Thursday Top Priority

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harriet

Re: Thursday Top Priority

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:25 pm

~~~E-N-E-R-G-Y ~~~ vibes going out from here, too!

Will it help if I've done something?

Since the "priority one" -

TaDas -
towels washing folded
whites washing spinning
healthy but carbonation-infected lunch :roll:

Desk Day TaDas -
labels printed for church return address
labels printed for Angel Tree books
all labels cut/separated and stored
Thanksgiving offering form filled out, deposit ready
scan and email sent of our own forms
requested 2nd photo-card from ddil - received already

Next Up -
watching and waiting for delivery person - trying hard to see and interact this time!

Twins - are you planting pansies now?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Twins: I need my SAD light too. Haven't pulled it out yet, will do that this afternoon.

Home from the hearing (and lunch.)

Hmmmmm.

It was not quite what we expected. The lawyer wasn't there for to consult before our hearing, that's just for evictions. So we had no legal advice. We sat for ages waiting because we were there so early.

I introduced L to S who works in law but not tenant law. He had been instrumental with the last two rent increases so I wanted L to have some background as I thought she was pinning too much of her argument on a fallacy. They talked for a good long time.

The mean guy was there, boldly taking a seat at a table at the front and setting up his laptop. His partner in crime was PITA from last year's process. The guy never stops talking, dragging every point out. Mean guy had about 1/3 of the tenants' proxies. I had 10, there were about 20 other people there although some of them had also given mean guy their proxies.

A mediator was sent in first. I asked my questions and got my answers and immediately when I posed a question based on those answers I was shouted down as wrong. Eventually, they set aside their preconceived notions (that I was wrong) and heard the mediator saying I was right. My questions were around what happens to the tenants who were unrepresented at the meeting.

We agreed to try and negotiate, the landlord's lawyer came in and said he would not consider an offer unless we were all in agreement. The number being requested was 3.27% and he would accept 2.8% in one year or 1.5% for each of two years. We asked if he would consider 1.4% for each of 2 years and he said he would consider it only if we were unanimous.

L had come prepared for the hearing and would not agree to the offer. People were really upset at her and applying all kinds of pressure. I had sat next to her between her and the rest of the people which meant I became a psychological shield for her. At one point she whispered "are you ok with the offer?" and I said I was but if she wasn't happy with it she shouldn't listen to me. I was not there to guide her but to be an ally. I didn't speak in favour or against the offer.

People told her she was financially responsible for all the extra rent people would have to pay. Our buildings have a group home for mentally challenged adults and one of those called for her to be evicted because she was making it too expensive for him to live in his home. So it was a very charged environment.

The mediator said, the hearing would proceed and in between the mediator and the adjudicator, we had a few minutes and I stretched my legs and explained to the mentally challenged person that if we lost, his rent would be $6 a month more than if we had taken the offer and since he shares his apartment with 2 others, that means his rent will go up one extra McDonald's coffee a month. He loves his coffee and he immediately felt better and thanked me for explaining it to him. (He's on the board of the RA so I know him well and have the patience to include him since he has brilliant ideas for us from time to time so I want him a part of the group.)

The hearing started. Mean guy wanted to make a statement and start questioning the expenses but the adjudicator shut him down and proceeded with the landlord's lawyer staring on page one (there are 943 pages to go through!)

We got to page 110 before challenged the 'expert' witness (the garage repairs foreman) was allowed. We never got any further. The lawyer had another case for 1 p.m. so we adjourned the hearing at 12:45 and will resume in February or March or April.

Mr. PITA took another run at trying to convince L to give up the fight and just accept the settlement after. I had to pee and was starving but stayed at her side in the lobby so she wasn't alone with this guy.

She went to a medical clinic after and I grabbed a bus home but had lunch from the hot food counter of the healthy grocery store.

I walked home as fast as I could. Rain had started but I think it is freezing rain judging from the horns below me. I was just 3 long blocks from home but only had inside boots on so was glad I didn't have far to walk. I'm having a Zevia now and thinking through the day and how I will report it to the RA.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:29 pm

Trying to figure out how long to cook hb patty in foil in ip. 20 for frozen I need thawed time.
Sigh library did not have the cook book from costco but I requested it so it will be coming...

Yea h is geeling better.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:37 pm

i'll take that energy!!! look at those ta da's d harriet!

I finished the front room/living room: floors hand washed after vacuuming, music stands cleaned, piano cleaned, moved furniture and washed underneath
managed clutter, dusted, cleaned glass table, cleaned window trim

next kitchen - I should do front hall but I need to make dinner and really clean that room.

I have Christmas in Connecticut on while I work.

Tomorrow, God willing, is the Christmas Carol
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Friday on my mind.
Stayed up :roll: late last night.
Tmeds
Put on load of washing. Possibly over optimistic. Currently there is some blue sky, and passing sunshine just passed. Super quick cycle so I'll see if I can get it hung out. Hoping I have enough door frames if I need to do the quick dash retrieval and indoor drying.
I'm not sure if agency person is coming today.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Nancy - Sometimes I do a google search to find out how long to cook things in Instant Pot. I suspect each instant pot size might have a different setting for food. To hard boil eggs, I put a dozen eggs into mesh basket and set it in the instant pot with a cup of water. I use the manual setting for 7 minutes. When it is finished I manually release the steam and remove the basket of eggs and put them into cold water (ice cubes) for about 5 minutes. They come out perfectly and are super easy to peel.

I am ready for a break. All "must do's" are done for the day.

I finally received the test results from the mandatory state test that DS9 took in April. His test results show unsatisfactory/below standard in 7 out of 9 tests. I'm not surprised at the result. I already knew DS9 struggles and have implemented a multi-year study to help him improve. I don't find it a comfort that 35% of the children in the state scored in this category.

The school speech pathologist told me today that DS9 will come off of the speech IEP in January. Once that is gone then there is nothing to tie us to the public school.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:49 pm

passing showers and sunshine glimmers happen momentarily here. 3 items plus underwear are hanging under the veranda on drying racks. The rest is filling 3 bedroom doorframes. If I get overly optimist again I can take the hanging things out.
I think the changeability will drive me bonkers if I follow the clouds and showers too closely.

chicken stock is smelling up the house atm. It does make a difference to the taste of my dinner so the only question will be storing it. How much to freeze, etc.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks for the support guys. This is a great place. I actually accomplished some things once I got out of the house.
ta das:
-groceries (not all put away yet...but dd was talking talking)
-picked up a script for myself
-got my flu shot. It's been on my mind for awhile but hadn't gotten around to it.
-got pansies for the planters (the summer asparagus fern and geraniums aren't completely dead)
-decided that the Tar-jay tree for dmom at three feet is too tall for her room and I will return it
-went to Hob Lob for a two foot tree better suited for her room, since they didn't have any that size that were wired with lights, I got some battery powered lights to go on it

Dh is home already, after he told me he would be later tonight. I just never know....
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:37 pm

LadyM, how much is not being still long enough to test, and how much is not knowing the material?
His test results show unsatisfactory/below standard in 7 out of 9 tests.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:39 pm

I did 7 min. On egg and let it natural release, egg was fine but not so easy to peel I did the cold water bath afterwards.

Figure 5 to 7 min. For hb patty.

Not having very good luck w google searching. Sigh.

Return to “Post When You Can”