are in a simple pot that is actually too small for tomatoes.)

Good news is that non-black bits are edible and adding calcium might help (maybe egg shells, or watered down yogurt, or dissolving one of my calcium tablets) but isn't necessary if I think the plants are done flowering. As well, if it is a water issue, the fruit that came from blooms after the extreme rain may be fine.

I'm not here after August 16 so at that point the plants will die although I will ask a neighbour to water if he wants and pick the ripe tomatoes for himself. Not sure how that will work, he's ill and can't necessarily lift the watering can.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:56 am

"Robins" bring many memories, Kathryn. I bought a robin ty animal years ago to remind me of New York -no NOT the city. Then in the spring we always watch for flocks of robins in the pasture next door. Sometimes they don't seem to go through there and we miss them. Then I hear Harriet or someone farther north talk about seeing them. They're always here aplenty by the time we reach NY for the summer. And they nest in many inopportune places around the campground.

I'm up s2s, meds and breakfast done, bed made. Have the water heater going so I can do dishes before I step out the door. Meeting a dfriend for lunch and then getting my hair cut.

DD called last night to say she was having dinner at an outdoor patio restaurant that encouraged pets. Of course DBailey just lies there and you can barely tell she's around. Said she was only -was it 50? or 90? miles from Savannah. She'll be home early this afternoon. I just can't do that any more. In fact I'm thinking of taking 3 sleep overs on the road when dh and I go early November. (If I can get him to let me stay here until then.) If we travel 'together' separately, it'll cost us at least $400 less to travel (only 1 motel room per night instead of 2). And I won't need to pay someone's airfare back to have them ride down with me. He definitely won't let me go alone.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:30 am

I probably won't warble (because I have the voice of a raven more then the voice of the lovely robin but if you want to I can - but be aware that dogs run the other way :D )

I love the beginning you gave us dear kathryn! also I am amazed at your computer skills.. I lost mine (okay I didn't have it) so I am pretty impressed that you understand what you just wrote. The fact that YOU can format/code what ever is very cool!

d dee I can't do the straight through traveling anymore either - those days are over for dh and I ;) :D It just means we can see more of things than before when we were just anxious to drive home in one jump.

I think I will wobble and wiggle my day forward! :D :D :D

I have french this morning and I "didn't" finish my homework that she gave me.. I did other things in french ;) next time do the homework the first day and then move on to continue learning

I also need to put exercise before anything (for me and the dogs) or I forget to do it at... started a new adventure of walking up and down stairs a couple times ever hour during the day where there are stairs.

I have only done one out of comfort zone challenge this week... summer is here only a short time so I need to stay vigilant.

I need to head out to the library

I am thinking of d helia - hope she is having great adventures as she literally runs (jogs) through her day

Hello to all! may you have a great day
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:35 am

Blossom End Rot is disappointing and it always seems so unfair, since it often can't be helped, as Kathryn says. I think, overall in a garden, it is better than finding a problem that's coming from bitsy varmints!

blessed, how are you remembering the stairs - setting alarm or something. I think I would realize about 4 o'clock that I'd meant to remember something each hour! :| :roll:

Dd18 has little time to give to help around here. She's getting a chance to going swimming early today with some girlfriends and that's good - she doesn't get that often. Then both today and tomorrow she works, with only tomorrow morning to work much around here. Sigh. A lot to do. I thought of calling dstepdil, but I haven't used/needed her help in a long time and she herself is working a lot of hours.

Working with Mary Poppins singing in my head is a good idea.

Safe travels to Dee's dd and dBailey.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:37 am

Ah, Dee, nice that Bailey got some outside time on the long drive day!

Kathryn, I was already googling blossom end rot to send you a link, but I see you found it. I had some one year, but a little later in the season the tomatoes were fine. I started with two tomato plants this year - one has already died, having produced only a handful of cherry tomatoes, and the second has "failed to thrive" up until recently when it put on a growth spurt and has lots of green tomatoes and blooms. My basil in the same area has not done well. I really wonder if it's from an overspray when they guy pressure washed the house in the early summer? I noticed the decline of the basil, particularly, right after that.

