Five minute Fling Friday!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Five minute Fling Friday!

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Not sure why I want to keep those but found myself reluctant to trash them.
Unfortunately I'm the same way! :roll: I'm sure we have tax returns dating way, way back. Like I'm going to look back at 1966, 76, 86, 96, 2006? Trying to talk myself into shredding those as I come across them. Want so badly to get things out of our storage unit and get a lot just trashed and/or shredded. But I can't get the door open and we can't even really get back to it right now because of all the rain we had. Knowing the years are piling up I dearly want to get that storage unit cleaned out for the most part.

Went to rehab, came home, ate lunch and now I've walked the 'big' loop and the 'small' loop. Afraid it's going to rain before long and I wanted to get them in. I'm aiming for at least 8 points on a graph I've made. On rehab days it should be easier to reach 8 or 9 points. If I at least get over 7 I know I'm doing well. Could put more things on that chart but ran out of room I think.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:08 pm

quick hi - HI!

dh and I went to lunch
and went to a-pp-le and they fixed my computer - dust on the fan and an update that I couldn't do. It now looks and works spiffy.

embarrassed but true - I paid dh to vacuum and wash out my car :oops: ;) because I have loved ones coming into my car. he didn't want to take the money but I insisted as it is a lot of work.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:15 pm

I ended up doing the henna job so that is done. My hair is so sparkly now!

Ds came over and visited during the time to sit and do nothing so we poured over maps about our route to the eclipse. Turns out he planned to stay 20 miles from us on the 17th (thinking we'd be in Ithaca that night but that got cancelled) so I'm booking him into our hotel. He is upset that I'm spending the money but his plan was to sleep in a Walmart parking lot. He gets to do that for 4 or 5 other nights during this trip so he can stay in a hotel when we can easily put him up with us.

We talked about where to watch the eclipse. He wants to be away from crowds. I'm not sure if I want to be or not. Of course, we can't make any plans because of weather (the idea is we will drive away from the weather on the morning if it is a factor.) I looked up weather and the long-range forecast is perfect for Lincoln and not perfect for Columbia, SC, which had been my first spot.

He's coming in on the 20th from the Illinois State Fair (he's going to a concert on the 19th) so we'll meet up in Beatrice, NE and attend a NASA information event. This time I want to do more pre-eclipse stuff if the crowds aren't too bad. Last time there were 300,000 extra people in Munich so the crowds were something! And everything was in German so we stuck to doing other tourist stuff (BMW museum, side-trip to Austria, bike tour.) Dd and her cousin went downtown in the morning of the eclipse to buy some Birkenstock sandals for him and ended up having to walk back because the trains were full (it was only 4 or 5 stops.) Thankfully dd (14 at the time) was travel savvy and had a map with her. Plus she was with her 19-year-old cousin (who is tall and assured looking) so they were perfectly safe.

After ds left, I pulled out our photo album and read up about our last eclipse and looked at the pictures.

It was 18 years ago today!

I had remembered it was cloudy, I forgot it rained leading up. The clouds would come and go so we saw the beginning and end of totality but in between a thick cloud obscured everything. I remember thinking at the time if it was so amazing in bad weather, what would it be like in good? Now I get to find out!

I'm so excited I'm finding I'm easily distracted today. And I still haven't done my 5 minute fling.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:41 pm

your hair looks sparkly from here d kathryn!

off to work before getting carried away by my fixed computer.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:46 pm

I need to disconnect my rhythm from dh's.

That's often true. Can definitely be close to a spouse without doing the same things at the same time. also eating - don't have to eat at the same times, or even choose the same time to have a certain size or emphasis meal, either.

By the time I was coherent this a.m., dd18 had already been out to eat breakfast with the young man, who picked her up to go for pancakes. So I feel like a slug. They came back and found me with my oatmeal and we chatted until that got cold, lol. So, real efficiency around here.

Actually I had to take a pain pill with my breakfast. WMart yesterday? I remember at one point we'd forgotten something in frozen and were already to produce, and if ya'll know anything about the layout of the "super" centers, that's a football field or so. Sigh. She told me to let it go, but nooooooo, not me. I actually said I was going to power through it. I'd have done better to walk out around the building on the grass and break in the rear entrance. :roll:

I know it sounds like I go there all the time but I don't. I just complain every time I do. The floors are oddly like poison to me there. Nothing else is as bad. We have something to return and I think I'll take a page from
blessed's book and pay dd18 to take it back. Life is too short. It's not really important to have convenience and save 6 cents on cans of cat food if it causes me unhappiness.

Message left by nurse from our gen prac office using the main dr's name threw me. Of course you think to yourself, what does he want with me - does he disagree with others about test results and think I need some sobering warnings or something. And of course you call back and they then will have to call you back again. Anyway, the first part of the message was that I hadn't been in in so long. (smile - I said check a week to 10 days ago) and second part was about preventative scans which the other dr had already discussed with me at the appt. So we had little to say to each other and that's how I like it.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Went to Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake and St. Catharines to do errands and finished up with the one here in town for getting dh some more insulin. Now my trunk only has a large baggie full of batteries to be dropped off in St. Catharines .

