Hit the Ground Running Thursday PWYC

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Hit the Ground Running Thursday PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:17 am

Dee needs to hit the ground running today.

So do I.

So today's thread is now open so you can either join us, or make some popcorn and sit back and watch us succeed today!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Hit the Ground Running Thursday PWYC

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:40 am

So, yesterday I learned we get the apartment for the refugees as of November 1. After letting us know they had an apartment for December 1 and failing to tell us they'd lost it, this means our planning and time-lines have been thrown out the window.

The positives: it is a one bedroom with balcony and this one is $60 more than the last one but for that it has a kitchen rather than a kitchenette. And the kitchen appears to have a window which means it is on the side of the building and therefore they can get cross-breezes at times. This is a very, very, good thing.

We have 14 days between getting keys and handing it over. This is nice and manageable, especially when I'm herding cats (which is how committee work feels to me.)

We'll be presenting W & R with a finished apartment on November 15 (well mostly finished, it may not have a bed) and thus they won't be able to refuse the items donated - this can be an issue, not all are as gracious as the NFs, who came with nothing and were grateful for what they had and didn't replace the bulk of it as other refugee families have been known to do. (see below*)

The negatives aren't really important, it is mainly that the apartment isn't handy to my neighbourhood and I have to cross downtown to get to it so commutes will be really long at certain times of the day.

CM is in charge of gathering stuff for the apartment and is currently away, dealing with a parental health crisis (and they don't speak English well) so she phoned last night and we talked for an hour and drew up a plan of action. I emailed that off last night to all who needed to see it, and am now using it as my blueprint for the next few days to put things in place. Getting the load of furniture out of my apartment is my #2 priority (getting the apartment cleaned is the first priority, someone is leaving after only a month and they had a cat so I'm a bit worried about why they are leaving so soon and how much of a mess the cat made.)

I'm still finishing up the RA work I have for this week. I have some more stuff to print off and more signs to make. Plus I need to put the new lock on the locker and while I'm over there I'll inventory our disposable cups and plates situation. Then I'll be ready to hand everything over to the building reps and won't have to do anything except host Halloween in our lobby for a few hours on Tuesday and then keep an eye on the prep for Sunday the 5th, when we are holding a potluck party in the other building.

I still have to vacuum and mop the floors as well.

All this needs to be done today so I'm ready for tomorrow and Saturday when I'll just be flying from one event to another. Sunday I'll take off completely and work on health pushing myself on walking so the Holter monitor can track what my heart is doing when I feel heavy chest discomfort.

*For example: November 16, a family of 4 who are friends the NFs made in the Turkish refugee camp are arriving in Ottawa, having waited out the year with their sponsorship group and fleeing to Ottawa. They were settled in rural Vancouver Island with no other Syrians and few middle-eastern people within a 100 miles but they were also unhappy from moment one, according to their sponsorship group, turning up their noses at the fully furnished home, right down to the toys for their children and jobs that were beneath them. So they are coming, and apparently have decided moving into a homeless shelter here is better than staying there.

The NFs have mentioned putting them up until they can find a new home. That will be interesting! Each of us on the NFs sponsoring committee have been approached about helping out this new family. We've all decided to stand firm and be pleasant and offer little things (for instance I'll have more stuff with which to outfit a kitchen than I'll need and am willing to share with them if they want it) but we will not co-sign leases or drive these people around to appointments. They are not our responsibility. Neither are the NFs anymore; we do any help with them out of friendship, not requirement since our formal sponsorship agreement has ended.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 am

oh you do not want to see me run :D 8-)

good morning d kathryn
I am praying for your d refugee friends and for you having to go across town to help.

