Tackling Tuesday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
lucylee

Re: Tackling Tuesday

Postby lucylee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:37 pm

Oh, (((Lilac))) -- LOTS of (((BIG HUGS))) and prayers for you. It's just a no-good option kind of decision, isn't it? BUT -- maybe the implant will heal quickly and this will all be just a memory before you know it!

Also wanted to send (((BIG HUGS))) to Kathryn w/the situation w/dgs & his parents. * sigh * Here, we do see dgrands a LOT... but we do a LOT of spur of the minute babysitting. Today, we expected dgd to be here maybe an hour. Then, when their meeting at school was over, ds called to say the lady had asked them to come back around 1:00/1:30 pm... and he and ddil wanted to get something to eat... and it was already around 10:30... so should he come get dgd or just let her stay till he got through with the afternoon meeting? Well, of course I told him to let her stay. I hoped she would take a nap, but no... that was NOT in her plan. ;)
Tomorrow, he gives lessons at 11:30, 3:00, and 5:00... so it is certainly not worth anyone's time for him to be picking her up and dropping her off again.
And Thursday, they have no babysitter after he leaves around 11:00 a.m., so we'll be it again then.
But of course, I wouldn't change a thing.

:!: The meeting today DID confirm that dgs has "High Functioning Autism." Apparently the only change to his school routine will be that now he will go to the sp ed room once or twice (I guess?) a week to work on social skills and coping skills -- for his emotional outbursts. Observer agreed that he is extremely intelligent, and sp ed teacher seems confident that she can work with him and help him learn to adapt better and mix with others better. DS said they will be filling out papers for a 504, so I'll know more later about specific accommodations they may be making, but I think ddil & ds really want accommodations to be used ONLY when ABSOLUTELY necessary. They look at it as a sort of safety net as he progresses into higher grades, more than something he needs right now. His teacher right now is very good and very understanding, while still maintaining high standards, I think. But -- as we all know, and I don't mind saying so, even if I am a retired public school teacher -- there is always the chance that somewhere down the road, there will be a teacher who is NOT good with dealing with differences and is NOT understanding. Always good to have this legal document to pull out and say, as dmom put it, "No he is not just a spoiled brat, he really does have a problem with this situation."

Elizabeth... what a strange situation. I like Kathryn's approach. Find out if the wife knows and tell him you WILL tell her if he doesn't. You are the PERFECT person to approach this with him, b/c you have been in (possibly) the same situation as his wife, and it is VERY unfair of him to think YOU would become an accomplice in helping him cover up the other woman.
Of course, if the wife IS already aware and it is a happy threesome... I'm like Harmony... Ewwwww...
I think I'd want to just quietly exit myself from their circle. That's just toooo Out There for me.

BIG WTG, Sadie, on your babysteps and the success you're seeing! I do envy you!!!
I am trying... focusing right now on just exercise and breakfast/vitamins/Bible reading.
Today, I'm batting .500. Managed the exercise & breakfast... but nooo... not so quick with the vitamins and Bible.
When dgd is here, she wants to eat Cheerios all day... and that would be FINE. Except I end up sitting at the table with her, eating them too. And I like to sprinkle sugar on mine.
:oops:
Plus, I didn't s2s till after 3:00 pm!

(((Cathy))) Hopefully there will be no more tears on either side!

I've been tackled by this day, I guess.
I did manage to wash 3 loads of clothes -- 3rd load is in the washer right now, waiting to be hung to dry.
I walked 1.2 miles w/dgd in her stroller.
I talked to dmom on phone.
I ran some errands w/dh --
-- grocery store
-- bank
-- drug store
-- fish supper
* Y'all, we are living dangerously today! Had fried fish/shrimp & French fries for supper... and we are going to a movie in a bit. Dbil gave me a F andango card so we're using it tonight. DH did not need the fish supper, but he's really been doing well the last week or so, and as he said, we've passed up this meal several times, and we both love it. (Various groups set up in grocery store parking lot and sell plates as a fundraiser every couple months or so.)
Tomorrow is another day.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:12 pm

I got a fixture for the sewing room light hoping we can replace it soon this weekend I hope. Wdnt to knitting meeting it was a good one the loud mouth one that says I was talking was not there again yea 5 were there it was good to touch base and catch up. I dropped off donations glad to gave that stuff out If my hair. Yea.

I got diner to go so that works, went to the store and got meat for the rest of the week.

Dil said thst she would take wedding cake tier supports etc and store them at their place so that will go next I brought it upstairs and need to get it bagged up and out to the rig.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 pm

We ended up eating at home. So I haven't let the apartment. Dh even took the garbage out.

We had grilled bacon, cheese and onion sandwiches. With fresh tomato and I had cucumbers and carrots and a small helping of popcorn. Dh had the larger share of the popcorn and only the one veg. We watched The Saint over dinner.

The movie wasn't engrossing so I worked on setting up my next bullet journal. The journal I use doesn't have numbered pages so I had to go through and number the 190 pages. I've set up and filled in the Future Log, and wrote in the recurring bills (monthly and annual) on the last page. I have a month to slowly transfer the other information that is going to be saved.

