SOCK IT TO 'EM SUNDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: SOCK IT TO 'EM SUNDAY

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Back from w mart went early. saw a new church service going at the school near by they will gebe having reqular servives in a mo. not sure if it is there or not Missionary Aliance type brand of faith.
Last edited by Nancy on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:49 pm

lucylee wrote:Sock it to 'em. Indeed.
(I'm just kidding y'all -- I'm not mad at any of you, and I agree that you all make valid points in J&C! I just respectfully disagree, at this point in time.)
But, go ahead, join in the nagging and suggesting, Harriet. (See J&C.)

I haven't been to J&C yet but I suspect I might be in the middle of this!

Long day so far, this is my first chance at a keyboard.

Got up a bit late, decided to s2s first, then eat, got listening to a podcast and started to pull out clothes for the trip. Then dd called to ask if I'll host dgs birthday party with adults (yes, of course) and then I realized I only had 20 minutes to eat, dry and style hair, and get off to church. We were 2 minutes late and that was due to missing the first elevator (it was full of people so we had to let it go without us.)

Church was OK, a lay leader who lead fine but her message demonstrated her research but not her ability to put it to good use. The soloist was wonderful as was the scripture reader. The organist was over-the-top as usual which dh hates and I love. He postlude was completely done ab lib, based on the final hymn and interpreting the scripture.

After church was a 2:15 long meeting about the NFs transitioning to life without our financial support. It was depressing because they are not going to do well. I had met with them over finances and budgeting last November (and got my knuckles rapped for that) because they were worried about finances. At that time (and I had an interpreter) I explained that they needed to save up enough money by September 1 to start paying their rent every month. In May they started to talk about moving and actually went so far as to give notice. So the other committee members helping them with transition assumed the last month's rent would be a non-issue so didn't remind them or explain. Then they discovered they could find nothing better anywhere else in the city so now we are 17 days from when they owe $1070 for their apartment (which, thankfully, their landlord said they could stay in.)

Anyway, I'm hardhearted and don't think we should pay September's rent (especially since I started talking about this last November and was told it wasn't my place to do so) partly because they are in a position to do so (it will be tough but they have enough money this month and next, before welfare kicks in and they'll be destitute.) My suggestion was to let them struggle for the next two months and then step in if necessary when they are destitute but the committee over-ruled me.

I am to go in on Wednesday with an interpreter and the chair of the committee and explain, physically, with Monopoly money, how tough a situation they are in. Words and charts with numbers aren't enough. Our last bit of financial support will be paid out on September 1. From that point onwards (with over $1000 in cash from us and their rent paid) they will have a month to get their act together. NFD earns $750 a month and they get $1100 from the government for child benefits. Their rent will be $1070. Not easy but doable considering they have all the things they need to get through the winter.

The other issue is that because they aren't moving, NF11 will change schools but the same social element will be in the new school. So will she go to school? Legally the school is supposed to report too many absences to Children's Aid who will intervene but her school last year did not do so (probably because it would shine a light on their poor handling of bullying and classroom control.) So she thinks she doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to. Because she won't go to school, mother won't go to language classes and the whole family is being held back by an 11-year old. If she doesn't get her way, she has screaming fits. Which generated complaints from neighbours and a warning that they'd be evicted. So they placate her to keep her quiet.

I'm thinking this is a big country and perhaps we should rent a cabin somewhere and let her scream for a bit until we get the upper hand with her once more. It shouldn't take more than a week to do that. But then again, I'm cruel and seriously into tough love.

Anyway, dh was anxious to get back to work so we skipped lunch out at the diner (sigh, that was my light at the end of the long tunnel of meeting) and I had a scrambled omelet for my lunch at 2. Ribs are on in the crock pot for dh and I'm having a veggie and chicken stir fry for my dinner. So at least dinner is planned.

Now that I have many to-do's this week for the family, I need to get packed and ready to go on the trip. My appointment with the family will be Wednesday afternoon or evening. We leave on Thursday by 9 a.m. (preferably 8.)

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:33 pm

This morning went well although I was almost late for church. We are typically an hour early for church to set things up. However this morning I visited the colorist after my walk which put me late. DH and I drove separately today because it drives him crazy to be running late. Running late isn't normally a big deal to me, however I was the one setting up/running the sound system today. :shock: All's well that ended well.

I walked 30 minutes this morning then had the thrill of finally riding my bike a mile! I know that sound ridiculously easy for those of you who ride bikes. It has taken me 2 weeks to reach the 1-mile distance. I have been listening to my body so I wouldn't push myself too hard/fast. Each day when I get off the bike after my ride, my legs muscles are trembling from the exertion. So I continued to just repeat the previous day distance with a few more feet added. repeat repeat repeat. Finally, all those days of adding a few more feet has resulted in reaching a mile. I am persistent if nothing else! :lol:

I am constantly amazed how much can be learned from the internet. I just did a search on "wobbly bike wheels" and discovered the spokes need to be tightened. You can tighten spokes??! whoa. I wouldn't have guessed that. I thought my wheels were warped.