Good morning to each and everyone of you :D :D :D

I had a wonderful time with my creative afternoon yesterday! I couldn't have an entire afternoon because d younger dog was in pain. dd younger and I took her to the vet and it turns out that she has a bit of hip dysplasia and arthritis in her back. Something the day before must have caused her back and hips to inflame. No cheap venture but now she is supposed to rest for 2 weeks before she stored water therapy... lol how do you tell a lab/shepherd to relax :shock: :D (so much for savings)

Thursday - this is my hopeful day :D
October 26, 2017
HEAVY CLEANING DAY
kitchen focus pantries and cabinets
3:00 (leave at 2:30) hair cut appointment
Sandwich and soup day (salad)
(do in am otherwise I do not clean up after myself) paper plate night

I haven't had french lessons in almost 2 months and I have not been doing my daily french lessons on a regular basis, so I need to put aside time during the day instead of night time. I get tired at night. ;)

Much love to all of you during your day.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:23 am

cards pulled
I didn't put dw on or clean the sink or counters last night so I was stuck with it this morning (what happened to the elves I heard about through Brownies, as a child, that came and cleaned the house while everyone was sleeping. They must have been at someone else's house.

so dishwasher is working

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:40 am

bw2, I need to be practicing tai chi. I can't learn it by showing up once a week - would take a very long time that way! Need to consult with

Sorry that Kathryn is "herding cats." Committees are sometimes like that!

Just called to let staff at assisted living know that I'm bringing my cousin to have lunch with dmom today. I need to pick dcousin up at 11:15. After I get her back home I need to go for groceries, since the tire business meant I didn't do that yesterday. Quiet day otherwise....

-breakfast and meds
-walk the ddog
-get dressed
-kitchen clean up
-make bed

Going to try a frittata for supper tonight - it's an AH recipe, I have mushrooms and peppers left over from omelets last week that will go in. Maybe some socca and fruit.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:45 am

I am up sheets are in dryer washer has darks in it. Waiting for day lite to fed hens. ddog h I have had bfast. I slept well. Waving to all. Good luck w french lessons blessed.

Kit. Looks great yea, Glad for my progress this week. Toe is better. I need hen food need to get that soon.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:53 am

Hi!

Today I have no plans to go anywhere or do anything. If I get anything done today, I will consider that a bonus.

That being said, garbage and recycling are out. Garbage just got picked up around 20 minutes ago. I am fully dressed to shoes. It is in the single digits here. (6 Celcius which is in the 40's F.)

I have actually tidied the living room. I can't make the bed yet because the cat is sleeping on top of dh's blanket.

Supper will be pork chops in a mushroom gravy, 2 acorn squash for dh, baked in the oven. Because the oven will be on, I will also bake potatoes.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:34 am

Sitting here slightly paralyzed. I have enough information to move forward but am now feeling the heavy weight of overwhelmedness.

I've s2s, bedroom is tidy and a load of laundry is running. Had short-lived trouble with the hot water in the shower (due to the water being off yesterday) but not as bad as some times. It just started out hot, got cool then went back to hot. Eventually there will be steady hot water at the tap but our bathrooms don't have that for the 24 - 48 hours after a water shut off. All the radiators are noisy too as the water returns to them (although they never lost heat and it should be a closed loop system.)

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:51 am

good for you on Tai chi! lol I am there with you regarding needing to do this regularly. :D
I showed up for yoga (that was funny) twice and thought I could keep doing it at home without any teacher/class support... I bought heavy set yoga and do it once a month ;) - it's amazing how I think I should be a yoga expert by now when I only do it once a month!

d twins, I hope you have a nice lunch with d mom and d cousin! So nice that she wants to spend time with your d mom and so nice of you to pick her up!

take a wee break - have some tea and know that it will get done a bit at a time... it's hard when too much information and responsibility hits one all at once.

hi d cathy wishing you a wonderful

hi d nancy happy for your progress this week as well

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:53 am

mom will be here in a bit... she is coming to help with my pantry but she is a very strong person... I will have to accept that the criticism is in her mind is to help me learn ;) it's done with good intentions.

well at least it will get done.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Post When You Can”