Before dinner I tested the accounting software. I keep getting warnings from the publisher saying Windows updates will corrupt the program and data. I don't see how. This latest email mentioned Windows 10. I can believe that, lots of things didn't work with Windows 10. But I haven't changed my operating system, I've just done the security updates. Anyway, I'm working on finishing off year-end and then I'll do another backup.

Once the computer is mended, I'll start doing the data entry for this year. I'm assuming the computer will be good for at least another year. Then I'll worry about buying new software although there's a way to do the accounting without having a dual currency mode and that brings the price down by over half. The special deal is $555 which doesn't sound special to me and their terrorizing me with these emails (it has been going on for a year) really annoys me and makes me want to turn to another software package but I don't want to bother to learn something new.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Posting without catching up on all posts, sorry.

Elizabeth, so the man says his wife "sort of knows". That is very telling. If she really knew, he would have said, "she knows", but he didn't. Also if she really knew, why didn't she tell you, since she was right there in your presence rather than emailing. Sounds closer to "I haven't actually TOLD her but she may be starting to guess". Sounds cowardly to me, and as though it is inviting an emotional scene or fight, which could happen in your house, with you catching some of the upset.

Cathy and Sunny, happy birthday to each of you!

I have been tackled by Monday-Tuesday blitz.

Just today got Decluttered Home October thread up. Our own Desk Day required soon.

HRH decided that ahead of our trip we had to get both vehicles serviced. I was not prepared for that time strain and it knocked me off my schedule. The car is still in the shop because they are very slack and neglected to call early enough for us to pick up today.

Lesson was very hard to teach because it was heavy on the translation and language. I tried hard with it, but in the end it was probably my least favorite to teach yet. The attendance was excellent. Got a funny feeling from one of the participants that has bugged me since - don't know exactly what caused that. Just insincere in asking me questions about personal things, being impatient, and her presence seemed to dampen the enthusiasm of others who usually are very chatty. Strange. The lady who leads the group itself (as opposed to whoever teaches) was so sad today over the LV headlines that she could hardly continue at one point while welcoming us, tearful. So, wow, what a day.

I had to nap this afternoon and feel into too deep a sleep without nourishment since breakfast. Since then, I've made a big stir-fry with tofu and do feel better, but the usual energy hasn't come back.

While I napped, HRH had to take the call that dfirstmil has been very unwell. Sigh. He said maybe he should have wakened me but didn't have the heart for it. Before I fell off to sleep I got the month wrong in answering a question and he knew I was tired.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:21 pm

>>>swooning with Joy <<<<<< and feeling better because I got to CUOP. That probably doesn't make sense but ya''ll are my go-to sanity keepers. I feel disconnected when I can't read your thoughts and doings. My name is LM and I'm a SHE addict. :D

Sadie - Thank you for that suggestion! I had planned to read The Railway Children book after Swiss Family. I wonder how it compares to the Boxcar Children? I don't think I knew the two existed. I probably heard of them both but assumed the Railway and Boxcar were the same. I wonder if both are rated for the same age group or one is recommended first. So many things that make me curious to research and so little time.

Today doings (what I can remember) -
** DGD6 here at 6:30am - fed, listen to her read book and then delivered her to school at 7:45am
** Homeschool Day #65 with DS9
** Took DS9 to speech therapy in city.
** Took DS9 to get his flu shot. Sooooo Thankful he isn't afraid of shots anymore. No Tears. Although I do admit to bribing him. :roll:
** Visited with DGS23. He gave his final answer about rehab. No. He won't do it.
** Visited with DD about sending DGS23 to Georgia to live near his bio Mom. Anything is better than what he is currently doing. At least the winter is warmer in Georgia than here if he wants to continue being homeless.
** Got DGD6 from school. Did school snack, listen to her read 2 books. She is an amazing reader for her age. Monitored DS9 and DGD6 while they played
** Ran errands with DH. Paid 4 bills for the church. DH doesn't mail the checks but delivers them personally.
** Went to WW meeting. I stayed the same which I consider a miracle. No one would believe how much I have eaten this past week. My emotions have been on a roller coaster and it showed up in my lack of good food choices. Pie and cinnamon rolls, mexican food, chips & dip, plus eating out half dozen times. I expected to see at least a 4 lb gain so I am THRILLED to stay the same as last weigh in.
** Went to DMom's and picked up DS9 (he stayed there while we went to WW meeting)
** home to cook hamburgers for dinner. As we finished eating the alarm for kids bath went off. So that is underway.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:29 pm

I've finally got the answer of where to call to get the computer serviced so that will be done tomorrow. I have an onsite service plan so I don't have to leave the apartment unless I choose to.

I don't know what to tell the service people - the computer is dodgy with connectors on the left hand side. There are two USB slots and the video and each work sometimes but not always. So far HDMI and the slow charging USB on the right hand side work. Plus I've had a number of blues screen of deaths.

Must look up the photo I've taken of one of them.

Dd put up the birthday photos at last.

