Saturday Sabbath

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Saturday Sabbath

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:58 am

The Wikipedia article on Sabbath is fascinating. It is important to remember that Sabbath falls on different days of the weeks for different religious traditions (and sometimes even within the same religion depending on local tradition.)

I'll constantly harp on about taking a day of rest because whether mandated by God or not, it just makes sense. Especially for homemakers and parents of children still at home or those doing elder-care who are "on" 24/7. We need time to reset, restore, and renew ourselves.

One of my favourite lines from Downton Abbey is the Dowager Countess asking "What is a weekend?" The wikipedia article answers that too!

The weekend is that period of the week set aside by custom or law for rest from labor. In many countries it is Saturday and Sunday and often includes Friday night. This five-day workweek arose in America when labor unions attempted to accommodate Jewish Sabbath, beginning at a New England cotton mill and also instituted by Henry Ford in 1926; it became standard in America by about 1940 and spread among English-speaking and European countries to become the international workweek. China adopted it in 1995 and Hong Kong by 2006. India and some other countries follow both the international workweek and a more traditional Saturday half-workday and Sunday weekend. While Indonesia and Lebanon have the international workweek, most Muslim countries count Friday as the weekend, alone or with Thursday (all or half) or Saturday. Some universities permit a three-day weekend from Friday to Sunday. The weekend in Israel, Nepal, and parts of Malaysia, is Friday (all or half) and Saturday. Only the one-day customary or legal weekends are usually called "Sabbath".

So enjoy your weekend. Make part of it a Sabbath, or just a sabbath or just a change from the ordinary to help renew yourself.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Saturday Sabbath

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:05 am

I'm up early.

Got to bed by 10:15 and must have fallen asleep fairly quickly despite all my aches (and I didn't take an ibuprofen in an attempt to see if I could manage without it.)

At 11:30 we were awoken by light hammering. At first I wasn't sure if I dreamed it, or if someone was knocking gently. Then it came up again, 3x while I was awake and it sounded like tapping, followed by sanding or some other working. It was upsetting dh so I told him it was just the ropes for the stage hitting a window. That settled him down. I didn't care one way or another and then fell back asleep.

I woke at 4 for my bathroom trip and again just after 6. At this time I was fully awake so I just got up for the day because it had been 8 hours in bed. Dh is still asleep.

I'm having tea and chocolate and just enjoying the view and my home.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:40 am

Good morning d kathryn!

Good morning all
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:56 am

My house blew up with left out stuff = always happens after I go grocery shopping - it starts with that clutter and then every one lets there clutter join in (including dd younger making her matzo ball soup (she cooks the soup before the matzo balls for 4 hours) fantastique! The whole house smelled homey but the dishes joined all the clutter already there. (I have to work on going to the store early and then put away the stuff that doesn't spoil - just laziness)

yesterday I took dd younger to her dentist then picked up d mom for lunch and ended up on a couple errands instead of what I needed to do. :roll:
I sat then all evening - what was that all about - tv is a bad thing for me. When I was young I always did needle work, art or anything that improved the house. I don't do that now... I need to put my needle point by my chair so it is there at night.

card file
do my day I was supposed to be done yesterday

d mom - i was a bit frustrated with her yesterday - but that is my issue. She has decided not to take the anti depressants that she had taken years ago - Either I or dd older or dd younger have been with her since Sunday; by two days ago she was her self and happy because she was so busy. 4 out of 7 days a week she gets very depressed (missing her family and friends-totally understand that no one from her past is there to share with her the now). She is frightened to take any chance that was normal before. She forgets that depressing feeling when she is constantly busy with others. She loves (loves) talking to strangers not her age and, the last week, we have been in so many places that she had that chance to tell her story over and over - I might need to figure that one out. She won't join things that are with people her own age.
But it is her body so I just have to step back.

Now that I complained :D I can pull my boot straps up again and start my day with a positive outlook! 8-)

My home still smells like Chicken soup. dd younger is a great cook

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:18 am

Breakfast is done. Before that, I sat on the balcony and did yesterday's meditation exercise.

I've also closed my yahoo account. I forgot completely that I had one.

I need to update my passwords on all my other email accounts since they were all linked to yahoo and it has been hacked badly. Dh's aunt being hacked on FB last week was a reminder to all the holes in my online security. It is handy only use variations on one password but it makes one vulnerable as well. The whole point of getting Last Pass was to correct those vulnerabilities but I haven't used that feature yet. Last Pass is working much better with my new phone so that makes changing all passwords to random strings less intimidating (you want something easy to type on a phone especially when you are trying to sign in quickly.)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:38 am

I always forget to update and have been hacked before - good thought d kathryn!

dd older is here and she straightened the kitchen that dd younger cooked in and didn't clean up :D dishes washing in dw and there is tons in the sink but it looks much much better.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:12 am

I was up by 5:30 fed & watered hens, tossed laundry downstairs. My knee flared up so I have it up and and resting it. I am thinking orange rolls from a can for the holidays. Need to put this on the holiday menu. I got hot cocoa mix last week. It snowed in the mtns. This week so that was great timing. Journal is done. I have a bullet journal of my process will ge the basis of a control journal.

This is my 2nd week getting groc. With cleared counters. It was better last week before I worked on other areas to declutter. I will be doing closets when I do zones this go round. Hoping to be decluttered by the first of the year. I need to get jiffy pizza mix, I use it for rolls we get 4 from it great for smaller batches.

I did not do as much stone painting. The kids took the ones I had set aside for them home with em.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:19 am

wonderful on those clean counters and getting up so early to care for the chickens d Nancy. sorry your knee is acting up!

heading out soon for hair dying process. When I had my home cleaned for the summer I gave up getting my hair dyed but now I go again until January - I will dye my hair myself again after New years.

until we meet again - see you soon

I pulled my "out of my comfort zone card" but not sure what I shall tackle next. i have put that card on hold because summer ended; but it is time to really push my boundaries again so that I do not become comfortable with just existing. I want to do something that really makes me feel uncomfortable - socially I think or wear my bathing suit to gym pool ??? need to think about this one.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:39 am

OK, now I remember why I don't bother updating things. I have over 100 log-ins to update! I spent about 30 minutes on Twitter and it is now up-to-date and accurate. The log-in from Last Pass was actually wrong and it took a while to get into the account. I also printed off my paper copy of log-ins and I will reconcile the two eventually. That will be a long term project.

I reconnected with What's App and my refugees. My new phone didn't automatically bring over their contact info and I got it from dh (again) but still hadn't set up the connection so that's been done. They come in less than a month. And the family of 6 also touched base with me today and sent a cute picture of the kids playing in the back of their van so I forwarded that to the group. It is important to remember these are real people instead of just names and stats.

I still haven't s2s so that's next on my to-do list.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:17 am

I skipped the p m routine last nite so I had a bit more to do this morning. I had to move my table loom out of the m bedroom I could not make the bed so I just did that. I have my sheets in the wash, got the washer & dryer wiped off.

Next up I need to move my tall rolling stand in the creativity room and work on some of the stacked up books from the rolling cart switch. I spiffed up the counters in the bathrooms. Knee is limbered up and better now.

Rethinking the orange rolls dil is alergic to cinnamon, thought of breakfast pizza but dil does not eat pork. So still contemplating options. Chocolate crinkle cookie with cake mix was awesome. Just remembered that Dgd is off gluten. Sigh ... putting on my thinking cap. Put away Christmas cups with holiday baking dish.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Post When You Can”