I get to stay home today until about 12:40 - Habitat is coming for pick up, and I have a massage at 1 p.m. I need to get groceries also, and dd wants me to look at apartments with her. If she wants to do that I need to drop everything and do it. ;)

Right now:
-breakfast smoothie and meds
-walk the ddog around the block
-fold and put away laundry (the dcleaning lady left a load in the dryer on Friday and I had to rewash everything)
-clear 10 things from desk
-clear kitchen counters

This morning purged our "medicine" cabinet in the kitchen. Lots of expired meds, prescription and not, so now things won't fall out when the door is opened, hopefully. I have a bag of expired meds to take to the drop off place sometime.

Meant to tell you guys that the tai chi class I was going to take was cancelled. :( That was my next "fitness" step, so I need to regroup.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 am

Please, I have an urgent prayer need with details in J&C. Will let you know more, when I know more.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:56 am

There are days when I wish we all lived in a real village. I'd love to take a fitness class with Twins and go walking with those of you who go out regularly. The only person I probably wouldn't want to workout with is Rosie. I'm scared of her intense workouts. But I'd be at the sidelines cheering her on when she does the obstacle races! On the other hand, the one I need to workout with the most is Rosie, she's learned about strength training and might be able to make it less intimidating to me.

I've sat here all along. The bulletin for Sunday just arrived so I'll take that as an indication I need to get moving.

I still have to come up with a dinner plan for tonight. I'm thinking beer can chicken, corn on the cob, spinach salad, oven roasted potatoes and possibly biscuits or corn bread. That will be easy. Dh wanted me to just buy a cooked chicken (easier) but I feel like I should cook for this guy. Not sure about a dessert. From what I read about radiation therapy, keeping calories up is important but not too much sugar.

Dh is gone all afternoon so I have that time to finish cleaning the apartment and get dinner ready so it looks effortless. Depending on the wind, we'll eat outside. Either way, the balconies will need to be cleaned and de-spider-webbed, since he'll be going out onto the balcony at some point.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:21 am

More info in J&C.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:31 am

Morning ....

Kathryn what I learned about strength training is it is empowering in many ways. I didn't start out being able to do what I could do in the end. When I first started out I struggled
To lift 20lbs over my head and I used 3-5 lb hand weights. Strength training is all mental. And the one thing I had to work on is learning to overcome my fear.

The one thing I like most about working with weights is the only person I compete against is myself...and although I was nervous about taking classes where others were some times 20-40 years younger than me... all were encouraging even when I was lifting 30lbs while others were capable of doing much more. The the members of my class were much like this village. Very diversified but very kind and encouraging to each other. Ever individual victory was shared by the entire class and my trainer was quick to modify my workouts to my personal abilities. I miss my workout pals and have been looking around to find another place that mirrors that environment.

I love walking into my office now... it's so inviting knowing everything has its own home. Only wish I had done it sooner. Today includes my trip to g-will and the post office. Also
Will be stopping off at Michaels.

I knew about what was causing your tomatoes Kathryn, to rot on the bottoms but others beat me to it.

Time for more coffee, breakfast, morning routines and Perry Mason. Last night we had a beautiful rainbow.. it was almost a double and after that a gentle rain. I went swimming, well skinny dipping..in it right before I went to bed. It was heaven.

Depending on when my mom goes into independ living I see a cross country drive in my sights. It will depend on Sadie who is slowly in decline. I would have no trouble making the drive myself... in fact it would provide an opportunity to visit friends along the way, but I don't think Sweetie would be comfortable with me driving by myself. May just put the stuff I want to keep from my mom's home in storage until
Sweetie can come with me... either way I look forwards to the drive.

Off to start my day..waving to y'all.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Post When You Can”