Monday Meeting of the Minds

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Monday Meeting of the Minds

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 am

DS9 school work is planned and laid out for him. I'll monitor him to make sure he stays on track with it. I'll also grade the papers as he finishes them.

I've contacted the place we are trying to get DGS23 into. They didn't answer the phone so another message was left on their voice mail. I wonder if it would be better to drive there and make face-to-face contact? Hum..... It is about an hour away.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:08 am

Good morning all! I am envying y'all with the heat, I had to run the car heater this morning, and my house is colder than I like. I kicked butt this weekend! I delivered invitations to the dog people and church people, got all the Hawaii and Social Distortion pictures off the camera, made a DVD of Hawaii for traveling companion, backed up my computer so I can KEEP those photos, cooked about two weeks worth of food, got the church webwork done, and did party cleanup in kitchen, LR, and hallway. Best of all, I repaired and rehung the laundry room doors! That's the one that pleases me the most, it has been driving me nuts. It's also the sort of chore that my x, my mother, and many of my friends say I need a man to take care of. Whose the man of the house? Elizabeth's Own Handyman Service, that's who!

During the day, I have so many DPCs I can't see straight. Two are for vets. One is an easy followup for Briggs. The other ... not so good. Tiki will likely need more meds and a steroid shot (when? how from Work City?). She has been avoiding my bed, but I realized while typing this, it's not a symptom of worsening problems, she's probably COLD. Tonight, the window will get closed, bedding will be added, and we will see what happens. Realistically, she is 17 yo and declining.

Tonight's focus is sewing. I need to repair a favorite t-shirt before it is too cold to wear it AND it might be a good idea to start the Hawaiian shirt for my Halloween costume. There will also be a LOL and grocery run. B&B needs to be done tonight or tomorrow.

I noticed AustinGranny while CUOPing. Welcome back!

Don't worry about blessedw2's mind. It will come to the meeting and I am standing by with my cat trap!

ETA: Four DPCs down, proxy vote completed! Two more DPCs to go (one needs some research), 5 invitations to send out, and emails to check. I can get this done!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 am

Elizabeth, I envy you the cool. The heat makes me lazier than usual.

Will rush to get dressed before dh gets home. I've just sent him on an errand on the way to buy myself some time!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:11 pm

I have done qt, & journaled, made the bed did 30 on the exercise bike. I started to get a charley horse this morning so had kinks to work out had a sore foot last nite and that made my knee hurt, I need to hydrate, and get the rest of the trash out. Breakfast is over. Thinking on mid morning stuff. Feeling a tad on the ouny side today. I need to pick up the back yard.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:28 pm

That's funny, blessed.
If a meeting of the minds requires a "card" (mind), and you've lost your mind, are you still admitted to the meeting? Are the other members competent to ponder this question in theirs? Is it enough that you managed to get to the meeting at all, since there was a pretty good chance it wasn't on your calendar and you didn't remember directions anyway? If you brought refreshments, does anything else even matter? Very deep questions.

Great phrase for a title.

It's BookSaver (greatly missed) who is considering whether a microwave is really needed. I think mine would be hard to do without because for hot drinks I am just not committed enough to have an actual appliance and just make instant, plus my fav "new" way to enjoy leftover rice is microwaving in a deep bowl with wet paper towel wrapped around the rice and that saves me food/money. Those are two biggies, but there are others. What I do wish I could "shop for" is more counterspace, and the microwave does cheat me out of some of that. Again, not committed enough to hire someone to come install a built-in. Right now HRH is brain-storming a solution to that. We'll see.

Dd missed today's early class, sending a photo of dr's note to professor. I hope that counts for something. She is walking rather pitifully, and walking is her main course of study, lol - it's a walking "city" there. Possibly some friend can drive her either to or from class this afternoon. She has serious pain med for nights. We're blessed with clear weather or there would be another worry - just any shoe won't work and a sandal helps. Dr. made a big deal out of not disturbing this dressing for 3 days. I guess she'll try sponge baths and washing her hair in the dorm sinks, which won't be easy as I recall them.

