Thursday Thanksgiving

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
blessedw2

Re: Thursday Thanksgiving

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:42 am

have fun at your 5k d lady. praying for your d brothers healing!

hi d lilac good morning - hope you feel better!

hi d cathy hope this cold drops out of sight today!

hi d lynn sweet dreams!

hi d kathryn - have a good meeting!

waving at d book and d dee!!!

Happy day to everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving to all in the states. I was so happy to get a happy thanksgiving note from my cousin in the UK - So thoughtful.

feeling a bit guilty about relative - I have thanksgiving at dearest sis in laws where she has about 30 people and I never invite relative - I know who she is and her d would put make fun of dd's separately to their cousins but I still feel bad that I never mentioned what I do and don't invite her. i know she has not been the best but she is still family. But I can't invite her to already a large crowd and problems that would occur for dd's would not be worth it but I still feel horribly guilty. It is what it is.

I am putting off what I need to do - when I feel pressure I tend to put off what I really need to do.... ok I didn't cook yesterday so I have to do everything this morning - breath in and pull cards for recipes and cooking etc. I can do it ;) positive - one baby step at a time!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:58 am

Cathy, I hope you soon begin to feel better.

I'm thankful that a long-awaited returned phone call last evening from a grandmother finally brought our Angel Tree child total up to 22. The family lives in a different town from the one we were told, farther away, so it does mess up dstepson's dispatching - maybe he'll look at that for me today.

Besides gratitude for physically finding 3 more little girls, 22 will seem a lot better than 19, closer to what we've done in other years, and the tree won't look bare, our church family won't feel they should hold back from reaching for paper angels. So, whew.

So then I got on all the before-tree final work. The paper angels are all made out, the list by age is completed, and the record-keeping notebook is ready for people to write in their information on Sunday.

HRH and dd19 are wondering what they should "watch" me for. I didn't awaken with pain this morning. They ask about the sore throat but it never reappeared and I haven't felt weak since, so I believe whatever it was was fought off. As long as whatever "bug" it was didn't go through toddlerC's family, we're cool.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:13 am

how is your shin d harriet - are you still in pain? hope not!

glad you were able to get 22 children on your angel tree.

The potato casseroles are in the oven and I even cleaned up everything from that procedure :D
dishwasher from last night and this morning is working itself into a nice clean.
Now for Alsatian carrot salad - onions cut, parsley washed, pull out my food processor,
Next:
cut the bacon and start cooking it for the carrot salad
cut the parsley up
shred the carrots
make the dijon french dressing for the carrot salad.
pull containers and put in shopping bag for leftovers after dinner/also plastic bags

then acorn squash by donal skehan
Last edited by blessedw2 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:14 am

It's only 10am and I think we have things pretty ready -at least as much as we can. DD had an aha moment and sliced the turkey and ham and put them in foil wrap and put them in the roaster pan to warm up for the next few hours. (with a little water in the bottom).

I called dsisil to let her know we planned dinner for 1:30/2 ish. Also wanted to give her a heads up about dsonil losing his job nearly 2 weeks ago. Didn't figure they knew and they didn't. Also wanted to update her that his dsis had emergency surgery Monday night.

I can just veg out now I think. We gave ourselves till 11am (any job has the capacity to fill the time allotted to it). And I think we've done as much as we can. She was trying to rub out T's name off the back of one of the kitchen chairs. T had put her name on it a long time ago evidently with a permanent marker of some kind and it was etched into the wood. We're using that chair in our office usually but want to find chair back covers for those 2 chairs.

Doing any dishes here too, blessedw2, as we go.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:19 am

LadyM, that is wonderful to hear that your db is handling the chemo so well. Also, was relieved to hear that your dsisil is there for your db. That would have been heartbreaking to watch if she had turned her back on him, when he needs her most.

Blessed, please don't worry about that relative. If she had not of pulled so many mean tricks on your dds and you, plus abused your dm financially, it might be a different story. As it is, she wrote this story.

Dh excitedly told me that G ame S top has all these games for cheap prices through the 26th. So I told him to make a list and that is what he is doing. I think I will have dd1 order all of them on the list. Then she can pay for what she wants to give him and I will give him the rest.

Better go put the chocolate peanut butter dessert together and clean up that mess. Then I will be done except for the noodles.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:38 am

I know you are right d lilac - but I still feel bad but I know the reality of this relative - she is super friendly and chats away but then the reality of her comes out sooner than later. D bro is waiting for her to be caught at something by the government but she plays well in front of others and not behind the scenes. He said it's best for her to continue falling on her franny to help her in the future. I have always struggled with the person I meet and then find out things that aren't comfortably honest.

So happy you have ideas for your dh and even better that he is so excited and on sale - always nice!

Hi d dee yay on having things pretty ready!!! great idea from your dd. I love doing dishes with you!

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:13 pm

I have washed and dried dishes 3 different times this morning. It seems like most things I needed except for silverware were hand wash items. I am glad I did it in 3 batches because if I would have waited I would have had a real mess.

Feeling better. For a while, I was wondering if dh would have to go by himself and take the food with him. I am taking an assortment of plastic containers for leftovers or to send home something with someone. The last time we were at dd1s for dgd21's surprise birthday party, dd1 sent food over to other dgd21 because the baby was too little to bring plus she sent stuff home with dgd21s boyfriends mom. She told them to keep or throw away the containers because they were getting old anyway. So I don't want her sending any of her new containers home and not getting them back.

The noodles are on, so I better iron my clothes and take a shower.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:16 pm

I was up in the nite 3ish ate 1 slice apple cranberry pie so that was an easy fix. Had a shower then back to bed till 5. Fed hens. Swept leaves off steps & drive way. Not time to start cooking yet. We had a rain shower.

Harriet hope you are doing okay today.
Pop turkey roast pan in oven in a bit.
Then make rolls. Ready for oven.
So glad I did so much ahead yea me!

Happy Turkey Thursday!
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norma

Postby Norma » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Happy Thanksgiving

blessedw2 - are you sure you aren't "born organized"? You seems to really have it all together. :lol: :)

All I have to do today is get ready to go to dinner with Rose, Sweetie and their neighbors - whom we really like. It should be fun.

Mr. Guy and I will have our turkey dinner on Saturday with left overs on Sunday. We always have to have "our own" turkey no matter what. Hope you all have a very wonderful day and long weekend which will be full to overflowing with football. :roll: :lol:
I go to nature to be soothed and healed , and to have my senses put in order. John Burroughs

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Back from my meeting. We have a plan forward but no reconciliation. Sigh....

They are angry that the church had a patron who was willing to backstop the fundraising and when it wasn't needed, didn't donate. They feel he should donate (it is $20,000) so they can use the money to bring in yet another family.

I'm not sure I even want to take that to the patron.

The patron wasn't about sponsoring a refugee; his motivation was to ask the church what their passion and mission would be if there was no worry about money. Basically checking if the church still had a pulse. He was willing to donate to the church if it would use the money for something other than life support.

It has been 18 months since the full funds were raised, in that time the patron would have probably released the money to another charity. Yet this group feels we should hold the patron to account and get him to donate to their next refugee family.

BTW: they've started the process with the next family. They had not shared that with us (at least now I know where the money they raised in their big fundraiser went and why they aren't turning it over to the funds for the refugees the funds were raised for.)

At least we have a plan for moving forward.

Return to “Post When You Can”