MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:51 am

Where do you find motivation? What is it that motivates you? There are a lot of articles online about types of motivation; here's a simple one for your reading pleasure: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/produc ... ained.html

Types of motivation according to this article:
    Incentive
    Fear
    Achievement
    Growth
    Power
    Social

And a quote to think on:
People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.
Zig Ziglar
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Re: MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:16 am

I'm thinking on motivation today because I need some desperately! I've been neck deep in genealogy lately and I need to pull myself out of it long enough to do other stuff consistently.

In less than two weeks we'll be going on vacation to Wyoming - will visit a friend there and go to Yellowstone and Jackson Hole and some other side trips. Flying through SLC but can't stop at the library, LOL. When we come home we have three weeks until Rosh Hashanah, when we typically host a large partly pot luck dinner.

I need to make a list of what needs to happen before we go away. Then there's the eclipse, and I'm still dithering about plans. I'd like to drive north into the path of totality. We're at 99.7 obscurity here but I'd like to see more, weather permitting. I am thinking of driving to a church/cemetery that I've visited (some family graves there) but worrying about traffic and two lane roads for some of the trip. I ordered glasses from Amazon, according to info online, they are made in Germany and compliant; they'll arrive today.

What else? Tonight we're having company for dinner so I need to get moving. :shock:
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:19 am

Good morning, SHEs!

Twins, I love that quote.

What motivates me?

I haven't read the article - off the top of my head without understanding the definitions from the author:

Incentive - a bit short term but nothing lasting, except by accident (like the 2 minute challenge you offered us.) Instead of "If I get X done, I can do Y", I think that and then think "But if I do Y now, I'll be in a better mood to tackle X."

Fear - probably number one but fear of losing of 'face' so that might be social or fear of government fines in the case of the business. Fear of missing dealines, HUGE. But I always seem to push up against the deadline before I get moving.

Achievement - not really. At least not with big things. I am motivated to produce a nice dinner for guests, a good Christmas, a clean apartment, and each of those I see as an achievement when I go to bed that night. But, for instance, achieving academic excellence doesn't motivate me. Any courses I take are for support growth or social, not for the ability to say I've done X. I hate filling in surveys where they ask highest completed level of education. At least I have my high school diploma.

Growth - maybe this is where I'd put Spirit or God. I'm doing things I never thought I would with my preaching and that is growth and I want to see how far I'll take this.

Power - not intentionally. It comes as a side effect of my actions since I'm a natural leader, but I'm not motivated by it. I don't seek power, I seek building community or building up others.

Social - Depends on the definition in the article. Despite my shyness, I like doing things that build community and work towards that, so it must motivate me.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:30 am

Yes, lots to think on, Kathryn. Today, when we're having company tonight it's a combo of fear, social and achievement. For genealogical certification I think it's achievement and growth. Dh and I don't always talk about what's going on with me genealogically, but he was under the impression I had "started the clock" and was working toward submitting a portfolio. I'm not there - I'm still researching for the cases/cases I want to write about, but I wonder if I would have more focus/motivation, if I had the clock running. For those who don't remember, once the initial application is submitted (starting the clock), the portfolio is to be submitted within the year, but extensions are available.

Right now:
-breakfast and meds
-lists! (and why wasn't I motivated yesterday to at least start organizing my mind??)
-empty the dishwasher/kitchen counters
-throw on clothes and walk the ddog around the block (will s2s later)
-straighten great room

and I'm off, hopefully.

The evening really should be low stress, except that dcleaning lady has been off her schedule and came a week ago. I'd like to at least get up the dog hair!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:42 am

Good Morning!

I'm a bit of a slug this morning. I stayed in bed until after the sun was up. I then did my walk and bike ride. There is a huge difference in the amount of traffic on the road at 6am and 7am. Although I can't really imply we have a traffic problem. My walk/ride today included being on the road with about a dozen vehicles during my 30+ minutes. We don't have sidewalks here so everyone shares the road.

RE: Walmart bluebird card. You can also just use the price catcher in the WM app (android). Scan your receipt from your phone and the WM app does everything else automatically. You can get a refund on ecards instead of signing up for bluebird card/system.

I checked with the NASA list of approved glasses before ordering the ones we will be using. We are in the mid 80's viewing range. We will do a study of the eclipse in homeschool and take a long lunch hour to watch it.