Her school friend whose mom is a nurse says her mom never heard of the glue in place of stitches. I don't know how, but both HRH and I felt like we had heard of it. Dr said he'd found it would secure even toddler's hand wounds well, and that was a tough test. I certainly believe that.

HRH and I were so exhausted after we got home from this very urban ER last night, but also wired. Neither of us could sleep until 2:30. HRH said I was in "mommyhover mode". I think he was in responsibility mode, plus so irritated with what he considered some incompetency at ER. I think that was coming from his nerves, though - they were just overwhelmed with patients. At one point they "lost" dd (unforgivable in Daddy's mind) because she was on the computer as being taken from xray to a room, but in actuality she was assigned to a bed, not a room, and beds were just lined up in hallways. All dressing of her wound took place in a line-up of beds in a hallway, with dr and nurse partially blocking "traffic" of other gurneys, EMT, etc. as they leaned over her foot. It was not their choice, but it got us out of there faster, so I was for it. Other people with a lot more than hurting feet needed the rooms. EKG was called to three different rooms just during the time dd's "glue" dried.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Thanks for correcting me Harriet. I knew it was Bookie but when I typed the B my fingers took over since my mind is too tire for a meeting or anything else today! I feel like I had 2 full days crammed into yesterday so am averaging things out today.

Two medical appointments have now been made in followup from my annual physical. One more to go. The first is in late October, the second in February (they were booking January but I'm not here.)

I've got the good china, etc. all put away. Took out the table leaves, then took advantage of the lighter table and swung the carpet under it to the diagonal. Then I opened the table almost to full to see how this would work. Dh arrived home and could pull on the other side so we got all the leaves in. There will be one crowded seat and we'll still have to use the balcony to get to the far side of the table but it is much better on the diagonal than the straight and we can fit 14 at the table (before I only got 12 or 13.) It should fit 16 - 18 but I think people are wider than they were in the 1800s, so buying narrower chairs won't really help.

I had 20 at it once but they were children, I used the old fashioned wooden Church hall chairs and the kids stood up on the chairs, walked down to their seat and sat down! I put 2 on each end instead of one. The kids loved the unusual way of sitting down at the table!

I have 12 chairs, 7 matching, 3 in another style and 2 singles. During the move I meant to get rid of three of them but there is sort-of room for them here around the edge of the room so kept them so I wouldn't have to buy folding chairs. If I have more than 12 I borrow the folding chairs from the Residents' Association. I'd love to get rid of the 3 and buy the fancy folding chairs (the ones that look like regular dining chairs) but then I'd have to store them somewhere. Maybe once I get rid of more stuff.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:08 pm

I don't know how, but both HRH and I felt like we had heard of it.
Dh's first knee replacement had staples, Harriet. But this time they used glue. Much nicer scar. I somehow missed how dd19 hurt her foot?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:42 pm

lol d harriet ! I pulled my cards again - my mind is in a different state: a state of CHAOS :D 8-) :lol: sorry I couldn't resist.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:43 pm

I hit a tired spot but still have to put away groceries
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Blessed - stay away from the tired spot, I've been stuck here all day!

The final appointment has been made, October 15. So that's now done (except for me doing a blood draw.)

I've handled the emails in response to the big email I sent out last night. People still want an RA that does advocacy. That's all well and good but it isn't what I want to work on so I hope they show up with someone to take on the role of president. What happens at almost every meeting is that I'm told I should be doing things differently. I'm glad I'm as stubborn as I am. Each time that happens, my resolve gets stronger.

And in the meantime, the idiot trying to put together an advocacy group doesn't respond to emails and phone calls when someone has an important issue to be addressed, like the shutting down of the tuck shop. Grrrr. That same idiot told me in the elevator that he's planning to run for city council and I simply told him I was a supporter of the incumbent. So I didn't have to lie (that's true) but it also meant I didn't have to say that I would never vote for someone who was running just for the glory and who has no intention of doing any of the work.

Return to “Post When You Can”