PWYC Saturday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

PWYC Saturday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:13 am

After completely failing to fling anything yesterday, I decided a more generic day would be good. Fill in the adjective that works for you.

It was this morning that I finally spent 5 minutes going through my maps binder pulling out the older maps and putting them in recycle. So it took me over 24 hours to do my Friday Fling. I think that's why I don't want to feel I have to live up to today's thread title!

I hope you have a super, sparkly, sensational, sleepy, satisfying, sunny, swimming, stupendous Saturday!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: PWYC Saturday

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 am

Well, you already lived up to today's title, Kathryn. You did PWYC! :D Actually I got carried away with my post when there was nobody else on. And by the time I posted you had already posted, so will save my title for another Saturday.

Dh and I got up not too long ago. I got up at 7:15 to take my thyroid med. Then dh came back in bed with me for about an hour. We don't manage that very often.

Harriet, at first I had to remember the reference in 'kitten' in your post about your ds & picture. Now I'm trying to remember the name of the 'city' so I can go check it out. Every time you mention "the young man" I go, "What? DD18 is not old enough!" Oh sadly the years march on all too quickly.

My teacher/friend from the Dr's office sent me a message a week or so ago to have the secretary at the Dr's office let her know when I come in this week. She wants to come upstairs and just chat a while. Then I got a call yesterday while at rehab from a Rochester number I didn't recognize so didn't answer. Ended up it was the Dr's office from a new person reminding me to get my lab work done for appointment on Wednesday. I plan to go Monday morning. Coming home from there then dh and I are taking our car for NYS inspection, oil change and tire rotation. Hopefully they might spot what is making the noise -which we think is tire noise. At least if it is tire noise the sound should change -where it's coming from. None of us can seem to pinpoint it.

Kathryn, when you go to see the eclipse, is this the time you're swinging through NY? Saw that you were going to Ithaca. That's where dh was born by the way and they lived not far from there till he was a teenager. They moved near the town where I grew up and we went to the same high school.

DGS12 has lacrosse try outs in Hamburg, NY today and tomorrow. One father is taking him and his own son today and then ddil is taking them tomorrow. Hamburg is beyond Buffalo so a fairly long trip. At least an hour & a half.

Dh took him with him and another friend to Empire Field Days Wednesday. There were a few demonstrations that dgs was interested in watching. But the "virtual welding" really got his attention. You just never know what may peak a growing child's interest. Right now he absolutely hates school and it's a struggle getting him to do even the needed parts and certainly no extra.

DD texted us that she has 168 students this year and her class size is about 29 -well above what they're supposed to have. But she says she's not complaining -the art teachers have 40 to a class. The first day of school at 6pm they still had over 400 students waiting for buses. They're well above their maximum for student load. Know last year when the school opened for the first time they expected 900 students and had over 1,700. And there's no room for 'portables'. Obviously a new school needs to be built ASAP. One reason the class loads for electives are so high is that there is no business course this year. Nobody signed up for that class because no one liked the teacher. She was not asked back. Hopefully by the mid-year things will even out. Then of course dd is an excellent teacher and almost all the kids love her class, telling all their buddies to sign up for this class. (She teaches technology -industrial arts/computers/robotics, etc.)
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:28 am

I had a good sleep. We went for the walk in the late evening and I was simply soaked from the humidity. The apartment was just as bad so I announced to dh that I would be sleeping in the spare room. Lights were out just after 10:30 (i.e. 90 minutes earlier than they have been many times this past week) and I was up once to the bathroom, then woke at 6:45 and was raring to go.

Stepped out from my lovely cool sleeping chamber into the sauna that is my apartment but that was OK.

I've just finished breakfast. Also set up my bullet journal for the next two weeks and counted pages. I can make this one last until October before having to break out the new journal. If the refugees don't arrive, it will last until November which would be one full year. But I will be hopeful and just set the new one up for an October start. My plan is to take my box of supplies and new journal with me and work on that after the eclipse. We have many long days in the car and while I can't do everything in the car (too bouncy) I can do a lot which will save me time at the end of September. Hopefully by then I'll be run off my feet settling refugees.

I've also highlighted our route on all our paper maps. And made a packing list and a list of things to do for the trip. It is a busy week up until we leave on Thursday morning.

Today I hope to program our trip into the GPS. That will be a learning curve. I'm really hopeful there is a way to do it from my computer rather than their terrible route interface. Our built-in GPS starts an entry from top-down (Country, state/prov, town, street, street number.) This one starts from street number and we haven't figure out how to skip over street number and address. So if we are heading to Erie, PA we have to have a street number and name before we can enter Erie. Which just seems wrong. Sometimes approximate is more than fine.

I still need to s2s but my day is off to a good start thanks to the good sleep. That's why I included sleepy in my list of adjectives. If you need a good, restful, day, take it and recharge your batteries. You'll be much more productive.

Dee: we are driving past you on Thursday the 17th in the afternoon. Ithaca got cancelled since our friend wasn't available. BUT we plan on visiting you on either September 8 (anytime in the day), or on the 10th (afternoon) if that is OK. We are on our way to/from Niagara those days and have chosen to come through the US to save time and gas up with cheap gas. Whichever of those days is best for you is the day we'll drop by.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:42 am

Morning...

