Thursday Ta-DA!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Thursday Ta-DA!

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:12 am

I've read that sometimes it is better to make a Ta-DA list instead of a To-Do list.

Then others say lists are not motivational at all.

Whichever way works the best for you is the right way.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Re: Thursday Ta-DA!

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:23 am

I'm working my way through several projects by using the baby stepping method and just trying to make at least a little progress on each of them.

It helps me to have a list of items that need to be done for each of the projects. Then I can pick something to accomplish and know that project is still moving forward. I realize this isn't the most efficient method to complete a project. However, when there isn't time to totally devote to one project and focus on completion then at least I can see progress being made. The consistent small progress gives me hope.

Congratulations to CathyS! BWTG on your name change accomplishment!

Congratulations to Twins! I'm thrilled with your success in Pro-Gen training. POTB!

Nancy - I have a laminator but don't use it very often. I bought it because most of the homeschool forum members consider it a necessary tool. Maybe if I was homeschooling more than one child I would find a use for it. With only one child we don't need things laminated. I find it easier and quicker to just put the paper into a clear sheet protector.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:19 am

I'm up and have finished tea and chocolate.

My primary computer is in use for a project for dh so I'm using the treadmill computer, moved to the dining table. The treadmill is currently unusable because the pram is on it. The pram is there because where it was in the living room now has the love seat. It's previous home was also where the loveseat sat for July/Aug/Sep but now that space is filled with excess dining chairs. My electronic piano is also not yet set up again either. The joy of apartment living - sort of a live tetris. In a house things go to the basement or garage or shed. Here they just move from room to room!
Ta Da:

I have opened all the mail (3 days' worth) and that is ready to be acted upon. The WM flyer has the deep fryer we need on sale at $30 less than the lowest on-line price I've found so that's been added to my goals for the day list.

Ta Da:

Outlined my expectations for the day. I think we'll have supper out. It is a very busy evening. Anniversary of arrival party with the NFs from 6 -7, AGM of TEMBO from 7 - 9. So eating out was always in the cards, but I think I'll choose something in the WM plaza and add that errand while we have the car out anyway.

Ta Da:

I found an interesting time-tracking method for Bullet Journals yesterday so am playing around with that today. It took about 20 hours for me to figure out how to make it work with my layout.

Not a Ta Da from yesterday.

I downloaded OneNote to my new phone (since there's room for apps) and looked at an online tutorial. I didn't make it through the introduction without my body reacting negatively. I just don't understand the jargon so I'll remove it.

With BuJo online tutorial, I could immediately see how it would work for me and how easy it is to change my methods even within one week. With an electronic planner version I can't. Three big problems:

1. To learn anything, I need to see a big picture first, but I don't understand the big picture of the electronic planners. (I think this is why Tai Chi didn't work for me either, the teacher was feeding me only micro movements at a time and I couldn't see how they would all work together.)

2. Along with my seeing 'big picture', I need more information than either my computer screen or my phone screen can give me. For example: My weekly spread, at one glance shows a 7 day calendar, my goals for the week, divided up by my roles in life, and then my daily 'lists'. As well, a step and water tracker. And all these things are visible while I'm working on my computer since they are on paper beside me. So when I finish one computer task, I can move directly to the next without a distraction stop in-between. Anytime, I alt-tab between items I have an opportunity to go badly off-task!

3. I can change methods within a week. Some days I literally write out my to-do list with time of day next to it. Other days it is just a bullet list and I check things off or put the arrow in as a good bullet journal item and rewrite the item for the next day. Other days I literally cross out Wednesday and write in Thursday. That way, I get to start the new day with the one or two items done from the previous day already crossed off! No electronic planner will handle that switching list methods up within a week as easily if at all.

4. With a BuJo I can look over past information stored in past journals while having the current section open in my current journal so both are visible at once. The downside, of course, is if I'm traveling I won't have access to old journals, but anything I think I'll need in the future is transferred between journals.

I guess this adds up to a ta-da from yesterday - I've accepted my planning style and am not trying to force myself into a system that doesn't work for me.

The super just visited to check out yesterday's window leaks. He's also going to look at getting us a bigger locker because he has 18 empty ones at the moment so he could move us to something larger and still have the same number! He has a great big one but it is up a few steps so won't work for us - we put too much into it that is heavy so moved to the locker via a hand cart.

I'm still not s2s so that will be my next focus. It is lovely and cool here (outside temp was 50 overnight) so I'm enjoying being in my fluffy robe with the cool air around me.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:25 am

Apologies for major edits to my previous post. Three times!