LadyM: I read the synopsis of Swallows and Amazons yesterday and was pleased that the girls had a bigger role than I recalled. You'll have to get over the youngest being called Titty but it is good practice that not everyone has names that we are familiar with.

Here's another series for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Famou ... vel_series)

Enid Blyton wrote what were probably my favourite childhood reading - The Mallory Towers and The Twins at St. Clares series (set at boarding schools.) I've read and reread those books and the girls in them were my friends, just as Trixie Beldon and Honey Wheeler were. I didn't have a lot of friends IRL. Interestingly, you guys are also my friends but I only read about your adventures. Hmmmm.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:56 pm

LadyMaverick ~ The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner is an older series that have been checked out so many times from our library that the books are falling apart. The books remain popular enough that we are in the process of replacing the entire series with new copies.

The Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborn is also still popular here, and for some kids it's an easy way to learn about different eras in history and other countries.

If DS likes learning about real people, there is a newish set of nonfiction for young readers that our young patrons love, called Who Was ... (name) and Who Is ...

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Sadie wrote,
After caring for people through the years,(and was very happy to do so) I find this is the time to care for my home.

YES, that's exactly where I am now.
I cuop for the past couple of days and saw the mention that we've been in this online village for 10 years. TEN YEARS! I looked around my house and got very upset that I haven't made progress. I thought surely in 10 years DH and I should be living in a decluttered, nicely decorated house. Every time I've done a clearing & cleaning project, the space has quickly reverted back to a major mess.

However, I didn't realize how through the years much of my time has been swallowed by volunteer work for others. It's only since I retired from the library volunteers board and stopped doing major projects for them this summer, that the time I've gained back from participating in just that 1 group has let me make a little bit of progress on our home.

Emptying the upstairs powder room cabinet and counter which I described in our Declutter Thread earlier today is a project that I couldn't have done a year ago, but it was easy this week.
The situation is getting better.

I'm glad that I've done so much volunteer work through the years, but now I'm glad that I'm wrapping it up.

I will retire from my sewing group board at the end of this year. I joined that group as a member December 1993 and started on that board January 1994. I've served as needed in every committee. At least half of those years I served elected positions and/or chaired committees that took over 20 hours a week, in addition to my paid job and other volunteer work and family activities. No wonder the house has had chronic Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome!

I have 2 more major projects to do for the sewing group. (1) Sort through and reorganize all of the Treasurer's files (the group started in 1991) before I turn them over to the new person. (2) Do some training with the new person who has never served on our board before. I'm beginning to realize that she also has very limited experience with any sort of bookkeeping, but she's a very smart woman and I think she'll do great once she gets into it. She is a lot of fun and has wonderful energy, so she'll be a terrific addition to that board. She just retired as a high school guidance counselor, she can cope with anything.

My plan is to take a major break from volunteering for 2018, at least 1 full year and maybe a 2nd after that depending on how much help DMom will be needing, and what type of repairs we decide to do to our house.

I'm willing to do small volunteer projects next year -- for example spend 2 or 3 hours setting up the library's big book sale and/or 1 morning working the cash box during the book sale. I'll still do a little sewing for charity. I'm not willing to do any more than that for a long time. If other people think I'm getting selfish in my old age, too bad, I've earned it! :lol:

But will I be really able to stick to that resolve and say no???

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:53 pm

Elizabeth, I guess one question is: if you had it to do all over again, would you have wanted someone to tell you about the X and your "friend"? And do you really want to be in the middle of something like this? Good luck sorting it out.

Dinner turned out very good tonight. Sometimes it doesn't but thankfully, DH eats almost anything I make.

DH called, was taking the customer to store again to pick out replacement light for one he didn't like. I asked him if she would even have noticed that the flood didn't light up the corner she wanted very well and he said no. See, everything he's done for her on this job has been over the top, extra work, and I don't think anything we've done has been appreciated. It just made me mad for him, for us. He wasn't able to come home till almost 8:00 tonight. :evil:

Love reading successes here: Sadie and Booksaver. Here it's more like 1 step forward 1 step backward!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:11 pm

I tackled the year-end entries and they are done. So the old year is converted to the new fiscal year for when I'm ready to do my data entry.

Everyone but ds has weighed in on what they will be bringing to Thanksgiving dinner. We have lots of veggies. Woot! And enough mains. And light on dessert which is a good thing.

And Not The Girlfriend wrote to ask if I still have the wheelchair. Her grandmother is visiting and isn't mobile enough to do all the touristy things so they'll borrow the chair tomorrow so she doesn't have to walk long distances.

So, this was a productive evening. I didn't complete anywhere near my full list but I did make some very real progress. The accounting was one item I've been putting off for weeks.

Booksaver: I'm always on the lookout to match up discrete jobs with people. I started that while in the church, realizing there are people who do not want to organize a supper but are willing to sit at the church for a few hours on Friday morning so people can leave their pies. It is more work to find people for individual tasks but it makes use of those people who don't want to be on a committee or are afraid if they do something one year, they'll have to die before they are excused from that job. I do the same, with varying success, with the residents' association.

Return to “Post When You Can”