It is a rainy morning here. Unusual for us but appreciated. I plan on having a slow and easy day with not much planned. There's a little it of laundry to do, but that will be easy to do. Otherwise I'm just gonna chill.

Waving to y'all .. enjoy your day :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:02 am

Hi. Beautiful day here, hoping for no rain until later this evening if even then.

I'm doing a conga around here. It's not going to be perfect for sure. Yesterday I came down with a UTI and I rushed around getting everything done so I could go to walk-in clinic and get started on antibiotics. Not feeling the greatest here, but a bit better. Still doing 2 different kinds of ear drops. This morning my cell phone notified me there was a text and the noise from that was excruciating! I'm sure it wasn't, but I think my ears are very sensitive to noise now because some of my hearing has come back (not a lot but some tones) and loud noises are awful.

Yesterday as I was waiting for Rx in supermarket I ran around with my cart and picked up some goodies because we are getting company for 3-4 days. DGSon called and asked if he could come...of course, any time... and for the first time he is driving himself down here. He said he "pulled the adult card" on his mother so she'd let him come. She said if he got everything packed up he wanted to take to college and everything packed up he'd be leaving behind, he could come, so he did all that. DGS said he was missing us and wanted 1 more visit before leaving for college. I have the best DGS!

House is in halfway decent shape, but there is much to put away. I have to at least get a table cleaned off for us to eat. Much to do and I'm moving slowly.

BBL

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:14 am

My day has started well. As soon as I got up I did a 34-minute walk and then a 7-minute bike ride. I started walking at 6:14am which is 10 minutes before First light and 38 minutes before Sunrise. I would rather walk in the dark than the rain. We have 100% chance of rain this morning so I wanted to get my walk done while it wasn't raining (storms were surrounding us on all sides but we were in a clear patch for a bit).

My Project of the Day is completed. Yesterday I saw a spider in the pool room so today I sprayed bug spray in the pool room, hot tub room, garage and school room. Those are the rooms that do not have raised floors and have the most bugs. It is rare for me to see any bug/spiders in other rooms of the house. I only spray when I see a bug/spider. I don't like putting chemicals in our home but do it when necessary. I really like the ease of using this battery powered bug spray. It seems to do a great job.

The kids have already had a spat this morning so they spent some time sitting on the "argue bench". Give them 10 minutes of boredom just sitting on each end of a long bench and they become very motivated to play nice together. It is rare for me to need to send them to the argue bench twice in one day.

DS9 has a friend's birthday party to attend this afternoon. It is a swimming party. I'm not sure how that will turn out with the stormy weather today. Hopefully, the Mom will have a plan B for the party activity.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:52 am

a quick hi -HI wishing you all the best!! PWYC perfect for today!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:58 am

Harmony: I agree that's a special dgs!

I've spent hours on the GPS system. Still not confident I have every thing into it now but it is done. Had to do it twice. It lost my first attempt because I entered things in the wrong order - I entered departure, then each stop, then destination which was the same as departure and it lost everything. So I learned: enter departure, then last non-home stop as destination, then fill in with the stops along the way and finally use the home setting to find the way home from the last non-home stop.

It keeps telling me my cable isn't charging it and to use the cable it came with but I am. So I found another cable.

I can't remove files off it (i.e. the spanish help manual which can't be accessed from the device anyway.) So it gives me a warning that the device is almost full but won't give me a way of removing items. Sigh....

Anyway it is almost lunch here and I'm still in my PJs.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:53 pm

teachers have 40 to a class.

YIKES!! That is a very crowded classroom. I feel for the teachers & students who are dealing with such difficult circumstances.

The classroom that DS9 was assigned to at public school has 17 students in it. ALL BOYS! His grade does have 8 girls in it but they were all put into a different classroom. Everyone is commenting on why the administration would have an all boy classroom. I don't think it is a bad thing. This is the age that they are pairing off into boyfriend/girlfriend status and "going together". Reducing that hormonal distraction from the classroom doesn't seem like an all bad idea. I suspect the teacher of the 17 boys classroom will handle it with ease. She is an experienced teacher has a no-nonsense way of dealing with classroom distraction. The fact that she has a HUGE heart keeps it from being too harsh.

It is raining which means the kids are stuck in the house. The dogs are both in the house too. It is one of the types of days that I allow unrestricted screen time. They played Minecraft for an hour before switching to using their imagination IRL. Now the kids are busy building forts by draping the furniture with blankets. They get underneath the furniture/blanket tents and their imagination go into full force mode - I just heard them say "Hurry inside the fort! The polar bears are coming!". :lol:
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:58 pm

That sounds like a difficult gps system. I've never tried pre-programing a trip though with multiple stops.

Yeah, DGS is driving 3 hours and I hope he is taking the back way and not I4 and I75. I told him we don't even travel that way any more. Too much traffic and it isn't just that, it's that everybody seems to drive too close to each other. DH is fearless on the road and even he doesn't like it any more. I am concerned, but keeping him in my thoughts. He won't be here till tonight and I do hope he gets here before it's really dark. He's done a lot of driving so far in his young life.

I am chugging along here. 2nd LOL in the wash and sheets & some clothes washed and hung up. Vacuum run. I can tell running through the house with the little sweeper a lot doesn't do nearly as much as the big vacuum. One more room to do and a little in a bathroom them I'm good. I'm moving things around so he can have the room with the little TV in it.

Return to “Post When You Can”