Sunday Choices

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Sunday Choices

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:31 pm

LadyM: I have been thinking of you. Your son used to lived in Houston as well, or was that Dallas?

Dinner is done. First load of laundry in the dryer. Must start second load and then hang it before bed.

Plants watered. Balconies put to rights, the plants back in their proper spots. There are two tomatoes turning and the rest have lived so there is hope I'll get some tomatoes yet. There are still 6 in the fridge as well and one of those has started to turn as well.

I'm still putting things away. The kitchen things are almost done but now I have dinner things to clean up.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:33 pm

Our constant rain here is from a totally different "tropical disturbance". I suspect if that all hadn't been going on over in Texas, they'd have given it a name or called it tropical storm. Maybe not enough wind? Town a half-hour south of us floods badly and the county south of us is having lots of flooding. I'm sure there's some in our county too. Yesterday we had hardly any sun at all, just rain off and on and heavy rain last night.

My friend says every time she looks at her rain gauge it has overflowed. It holds 12". She didn't even brave it to come to church. I did but brought my umbrella in case it was raining when we came out. Thought if it was raining I'd want to run and the way my luck's been running I'd probably slip and fall in the parking lot.

My bruises are all changing colors. I still hurt.

Managed to get some shopping done on the way home and it was heavy stuff like big box of laundry soap, and I had a bad cramp in the shoulder/muscle I pulled. Also managed to get some dinner cooked, first cooking I've done in a week.

DH and I worked on 2 big paper piles and got 2 projects ready to go out the door. I will take the 1 and he will take the other. I'm supposed to go to breakfast with my 2 girlfriends, but 1 is sick and needing a dr. appointment. Plans are up in the air whether we will see her or not. Otherwise I will get together with the 1.

Really awful pictures of Texas. I feel bad for those people. We did not have that much flooding with Charlie. And the storm was smaller and moved right along out of the area.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Dh and I purged our hall closet tonight after supper. 2 of his jackets are now going. I moved absolutely all the stuff hanging and now it looks better in there. I still have to get at the shoes and other foot wear.

I have started stitching on the Mar Bek Snow Angel again, but this time I have a good copy of the chart and having the project on a floor stand makes such a difference for me. I bought a floor stand yesterday for $5, and dh says he can't split/cut the dowel because there is a knot right in the middle. Ah, well... maybe I will use thumbtacks.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:02 pm

DSon spent months working in Houston area but lived north of Dallas. DSon/DDIL owned several condos in Waco, Tx but thankfully sold them a year or so ago. I have several friends and former co-workers that live/work in San Antonio, TX area. They said it is rainy and windy but nothing like the beating the coast line area is taking. Before Harvey arrived, the military bases in TX sent their airplanes to the military bases near us to get away from the worst of the storm.

I am officially DONE with bulk cooking. That was crazy of me to do so much at one time. I didn't plan to do it but just sorta started and kept going. I haven't pulled everything out of the freezer and counted them but I do know it is over 150 meals. After I had processed a couple dozen meals I opened a new box containing 125 zip lock bags. I used all those and another couple dozen from another box. When I first started I was organizing the meals nice and neat.....stacking them like a deck of cards. The label of each meal all lined up. ***PFFFT*** I gave up on doing that and went for speed. I got 3 king size pillow cases in different colors and put chicken meals in one, beef meals in another and pork meals in the 3rd. Each meal is labeled but there are so many of them that I have no desire to sort through all of them and count how many of what we have. I am just extremely glad to be DONE.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Just ci:
Normal Sunday here.

I've been looking at those pictures from Houston, too. Our cousins are okay, physically -- one set is out of town and when they emailed us, they had not heard the condition of their home.
So sad, thinking of all the people in the medical district, already at the end of their ropes probably, and now stuck in the hospital with their cars underwater, or even worse, possibly stuck AWAY from the hospital and unable to get in for needed treatments. Of course when I think of Houston, my first thoughts will always be of MD Anderson now.
And the picture of those nursing home people actually sitting in water up to their waists??!! By all accounts, that IS a real picture -- posted as a plea for help, and help did come eventually after the post. But how on earth does something like that happen??? Elderly and those unable to evacuate themselves should be the number one priority!

Oh well... on a brighter note, I have not talked to dgs since the skating party, but I hope you all saw how well everything went. It's in my last post from yesterday (Saturday.)
Tomorrow is another day.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:14 pm

((Harmony))

The family that the young man has in Houston says the backyard is now a "bog" but the house itself is on higher ground, as is the front yard, and they believe it (and they) will be safe. They were not in an evacuated area, at least there was no recommended evacuation for their area specifically.

Lynlee, I just watched Super-Size Me for the first time, at the recommendation of ds32. While watching it, dd19 was here and remembered that she had watched it in some high school class. She was warning me... "he's about to throw up, right here... .. all the kids got so excited right here..." Evidently for high schoolers, the vomiting scenes were the most impressive. I was most impressed when the dark-haired doctor got so upset. "You're kicking your liver when it's down!" :shock:

Sugar is not something I try to be perfect about, although I'm sparing. My monkfruit/stevia drops help. We buy just those slim cylinders of table sugar now and keep it with the salt and pepper in the cabinet. The former sugar canister is used for bulk rice. The only regular use I make of table sugar is for homemade coleslaw. HRH reaches for it for his various teas. And I realize it is a minor ingredient of the "Milked Hazelnuts" carton by Elm hurst that dd19 bought us for a coffee creamer, but I like the product so much that I forgive its imperfection! Other than that, sugar is in breads we may choose. I know that I won't be able to start adding bread-making to my projects, so I won't be having perfect recipes for that. The real thing to look out for, for us, is some random processed food treat that we don't think about before sharing. Also there are ambushes by the dreaded wild birthday cake.

Tomorrow, I have two bills to pay for the church.
Continue search for a missing letter and form.
2 loads of laundry needed, to catch back up
Dreaded Phone Call
make notes for two less dreaded calls to help others
consider sending at least one card - wish I could do more but no time

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:41 pm

Sandwiches for dinner were excellent yum! I did the dishes got, the laundry current as well.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:50 pm

Harriet - I think bread needs sugar for yeast to work.
I have found a bread that seems to work for me. packaging claims 5.4g per serve /2slices, so I'll just keep to that, and whole food.

Gotta shed tears for the wind rain flood damaged areas.
Harmony - I think you've been on the edge of Harvey affected. I know our cyclones here can have a long reach, and with your's spinning the other way, that's the leading wind edge towards Fl if not the center, still packs a punch.
6" in an hour sucks. 1meter of rain over night, things aren't built to cope with that.

yoga this morning.
found I'd mislaid my purse(money and id holding 'wallet'), but luckily had money from dm in handbag so used that. I think I need a hiding place for an id item. Life is difficult without one of those.
chemist for script. luckily I didn't need id.
bought a card and couple of books for dgd.
home. frantic search found purse in with lib books collected Saturday. eventually.
call to telco re signing off fault. Found out a little of how to wifi new stuff, if I want to be more mobile.
still easily get to spin out mode when it all seems too much.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Return to “Post When You Can”