Now to eat breakfast, then s2s.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am

A Ta-Da is my favorite, LadyM, definitely! :lol: However... ... when considering 5x5 type or what will fit on a card, I benefit greatly from To-Do. I had just posted in Cardfile Central that I looked at some recent books on efficiency and one was on making To-Dos actually happen, lol. Don't know that I would buy anything like that, but interesting.

Nancy, when my local print shop guy wouldn't laminate my pressed flower bookmarks, I bought an inexpensive Scotch brand laminator from tar get in order to make them. I love it. I understand his concerns. Little precious (to me) floral things with lots of pieces inside that might not all be held down well were a lot of responsibility PLUS what if little bits fell off into his large equipment. But with just me, in a quiet house (and nobody opening doors, lol) it's no problem. I love the feel of a laminated bookmark in a book. Super thin as opposed to cloth ones (which I also love) and you can be so creative. Here's the problem... ... I have so many great ideas I can't possibly do all of them, and keep collecting these great ideas and supplies! :lol:

I have dreaded emails today. Some are not really my responsibility, but will be over faster if I do it. Others who should be doing it are 1) clueless, 2) irritable, and 3) easier to make disappear using the magic wand of work I've already finished, so there's nothing else to talk about. I'm concentrating on spending more time how I want, and less time interacting with with crazy-making people.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:33 am

tadas - recently and from today

visited dd.
cards and $$ for dgks
visited sister
home
repair person to see stove
search stoves online. a sale finished today.
appointment
store to purchase stove. negotiated the online price. delivery - maybe a week plus.
shopping center
beach walk -
home
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:50 am

And I'm here this morning!

Ta das:
-started laundry
-kitchen counters cleared
-kitchen table cleared some... took care of stray papers, still have Rosh Hashanah stuff to put away (disposables, lap trays to wash and put away)
-called assisted living to let them know dcousin and I will be there for lunch with dmom today
-decided to leave downtown library trip for tomorrow and talked with dd about "helping" her with Torah portion practice (I'll be reading from transliteration, not the hebrew obviously.)
-responded to temple's invitation to "sit on the bima" i.e. the pulpit on Friday night at services

I have been trying to get in a day or afternoon at the dt library and can't seem to get the time "reserved" for myself. Part of it is that I ordered several microfilms and wasn't good about noting what I had ordered and what I wanted from them. Some I know about but otherwise I need to reconstruct. :roll: So I'm hoping for tomorrow for some work in that direction.

-s2s
-walk ddog
-breakfast and meds/vitamins
-reboot laundry?
-make the bed

and .....out the door.

Nice job, Harriet! I can completely identify!
and less time interacting with with crazy-making people.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:25 am

treadmill is currently unusable because the pram is on it
:lol: Usually I hear of them being used as a clothes rack.

I'm up and finally dressed, bed made, meds and breakfast done. Just finishing my coffee. Then I will do my 'short' project from yesterday. Never got to it. I will name another project for today. Little by little I'm getting through things we've brought down from the storage unit. Very little kept. Some are things I have to put back in the unit as they belong to dgs24 and dgd22. Maybe someday they'll have a place of their own and we can pass them on. Mostly things for dgd that belonged to dShelley. Never would have given these things to them while living with their father. They all would have ended in the landfill, no doubt there! Right now dgd is staying with ddil-R's mom (she has alzheimers) and dgs is living at present in xsonil's camper in their driveway. What does that say about the relationship. (x has a 3 bedroom home). No clue what's going to happen with dgs with cold weather upon us. Sure there's going to be drama there very soon.

Slept great until 2am. Then was awake till about 6:30 and fell asleep until the phone rang about 8:50. Now I'm waiting for the laundry room to be empty. Right now there's 2 people down there and there's only 4 washers/4 dryers. I can wait. That'll be my project this afternoon.

It's quite cool here too, Kathryn. RV was only 63 when I got up. Think temp just went up to 60 outside. It's a jeans and long sleeve shirt day.

Off to do my project -from yesterday>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:26 am

good morning
it is always a joy to be here with you!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 am

But first.......I just have to vent over my displeasure with the new H ulu app on R oku. I wanted to watch a show only to find that H ulu has completely changed and I had a horrible time navigating it. Will try again later today, but given my present frame of mind, may very well end up cancelling it. So there! :|
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Return to “Post When You Can”