MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Lilac

Re: MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY

Postby Lilac » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:38 pm

We are at the hospital. A lactation expert is working with dgd21 and dggs for his 2:00 feeding. She is hoping he catches on because once they are home, she doesn't want to have to feed and pump.
Once his feeding is over we are taking her shopping for some things for the baby, that she needs.
My dm is coming tomorrow for the day. We are going to celebrate her 80th birthday, 6 days early. Originally we had planned to go to hometown area on August 19.Then on Sunday I was going to attend a potluck family reunion with her. Her birthday is the 21st and I had planned to spend the day with her. Then the next day we could see dhs dsis. On the 23rd we planned to go to Kansas City because Dh has an 8:20 appt on the 24th and then we could head home. That was pre dggs. Dm told me last night that she realizes my plans have changed. Also, the last 2 years we have came back Labor Day weekend and on Sunday her and dsisters had a big dinner for their families. 2 years ago both dds went. Last year just dd1 and her Dh. This year both dds planned to go. Dm mentioned cancelling it, since the only reason they had it was because we would be there. Dm realizes after being away from home a lot of August, the last thing we all need is to travel more. I really appreciate that her and her sisters feel this way. Takes a lot of stress off me.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:58 pm

Dgd just texted me, "guess who just breastfed?" I am so happy for her and him.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:14 pm

I think we have a T-storm moving in, hopefully will cool things off. I probably am not going to have time to walk the yard for dog poop so am hoping for rain, actually. Two of our guests are young.

Going again. This time will straighten up MBR and s2s. Need to sweep kitchen floor also.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:17 pm

The BBQ was a success. Everyone raved about the food truck food. They ran out of hamburgs at 6:50 (they were only open until 7) and so that's a good sign. We had 50% more people than last year. We got another 16 renewals and/or new members, so that more than paid for the ice cream we handed out ($90 worth!)

I went for walking club at 7:30 instead of 7 and by then everything was all cleaned up and put away. I've got someone looking to buy more chairs and perhaps another table or two.

People want the truck 2x a summer (so July and August) and others want to try a pot luck supper as well, so that's been set to try in June next year.

Everyone seemed really happy so that's wonderful. I'm very pleased how today went.

Now to get back to paperwork. I got the data entry done before the bbq so need to reconcile 3 credit card accounts and pull the receipts and shred them. If I can do that quickly, I'll be able to do the shredding tonight.

Edited to add: Done! Plus I reconciled two of the three bank accounts. That's a relief to have that data entry done since I know no credit cards will come due while I'm away (I went online to make sure all that come due before I return are paid up) and that we have money in the bank accounts and exactly how much.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:36 pm

I have to teach budgeting on Wednesday evening so I've started to draw up budget categories and will fill in the amounts. I've posted in the Canadian personal finance sub-reddit for help with categories and possibly amounts (how much to teenagers get for an allowance these days?)

I was really strict with money and my kids. I gave them, I think, $80 per month for them to spend as they pleased. But they were required to buy their own clothes. I would buy winter coats and boots and other required footwear. But everything else was their responsibility. They could spend all $80 on candy but if they needed a piece of clothing, they'd have to buy used or go without. I figured they should budget about $450/year for clothes and the remainder for things. This started when they were about 11. And I started it after I had outfitted them for school so they had time to save up for something. What I was trying to avoid was the status clothes and jeans. If they wanted a piece or two, fine, they'd have to cut back elsewhere.

What's funny is that at the time ds didn't spend much. Dd spent even less, scouring used shops. That she still does. Ds, on the other hand, has just bought a fancy wardrobe to put all his custom suits and shirts and shoes in!

The NFs won't have the same latitude. Thankfully there won't be cell phone contracts to cancel (all three phones only require $45/month minimum) so that's one pitfall they've avoided due to my insistence. Same with internet. Rent is high but it is the best choice for them because it includes heat (which can run $400/month here in the winter.) They already get reduced rate bus passes for transportation. So the only place to cut back will be food and spoiling the girls. I'm hoping they'll agree to pay the girls an allowance and then the girls can spend their money as they see fit. It will give them some control and help them learn to make choices.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:19 pm

Incentive
Fear
Achievement
Growth
Power
Social

I've been thinking a lot about this today.
I know I am not motivated by power, b/c I don't really even LIKE being in a "powerful" position. Some might say teaching was a position of power/authority, but I never felt that was my strong suit. And of course, some of you might think I am trying to have power in this current situation with ddil, but I am not really motivated by trying to control that situation -- I just want dh to be happy and stress-free. So I guess that is SOCIAL motivation.

I guess I am socially motivated to the point that I do want to please people, when the people are family members.

I am also motivated by incentive and fear -- I think that was my motivation in school, at least, as a student -- I wanted to make good grades, and I wanted to avoid any disappointment/lectures from ddad.
That may have been some motivation by achievement, as well, b/c dmom has said they never had to put any pressure on me -- that I always put too much on myself. I have always been something of a perfectionist -- in school, in relationships, in everything. I just kinda expect, and want, everything to be perfect -- and of course, that is very disappointing most of the time.
Incentive and fear are poor motivators for having a spotless house, b/c no one here cares at all, except me. And wanting it to be "perfect" is just so overwhelming that I literally pull the covers over my head and take a nap when I should be cleaning.
I should focus on the feeling of achievement -- especially SMALL victories.

