FIVE MINUTE FRIDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
BookSaver
Administrator

Re: FIVE MINUTE FRIDAY

Postby BookSaver » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:43 pm

Checking in:
It isn't 5:00 yet but I have done enough of everything on my 5x5 to feel good about progress.

I did not find the right shoes to buy. I took Harmony's suggestion and bought a pair of DrS insoles with arch support. The style for women's shoes looked wimpy so I bought the ones that were labeled for men's work boots. I'll test them tomorrow because it's my Saturday to work.

Pantry and freezer were pretty bare so I bought a lot at Aldi. When other people are thinking "back to school" I am starting to plan how to stock up for winter weather emergencies. If I buy a few extra canned goods and nonperishable staples every time I go to a grocery store, it isn't as big of a sticker shock to fill the cupboards.

Laundry will be ongoing for a few days because there is a backlog of some loads that weren't worth carrying to the laundromat. I added another load today by buying a new set of sheets. They're in the washer now. I can't stand sleeping on sheets straight out of the package.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:57 pm

Not 1, but 2 techs showed up. I just needed a new modem.

Dh and I had a roast of pork and as soon as the techs went out the door, I was putting water on for rice and prepping some green beans from the garden. I even had some crunchy pork fat that actually became crackling (?) when I put it back in the oven while we ate. Crunch, crunch, crunch. Dh doesn't like it, so I had as much as I desired and that was it.

I had to re-find my favourite sites to get back here after they changed modems.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:03 pm

Went to new frozen yogurt shop in town with ddil and dgrands. We're such a Tiny Town that this is a BIG deal in town. It was busy! But delicious.
Dgs had another good day at school, so this was his reward.

Now I'm kinda in a sugar crash though.
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:04 pm

kiddos are here now the 2 boys. I wrote a letter to my dsis. Card to mom next up. Dinner next up after that. KidN is not going camping next week so will be here on Tues. the rest of the week we will figure out as we go.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:02 pm

Let us know how the men's insoles work, Booksaver. Might be interesting.

A camper who we sent home with an extra inhaler dh had the other day brought us fresh garlic today. Showed us how to peel and put some in olive oil for infused oil. Now I need to research using fresh garlic -we've been bad about ever using it. I know it's good and good for us too.

It's been quite hot today and had AC on until an hour or so ago. Now it's a really nice breeze and I've opened the doors.

Bought a couple of stackable drawers today in brown to go under my computer desk. Putting things like index cards, computer paper, computer odds 'n ends in the drawers. Brought the paper shredder out to hide on one side of the desk but now have to figure out how to plug it in -plug won't reach. Have to see if my heavy computer cord will reach.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:23 pm

2 trips to move in to dorm were both exhausting, crowded. 101 heat index and wet air.
Had to park farther away than ever before - didn't know I would ever park that far.
If you'd have hollered, the folks at the dorm couldn't have heard you.

Then realized that for the first trip, for which dd decided not to bring the fridge, she didn't bring the hand truck either. :| Not a problem UNTIL further realized that the things she'd packed to carry were extraordinarily heavy. Should have paid more attention and put a stop to that, but I was just grateful she was packing her own things - didn't think.

We stopped to give ourselves breaks 4 or 5 times, out of the parking area, across the busy "street" with traffic cops, up the walkway, down the next walkway, across the walking bridge, around the closed cafeteria, (sat a long time at an outdoor table), up the steps, up the next walkway and finally to the front door only to be told we first must go around the side of the dorm to enter another place. Then through the interior maze (in a little AC thank goodness) for all the paraphenalia and her signatures, and finally to the waiting line for the elevators, with all the other fainting people. Saw an ambulance come for someone.

Her room was an adventure in heat.
However, her view is very nice and the space is good.
The RAs for the floor are her neighbors - very pleased.
We moved furniture and moved furniture - whew. Like Tetris.

After much thought, we decided to come home and regroup in AC.
My left arm, because of my watch I believe, was giving me a fit. I moved the watch over to right arm and it slowly got better. I was almost thinking I would need a sling!

We decided to power through it and go back soon. Somehow, she and I muscled the fridge into the back seat and with a pillow wedged, put the hand truck in, too. Microwave in trunk. She called the young man, who came and met us in the parking deck and helped carry all into the dorm. By the time he arrived we had muscled the fridge out and packed the hand truck and strapped it. Only the microwave and pillows were loose, and I got the pillows! They traded off the harder work and we made it back.

We sat, exhausted, just getting ourselves rested a bit and lo and behold - Fire Drill! :shock: :o :( We couldn't take the hand truck into the stairwells, and the elevators were forbidden, so we had to leave it behind in her room until someone can get back over there. Dstepson says it's no problem - he has no need for it for a while.

She is spending the night there, believing those who tell her the AC will catch up after the doors are finally closed downstairs.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Tobias has been terrified of something since the middle of last night. I've never seen him like this. He will almost not come to be fed - we have to coach and coach. He has not slept all day (awful for a cat). When I put a hand on him and there's a noise such as HRH coming downstairs, his whole body tenses or even jerks. It's not a hair-raising fat-tail kind of thing as if he's going to fight - purely fear.

The only thing we can think of is that something in dd's moving has confused him. We took the skateboard (which was new in the LR as of yesterday) and put it into the far corner of her room with the door closed, thinking he might have touched it or have seen it roll in the night. I'm going to take down the bday banner, although it never bothered him before.

It does dawn on us that he could be right and we could be wrong - could a varmint have come somehow down chimney or in past us at door? Pets are equally confuse-able and aware/savvy. We can't smell very well - he can. Wish I could speak cat.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:27 pm

(((Harriet))) what a day! Hope you sleep well tonight!
I'm very interested in what Tobias is anxious about. That's fascinating. Maybe it is just all the hub-bub with DD moving.

I've posted almost NOTHING today, bc that's what I've done: almost NOTHING.

Waving good night to all!
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:46 am

Update on dmom in J & C.
Watching Preseason fball game.

Return to “Post When You Can”