Speaking of homeschool. Today is day #33. *POOF*
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:52 am

Twins: Definitely go to the eclipse, it is amazing, the feeling that comes over when the sun disappears is something you feel in your body. It helped me further understand sun worshiping and gods and the whole definition of God as light and hell as darkness. You do feel something is missing and get a bit edgy but it also puts humanity in perspective (nature is much more powerful than humans and we think we can tame it, we cannot, we can only live with nature, not control it.)

I checked Nashville's weather forecast yesterday and at this point it looks worth the drive. You need to get on the road early towards totality, though, the highways are expected to be clogged - which is part of the reason I switched from Columbia to Lincoln - fewer people within a half day's drive to totality.

When I booked it was before the election but even then I had civil unrest at the back of my mind. I didn't foresee the events of the weekend (or the results of the election for that matter.) I'm not comfortable entering the US so its a quick in-out, except for extending it around the Great Lakes added an extra day; in the US - without that our first night on the road would have been on the Canadian side of the Michigan border, so 5 nights in the US instead of 6. Of course, that's why dd isn't joining us. Thankfully there's an eclipse with totality within a few hours in 2024 so it isn't as if she'll miss out for decades, she just has to wait 7 more years.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:57 am

The above sat there for about an hour.

I've am now clean and in underwear. There's a dress laid out but I'm doing a pedicure and it is easier without the long skirt getting in my way. Should someone knock, I'll high-tail it to the bedroom.

Old nail polish is off, feet soaked and scrubbed, nails clipped and cuticle cleaned up in a slip-shod manner. Basecoat is on. Now I have to keep interrupting my task at hand to go add coats. I did red first this year, then maroon, now it is the turn for black since it will go with the most number of packed outfits. This is probably my second last one before cold weather ends sandal weather. I'll do another before/after Christmas in prep for Australia. Then I might get them done professionally while down under. I'm so afraid of getting something that I prefer to do it, poorly, myself. I seldom find it a relaxing experience for some strange reason.

I'll do my finger nails as well once I get to the last two coats. I must remember to pack remover for those and polish to touch up things during the trip.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:01 am

Morning...

I've seen several full eclipses but won't see this one... well maybe if I watch tree shadows. Long ago we would make glasses out of many photo negatives stacked together to look at the eclipse but haven't taken pictures with film in years so no negatives around here.

Doesn't matter because I have an eye appointment at the same time the eclipse is suppose to be happening here and I'm having my eyes Dialated.

As for motivation... what does that for me is pleasing myself and seeing results of my efforts. And when it comes to doing something that I don't really want to do, like my favorite.... dusting... I know from experience once I start I love the results and that is what makes me happy.

Off to start my day.. I'm headed back to the gym. I want to stay strong and that motivates me :D
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:07 am

Today I am implementing a motivational element for DS9 to finish his lessons in a timely manner. His waning focus is motivated by being given a # of minutes he has to finish each worksheet/lesson. The number of minutes he is given is determined by the average number of minutes it has taken him to finish similar lesson over the past 8 weeks. If he finishes each lesson early then he gets the remaining time to play as a reward. If he doesn't finish on time then he will do the remainder of that lesson/worksheet as homework using his own time. I give him plenty of time so he isn't stressed but he does feel the need to stay focused because he doesn't want to impact his play time. This seems to be working because he frequently catches himself stop working on his lesson to play with his dog or daydream and then he talks to himself "I need to focus! I need to pay attention!" Then he starts working again with renewed effort & focus. Hopefully, this will result in a way of him learning to train himself to focus.

He has 17 more minutes to finish the Teaching Textbook lesson he is currently working on. That gives me time to S2S and do personal care before the timer goes off. *POOF*
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:24 am

And done....I've looked online at routes for getting to where I want to go. I wonder how early I need to leave home? It's an hour away in "normal" traffic. Kathryn, I'm in the southeast part of TN near the GA line - the area I'm thinking of would get me two minutes and twelve seconds of totality, assuming weather is decent and I can get there. And weather for now, looks to be mostly sunny, maybe even clear.

-brush/floss since I'll s2s later
-start challah
-head out to grocery

Return to “Post When You Can”