SATURDAY SITUATIONS

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harmony

Re: SATURDAY SITUATIONS

Postby Harmony » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:40 pm

I guess my rugs will have to stay in the shape they're in. Or I'll have to get DH to look at the shampooer and see what's the matter. I think it doesn't spit out the soap any more.

Vacuum - I use a canister. Pain in the rump to take the floor head off and the electric to the beater bar and set up the attachments. Also a pain to change the filters and bag. DH wants to buy one of those rechargeable ones. They look like a hand-held dust buster on a long pole to me and rechargeable batteries always wear out.

I have a little sweeper, doesn't vacuum (suck) but has a beater bar that goes around. It's good for a quick pick up. It's rechargeable. Bissell. I had a similar one, a shark that I liked better. I used that one for years and it finally died. Automatic broom kind of. Got mine at BB&Beyond.

When I post that I swept the floor, I'm using the little one. When I say I vacuumed I dragged out the big one and did the job "right".

Hung out the throw rugs. Checked yesterday's laundry but it was still a bit damp so I couldn't do the other LOL I wanted to, no place to hang.

I worked on the refrigerator next. Food to the freezer. Dinner out to thaw. My bedroom is next. It's a wreck in there.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:45 pm

I need to pull out my vacuum and do the job 'right' now. With the table, side tables, chairs and love seat gone from the living room and dining room, I can now get in to certain corners and vacuum. As well, the living room windows desperately need to be cleaned so I'll get that done.

They are dirty on the outside too but there's flypaper gunk on the inside, plus the insides of dozens of flies where I killed them against the glass.

At the moment, the apartment feels awfully empty, I had got used to the space being filled with the other furniture. On the other hand, the space in the dining room will be filled up when I put my electric piano keyboard back. It has been stored between a desk and the wall for 4.5 months now.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Upright Hoover purchased for the cost/value. Not going to brag. Saved money, yes. Reasonable help. The last in a line of vacs I wouldn't brag on, although the Oreck canister lasted longest. Dstepdil who has spent so many years as a pro recommends Dyson. Once upon a time, when I was a teen, my dmother bought a Filter Queen canister very like this one, and never had to get another vacuum for the rest of her life. Somebody explain that to me.... ... we just don't live in that world any more I guess.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:14 pm

I clean my floors almost daily (4-6 times a week). Vacuums are too slow and frustrate me so I tend to ignore the vacuums and use a quicker way to get the job done. I use a leaf blower to move the dirt from under/behind furniture and then a dust mop because this method is 10 times faster and easier. Please don't kick me out of this group for being weird. Once or twice a week I'll mop all the floors in the house. The kitchen usually gets mopped more often. IMHO it depends on how clean you want to keep your floors (do they have little kids crawling around on them?) and what type of material is on your floor. Having hard floors gives more options for cleaning. The number of people, kids, and furkids in the home makes a difference in cleaning needs.

I was planning on going hiking today but had diarrhea last night so opted to stay home. The last thing I want to experience in the middle of a hike is using a shrub as a makeshift bathroom. NO THANK YOU!

I am going to experiment cooking an old fashion type Sunday meal. It is similar to holiday meal but on a smaller scale. I want the meal to be ready to serve when we get home from church. Because I'm not used to cooking like this, I am having to think through each step. Tomorrow's Sunday meal will be Ham with pineapple glaze, Broccoli & rice casserole, Mashed potatoes, Corn, Hot Rolls, Deviled eggs, Cucumber salad, Green salad with cherry tomatoes & mixed bell peppers. Pumpkin cake will be dessert. That is 5 hot dishes and 3 cold dishes to plan/prep. My plan is to have the 5 hot dishes in the oven during church. I want the cold dishes to be ready so can just pull out of the refrigerator and serve. Hum.....back to planning and prep.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

helia

Postby helia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:17 pm

Beautiful but cold day here! I managed a 7 mile jog this morning/early afternoon. My pace and stamina have really suffered over the last couple of weeks, due to my anemia, I'm guessing. I won't share details, but yes, I'm taking iron and have even increased my dosage. I was just glad that I could accomplish 7 miles. Now, I've had some lunch, have s2s-ed, and am falling asleep in my chair. LOL! I feel like I'm becoming an old person.

I believe our vacuum is a dyson.
I've used shrubbery as emergency restrooms on hikes before, LadyM. Not my finest moments, but when nature calls. . . .

Dh and I have reservations at our favorite downtown restaurant, an Asian Fusion place owned by a friend of ours from church, a Chinese man who grew up in Vietnam before emigrating to the US. His wife is Korean American. Their 5 (!) kids are beautiful.

In the few hours left in this afternoon, I'm going to make progress with the laundry, perhaps work on fall yard clean up, and definitely finish the a.m. routine -- kitchen and bedroom need some attention. I might just succumb to a nap as well. *yawn*

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:26 pm

Bissell upright canister vac here. No bags to change. I bought it after someone here recommended it years ago. I use microfiber cloths on a swiffer for hard floors.

Dropped off recycling today and picked up specials from 2 stores. Now I remember why Saturday is not the day to do that! Watched a movie from library--Table 19. It was surprisingly good for a movie that we had never heard of until I noticed it at library.

Dh is getting up leaves with the mower, so I must go help, I guess.
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

helia

Postby helia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:10 pm

OK, I was wrong. Not a dyson - our vacuum is an electrolux, some sort of canister version.
How many people will you be feeding, LadyM? That sounds like a lot of food.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:54 pm

My Mom had an Electrolux forever, Helia. It was the best vacuum cleaner. One of my fondest (?) memories of her was the day before my wedding she was cleaning with it upstairs and decided to come down the stairs cleaning. Bad choice -she ended up tangled and fell all the way down the stairs. All our wedding pictures show her with crutches, but at least all she ended up with was a very sprained ankle. But let me tell you, that vacuum could clean circles around any others.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:02 pm

I have a cannister Miele. I like it way more than my last one because it carries around the attachments. And the cord retracts. But because I only have 2 small area rugs, I don't have an electric beater bar on it. It does well but not fantastic.

My old tank (an obscure industrial one I can't recall the name of) which I bought well-used and had for over a decade was easy to repair but expensive. The suction in it was amazing until it wasn't and a new motor was the same price as the Miele. And it was really heavy so I love my light Miele. I decided to upgrade after I couldn't afford to repair my old one any more. On the other hand, I don't think this one will last 10 years let alone decades as my father's Electrolux did. My Sears ones were pretty good but the later ones were less reliable and now Sears is dead in Canada so repairs will be impossible. Extended warranties are no longer honoured.

I got the cleaning done that I wanted to get done although there's some tidying left to do. I got the ironing finished (I started it this morning) and I got my service finished and printed off. Practices a couple of the songs with dh.

Now it is time for dinner and then to the theatre. We missed a nap and we both desperately needed one. I hope we don't fall asleep in the theatre. It is Arsenic and Old Lace so I don't imagine we will.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Had yesterday off but came down with the stomach virus Thur night that is running through the school... no pun intended. Been living on salteen crackers and tea... still feelings my yucky.

I have a dyson which I love. Prior to that a Hoover, and before that a canister from sears. Only own three vacuums in forty years... my sears lasted almost 20 years and my Hoover upright close to 20 as well. We’lol
See about my dyson... easy to run cleans great and no bag to replace. Great picking up dog hair on furniture as well.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Post When You Can”