During this morning walk, a rabbit ran across the road right in front of me. It startled me and I guess I made a noise. Immediately I heard feet stomping in the underbrush about a dozen feet from me. I started backing up away from the underbrush and hoping it wasn't a wild pig. Then I heard a snort and I knew what it was. A white tailed deer was stomping and snorting at me. Although the whole encounter probably didn't last 30 seconds it seems forever while I was trying to put some distance between us. The deer then turned from me and jumped over the fence and went bounding through the pasture. They are truly graceful creatures when they run in a bouncing way with tail held high.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Oh, Lilac! That is wonderful news!!! I am so happy for your dgd -- I know she must be bouncing off the walls, looking forward to getting that sweet baby home!

That does sound like a frustrating mess with the NF family, Kathryn, and especially after you tried to take some action to prevent the problems from happening and got told to back off, in a way.

I like the idea of the cabin where she can scream to her heart's content. I'm about ready to send everyone in my family to (separate) cabins.
Or what I'd really like.... just let ME go off to a cabin somewhere for the next 3 months. That should be enough time. ;) Give me wifi and a stack of library books, some diet cokes and frosted flakes... maybe some pizza... and just leave me alone for three months. Wouldn't that be an amazing getaway? (As long as I had complete security that no ax murderers or perverts were lurking around. I want a cabin in a VERY SAFE, isolated location, LOL!
It's not like it's a constant war or anything -- just talked to ds on phone; they are on their way home. No mention of any troublesome subject matter.

Yes, Kathryn you are in the middle of the J&C conversation, ;) but there's plenty of room there -- you are not alone by any means. I'm definitely outnumbered on this one. :(

WTG, LadyM, on your biking milestone. That was some excitement -- I'm glad it wasn't a wild hog, too!

Someone gave a baby gift today that looked like a stuffed wild hog. I mean, a soft, cuddly one. It was cute. Not at all like a REAL wild hog.

Nancy mentioned Wmart -- where I will be going later --
Have any of y'all seen all this chatter on the internet saying Wmart isn't going to price match anymore? I never ask them to price match, but I am wondering if this means they will be cutting out the Bluebird card program. That is really nice. I have about $51 in mine right now, just from buying what we always buy and putting the receipt # in the computer each week. At the end of last year, we had close to $100 in it. That's just free money. I hope they don't discontinue that! Sadie? Do you have any inside information?
Tomorrow is another day.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:48 pm

LucyLee, I've never heard of the 'bluebird card'. What is it? I certainly spend enough there.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:57 pm

A-river just refunded me my eclipse viewing glasses.

Through reddit I learned that the AAS is warning people that the ISO logo has been copied illegally on some. My supplier and brand were not on the OK list. So then I looked on A-river and the seller isn't selling anything any more.

I contacted them to ask if the glasses were safe or not. They don't know so they refunded my money. In the US they seem to be refunding almost everyone (even those from big-name camera filter companies like Phillips and people who bought welding shields.) That will take care of the liability but in the meantime, the real question is are they safe?

We know the ones we had in Germany didn't burn our eyes then so that means they are safe. Plus they are from one of the 5 safe manufacturers. That's the biggest difference between our old and new, the old had all kinds of information about optical density and name and address of manufacturer. The new ones say CE and ISO but only include a website and the website doesn't actually say anything about where they were manufactured or by which company.

Likely we'll be able to pick up new ones in Nebraska (NASA has them for instance and we are going to a NASA presentation.) We'll take our new ones and ask NASA about them and compare them to 'good' ones. When ds tried them on, he couldn't see a thing, including the sun. You have to be looking straight at the sun to see anything, and since it was completely black, he had no reference on how to tilt his head.

Anyway, that's another 2.5 hours blown on that (learning about the problem, researching my situation, contacting Amazon, followup with reddit thanking them for tipping me off.)

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:19 pm

Dee, I think you can find a link to it on Walmart's site. It's an American Express card that you can use like a bank card -- set up an account and use like a debit card. I do NOT do that -- the best thing about it is that when you get your receipt after you shop at wmart, then you scan the receipt or enter the # in the Bluebird account and it automatically checks prices against advertised specials. If another store had something cheaper, it gives you the difference and you can put it on your bluebird card and use it later. Some weeks I might get nothing, but usually it's a couple dollars or so.

That's a very bare bones explanation. Just ask at Walmart if you can't find it online.
Tomorrow is another day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Clothes are now all picked and folded for the trip except for underwear (I don't have enough so will need to wash again) and my red capris which are drying now.

Also picked jewelry, refilled my toiletries kit and picked out shoes. I'll pack my bin and overnight bag on Wednesday morning but everything is ready to go into them.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:17 pm

Dee -- google walmart savings catcher.
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:11 am

I never heard of Bluebird either, but I think I am going off WMart for a while for comfort's sake. Also changing shoes to a lace-up with higher heel that seems to feel better. Also trying to consciously avoid crossing my legs. Just trying to notice the things that bother the muscles, maybe.

Lilac, it is wonderful to hear this good news.

Kathryn, wow I'm so sorry this situation has snowballed with the 11-year-old. Of course, she must go to school. Yet it is true she's been the victim of some ugly actions in school. Others who have been treated badly have had to go back, though.

Our party was good - will tell tomorrow if I can. Just wanted to say hi and bye before falling into bed. I am beat.

Return to “Post When You Can”