I do not think growth is a big motivator for me, b/c I think I am probably too content in the state in which I find myself. ;)

I do have small victories for today -- although I didn't accomplish much until after 6:00 p.m. :oops:
After supper, I
* made long-postponed call to great aunt/uncle to wish them a belated 70th anniversary and explain dmom & my absence from their party
* stripped bed, sheets now in dryer, second load in washer
* kitchen s/s
Earlier today, I had lots of errands --
* insurance office
* post office (returned pkg for dmom, sent rsvp to cousin re: wedding)
* grocery store
* oil change
* talked to dmom -- she did not need groceries today, and said she did not need me to take her to dentist tomorrow
* talked with and made phone calls for dfriend going through the bankruptcy stuff

I may have to get her groceries tomorrow. If not, Wed. dh & I plan to go out there and get a chair to take to College Town.
I'm really concerned about whether dh can manage College Town this season anyway. He has felt TERRIBLE today. BP was 70/50.
DBIL called and said dniece had left LOTS of furniture in the condo, so we will likely only need to take the chair and maybe some lamps. Very, very good news, b/c I was worried about dh having to help ds load/unload a lot of furniture.

Tomorrow, I also need to call the cable company down there, so dh & ds can switch out a cable box when they go, and the realty company to see if they need to pick up our parking passes or have them mailed to us.
Also, we have a special election here tomorrow (state senator, since ours is now attorney general, you know.)
And, dcousins' grandmother (their father's mother) passed away, and I'm going to try to go to the visitation.
DH * if he can make it! * and ds/ddil sing at nursing home tomorrow night.

CUOP a little bit.

We never gave ds an allowance, but we probably should have. Not that he is a spend-thrift or anything these days, but they do have to watch their money very closely and I suspect neither of them have much experience with budgeting. It's probably a miracle they do as well as they do.

We've had lots of rain today, and I think some more tomorrow, but MAYBE it will clear up by Wed. I certainly hope so, with them moving furniture. I don't know if we (dmom/ds/etc) have a tarp for ds's truck anywhere or not.

Sooo happy for your dgd and dggs, Lilac! Happy early birthday to your dmom, too!

Speaking of Kansas City... I have had Kansas City Star, by Roger Miller, on my mind all weekend. Y'all can enjoy it too! :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQqJd0cXOgs

WTG, Twins! Hope all went well with the party.

Mondays are usually motivating for me, Cathy, but dh has slept a lot today, so I tried to be quiet, and it led to a lot of laziness on my part.

I certainly hope dgs's school takes precautions re: the eclipse viewing. I've been seeing all this stuff on FB re: glasses that are not really safe...
* shesh * And you can't depend on kids to keep the glasses ON correctly...
I saw where one school in our county is allowing students to stay home to watch and it will not count as an absence. That would probably be the SAFEST way to allow children to watch.
DH and I do not have glasses yet, either. I am going to call my uncle and see if he has any extra welding goggles/glasses.
I want to see it, but I don't want to go blind! Sitting on the front porch and seeing the EFFECT of it may be enough for me, you know? I think we get about 95% totality here.

Waving to EVERYONE!!!! Hope y'all have a good night and a good Tuesday!
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:00 am

I got the laundry current. Did a few rounds on the kitchen. Baked a quiche for dinner & an apple plum zuchinni cake put it in 2 pans. Forgot cheese in the quiche. :roll:

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:30 am

I've been told the glass in DH's welder helmets might not be adequate. I just don't know. I've also read the glasses sold by places like 7 11 are knock-offs and mfrs. have been using the official designation when it's not really true. So I just don't know. There is something you can do with film negatives but I'm told some negative material might also not be adequate. Maybe I just won't look at all. DH doesn't really care about it. I'm amused at all the hype, you'd think the world was coming to an end.

Sure been busy around here. DH keeps grabbing DGS and going out to do things. DGS is fine with that, he actually thinks that's fun, certainly better than sitting around doing nothing. We did burn the wood at the burn pile last night but there were too many gnats out there and it was really hot even though we sat way back. Too hot to even make s'mores.

Got some laundry done and a bunch of desk chores. Thought we'd do something fun this evening (last evening he's here) but he is going out with his Uncle and Aunt and probably they'll take him to dinner. DGS is leaving tomorrow morning. :cry:

Lucylee, I liked your list of motivators. I am very motivated by fear, which I try to fight all the time, and I gotta say that is an exhausting way to live. I also have that perfectionist gene and with my life I could work 24-7 non-stop and nothing around here would ever be perfect so that is frustrating.

We've been working on our three palm trees out front and we've gotten them mostly all trimmed, with DGS using the little chain saw up on the long pole and DH and I dragging the fronds/seeds away. There is one tree to still do. I hope there is some time left this afternoon to do something fun.

Return to “Post When You Can”