PWYC Saturday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Re: PWYC Saturday

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 pm

Planning a bday party with this family's various schedules is like pulling teeth. But I'm glad so many are gainfully employed. Emailing with ddil about what she might bring. Cake layers are in the freezer because I read so many times on line that it's wise, even for a short time. Realizing we forgot chocolate chips to melt for cake design we want. After church mini-trip I guess, although dstepson also needs dd18 for trip to buy her dorm fridge/freezer. I wish she would just rent.

I'm S2 Slippers and Scrunchie.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:06 pm

Wrote out the activities that interest me in Nebraska. We really only have 2 days there but the observatory has something on the evening we arrive AND the student observatory the following night. Ribfests both Saturday and Sunday (different towns), pancake breakfast, NASA talk and a couple other minor things. We'll choose from that buffet of options. I was thrilled there was something on Sunday night so ds could partake but then I realized he may just need to sleep since he leaves for home immediately after the eclipse is over.

He has an overnight shift on Wednesday night and it is 18.5 hour driving time. If he leaves on Monday afternoon, he'll be able to make it in 3 days, stopping to sleep in Illinois and at a friends in London, Ontario and still get home with a few hours to nap before his shift. Obviously, I'm worried about him.

He had to give up his hiking trip in Wisconsin because he can't get anyone to take this shift. So he'll drive almost 3000 miles in 7 days. The only non-driving breaks are to take in a concert in Springfield and the eclipse.

Talked with my music friend and then watched part of the fireworks. Off to bed now. Refugee committee meeting after church tomorrow and I'm prepped for that as well.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:14 pm

Finally CUOPed. I've been down the rabbit hole, next week I must do better. I did spend awhile this afternoon doing Pro Gen work that is due the 25th.

I use Waze on my cell phone for a GPS in the car. It's crowd sourced for accidents and slow downs.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Right, Twins. I've done it repeatedly... been to New Orleans probably half a dozen times. No beignets...
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:09 pm

I use Google maps. I've tried others but haven't found anything I liked better. I find the timeline of Google maps useful even when not traveling.

My favorite weather app is Weather Underground.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:13 pm

So, I sorta fell into the abyss of the internet. I tend to do that when I'm anxious about something.
Did find some good stuff. Have y'all seen the thing about the mother in Dallas, TX, who posted on the museum page asking if they could reschedule the eclipse, b/c that is a school day?
Hmmm... it would be easier for me to reschedule the ballgames, I imagine.

I finally cleaned up the kitchen, after we ate supper. Philly cheese steak sandwiches tonight. With corn on the cob. I am so tired of corn on the cob but it is about the only vegetable we like -- unless I could do green beans in bacon grease, etc. That would sorta take away the low sodium value of green vegetables, wouldn't it? :roll:
Wrapped a present for tomorrow. Baby shower tomorrow -- wedding shower today.

Oh -- and did I tell y'all dmom goes back to the dentist for re-check Tuesday @ 7:00 a.m.? :shock: Been a long time since I've seen 7:00 a.m. around here. Well, not really, b/c I was checking bank balance this morning at 7:00 a.m. -- but I was NOT s2s. I'll have to be s2s and out of here by around 6:15 to get her to Next Town for that appt -- IF she needs me to take her. If she is not taking pain med by then, she probably won't ask me to take her.

Mapquest and Google maps don't really help w/traffic flow. I guess they do -- actually mine tried to re-route me once but dh didn't trust it.

(((HUGS))) for you and ds with all that driving, Kathryn. I can relate. It does make a mama nervous. At least ds here is rarely alone, except for a few hours sometimes.

Planning a bday party with this family's various schedules is like pulling teeth. But I'm glad so many are gainfully employed.
(((HUGS))) for you, too, Harriet.

I'm going to go out and watch for falling stars. Is everyone seeing a meteorite shower tonight, or is it just in our area?
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:15 pm

lucylee, was the card actually stolen or just the number being used out of state and somehow discovered?

I'm sorry it looks like ds in Canada will spend so much time driving without a lot of breaks.

Ramblin' when will you head back to your mother's?

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:36 pm

Harriet, apparently these hackers can make fake cards. Our card was not stolen, it is still right here on dh's dresser.
The bank lady said thieves can steal numbers, generate random numbers, all kinds of things, and then make their own cards.
They will try a small amount ($1, apparently in our case) and if that goes through, then they try for more. I think they had two more transactions, $35 and $100, before the fraud alert system highlighted it, probably b/c it was out of our normal area of use.
I am sooo thankful for that!

I told dh, if I had LOST a hundred dollar bill, I'd feel terrible, but I am not going to worry about this, b/c there was absolutely nothing we could have done about this. We never use our debit cards online, and we never use them in restaurants where the people take them out of our sight.

Dmom says we ALL need to sign up for LifeLock... but right now, dh and I can't add ANY monthly expenses. He is pretty stressed out about it all, but we're just hoping the bank can recover the money.

We also think maybe they used dh's number b/c somehow they knew it wasn't often used. :?: I don't know if that is even possible. But I'd say 99.99% of the time, we use mine, so it would have been easily noticed. It's only on rare occasions that dh uses his. Of course, that also may have made it more obvious to the fraud alert system. Who knows?

It would have been awfully nice to have spent this weekend in Orlando with my money & Mickey Mouse... instead of here with all this stress and chaos...
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”