As soon as I walked through the door, I grabbed the vacuum and vacuumed the bathroom, the pantry, the kitchen and bits of the living room and hallway that had some cat hair tumbleweeds. All I need to do is a bit of dusting and the house is clean and ready for the weekend. I even pulled out the couch and did under there. Dishes are all clean and all clean laundry is put away. WOW!!

My plan is to be able to sit and stitch without thinking that I need to go clean something.

Ok, so the errand in Niagara on the Lake was getting a peach ice cream cone. It was so good! Local peaches. Yummy!!
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:53 pm

When my feet were hurting after moving here, Walmart, Costco and our local grocery store were torture chambers. The only saving grace was I could use the cart as a walker. But I stopped going to out closer store and would walk to the further one because the sidewalks weren't as bad on my back/legs/feet and the milk was handier because it is a tiny, urban, store, with little stock and no pharmacy, clothing section and miles of things.

Oooh, dh just asked for a walk. Off I go!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi everyone! I have gotten more work to do at payroll. It will take me some time and I am not sure if I can get it done by COB Wednesday. I leave Thursday. I will definitely be doing some flinging pronto. Because we leave horribly early Thursday, traveling companion will be staying over. That means I cannot have an utter disaster.

Last night, DD15 liked the idea of the library and I am stocked up for the trip. Target was on the way back, so we got that done as well. After she left, I had to hit the dreaded Walmart and the dollar store. (Like Harriet, I find their floors painful - one knee just isn't happy there. But unlike the other stores, they had underpants in both my size and style.) I managed to forget toilet paper. I also have to get a birthday present for Saturday evening.

On dropping off DD, I found the x to be a jackass as usual. I mentioned that DD and I were invited to Orlando next summer. He made me aware of plans for June, which I can work around. We also discussed the Mardi Gras trip, which he STILL complains about. I gave him THIRTEEN MONTHS advance notice. It's not something I can reschedule around his convenience. The entire city of Mobile Alabama is not going to rearrange its life to suit him. I wish he was not going to be at the birthday dinner Saturday, but my xBFF seems incapable of inviting me without them. (She has no problem inviting them without me). She is desperate for me to be dating someone, anyone, I don't know why. I will tell her that it is always good to see the x, because it strengthens my resolve to stay off the dating market.

Got LOLs done. Tonight, DD and I will finally get to the local amusement park. Unless it is raining in home city too. Animal org cat director called, she will take Briggs while I am away.

In answer to TwinsMom's question yesterday, it was 93 degrees. The windows were cracked, but the dog was clearly unhappy or he would not have been barking the whole time.

Ramblinrose: Having a small household does not doom you to handwashing dishes. Just do what I do, keep loading the DW until it finally gets full enough. I do a load every two to three days.

I suggest Kathryn use the time freed up to HAVE FUN!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Back from the walk. Swung by the pharmacy and picked up my pills for next week (dental appointment needs antibiotics due to my bad valve.) Swung by the food truck to get more proof of insurance. This is ridiculous. But we have both the insurance slip and the copy of the paid invoice (management's argument is he could have received the insurance renewal docs but not paid the bill so they wanted to know the insurance had been paid.)

Then we decided on leftover pizza for dinner and came home to make that.

A $50 gas card was in the mail box so we'll have that for our trip, plus one night's free hotel plus possibly another gas card. All those stays on our last trip during their special promotion paid off!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Today has been a bust as far as homeschooling goes. It has been a total success as far as kids happily playing outside. Thankfully we have extra days built into our homeschool schedule. DS9 has already finished 1/4 of the 4th grade Math curriculum compared to Public school having completed 1 day.

Yesterday afternoon I told DH that I was not going to volunteer at the school this year. It takes up 4 hours each week and since DS9 won't be attending I could use those 4 hours doing other things. However, last night the other volunteers were chatting (on FB Messenger) and I was waiting for the conversation to lull so I could tell them I wasn't participating this year. Before I could say anything they started saying how vital I was to the group and praising & thanking me for all that I do. CRUD. I think they set me up. I didn't know how to respond. "Y'all are nice but I quit" didn't seem quite the right response. Now I don't know what I'll do. It would help if they weren't so nice and welcoming to me. The Moms are over 30 years younger than me but they include me in everything. Ditto on their children being so welcoming and kind to include DS9 when he shows up at school. They treat him as if he is a celebrity. Shouting his name, giving him hugs and always making room for him to sit with them. argh.....I don't know what I will do. Quit or continue to volunteer.

Next up = pump some water out of the swimming pool. We received 3" of rain last night which raised the water level almost to the top. I just saw we are supposed to get another 3-5" of rain in the next 24 hours
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”