Finish up Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Finish up Friday

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:32 pm

Did she by any chance watch "Land Before Time"? One of my favorite little guys said those two phrases for a very long time: "Yep, yep, yep" and "Nope, nope, nope". We still refer to him as the kid with that vocabulary. He's now living in OK and has a babe of his own. How time flies.

I just emptied another box from the garage. Surprises. This one was laden with new manila folders and manila envelopes. I now have them put away. 1 box a day will 'get 'er done' (at some point). Then we can organize the garage. Know dd has been dreading this job but slowly that space is getting emptied. We're NOT bringing in boxes and setting them around -just one at a time.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Finally got here, distractions all handled.

I've finished up a bunch of stuff. Mostly paper. Yesterday's work and trips out finished up another bunch. It's funny, but I've been getting up about 2 hours earlier for a while now and starting right in to work, and still there isn't enough time to finish everything. The work is expanding to fill the time slots.

Get 'er done is considered a red neck expression down here in the south!

Checks to the mail box in time. Birthday card for DGS too. No package this time, just sent a check. No time to shop and he's 16 and probably has a million uses for this check.

I need to sit here and learn how to do some stuff on this computer. Learn how to scan. Look at my spreadsheets. I've been hiding from them. Last night I came back here to shut down the computer for the night, and tried to get it off sleep and nothing would happen. Checked everything. Finally called the people we bought the extended warranty from and they were no help at all, but for the first year I was supposed to call the manufacture. Finally did that and a helpful person who spoke great english (thank goodness) had me power down and remove electric cord and reboot and all is well. A bunch of stuff came up that I didn't understand and I tried to read it to him and he said something about it looked like computer needed to update...not windows, the computer - which makes no sense to me, but at least for now all is well. I hope this doesn't happen again.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Wednesday was errand day. I hit Sam's (found everything on my list plus a bonus for me - a new purse! :) ), wm (didn't have anything on my list :( ) and Aldi. I was surprised how crowded all the stores were on a Wednesday afternoon.

Wednesday night I watched a PBS program about the attack on Pearl Harbor. Very emotional.

Yesterday was a work day, a good one.

Both nights I was able to spend a little time at the sewing machine. I fixed 2 knit tops for oldest DSis; she thought the necklines were too low so I added inserts to make them higher.

Today I'm going up to DMom's to take her out to lunch. I want to shop at 2 stores in her city to see they have the things I couldn't find Wednesday.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Opened an extra box from the garage. This time it was all my "G ooseberry" cookbooks. Brought them all in and they're put away. One at a time and I'll "get 'er done". :D It was funny yesterday because dsonil was asking dd if she perhaps knew where the box of odds 'n ends dishes he had (and I was supposed to put on Ebay a long time ago) was. Uh, yes, I did (she did not btw), because I had just seen that box and opened it yesterday. Someone wanted a cup & saucer he had from Queen Elizabeth's coronation in '53. I remember being home that day and watching it. Probably one of the times I had rheumatic fever. I washed the cup set for him last night.

Just finished putting away all the clean dishes from the drainer and was going to wash dishes but there's only 3 pieces so I'll wait till later today. DD and dsonil are going to her staff Christmas party this evening and we're going out to dinner so there might not be many. Going to have leftovers from trivia last night. We had $100 for our team to spend. Then we were first place (very much to our surprise). Our leader had just said the most we could hope for was 104 points and figured it was out of the running -especially since we missed 4 questions of the last round of 5 (the 'double down round'). Much to our surprise: 3rd was 100, 2nd 102 and first our 104. We couldn't stop laughing.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

AustinGranny
Registered

Postby AustinGranny » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Yes, it really did snow in Austin, TX, last night. Accumulation was less than an inch.
But there was ice on our streets so:
1/2 the area schools are closed and the other 1/2 started on a 2 hour delay (including UT),
some businesses are closed.
We had the usual accidents caused by fools who don't know how to drive (or to not drive) on ice.
We who have lived in the north stay home and laugh.
Why do we stay home, you ask? Because we know 4 wheel drive or a pickup truck will not stop on a dime on ice and we prefer not to be victims of the others who don't.

Right now, 11:30a.m., it's bright and sunny and almost 40° headed for the mid 50s.
Forecast for Monday: 70°

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:41 pm

We are getting a little snow here - was predicted to stay south of us but has turned in our direction a bit. Probably not much, if any, accumulation. I did one drop off and came on home, tho.

I am going to treat myself and nap.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Dee, I love the G ooseberry P atch cookbooks and have amassed a collection. A shiver ran through me when I read of your broken leg and other torn apart leg/ankle. Yikes.

I awoke to dh feeling my head to see if I was alive and clammy due to low bs. He said it's 10:00. Was he kidding, NO. I can't believe I slept that long but I must have needed it.

I need to take my ring to the jewelry store for it's 6 month cleaning and checkup. I have to do that for the warranty. I dread that because the jewelry store will be busy and I will have to wait forever in line to leave it and again to pick it up. Since I got up so late, I will only be going to WM for groceries. That is if I ever get around. Better hit it.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:49 pm

Just seen on FB that Houston got snow. I know snow in AustinGranny's area is rare but wow Houston, too.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Lunch time = Break time for me.

The first 6 hours of my day have been productive and 99% drama free. Breakfast was wonderful and the kids have played well together. It is too cold to play outdoors this morning so I pulled out the Lincoln Logs and they enjoyed building with them.

LynLee - Thank you so much for the links and research. I just feel overwhelmed each time I stop long enough to think about all the chemicals and sugar that affects the brain. It seems overwhelming to look at the big picture. And who should we believe? Even the experts disagree. And I totally believe there are some corrupt information put out by companies that want to make a profit. How to dig through all the information and find the truth? One of the links showed that salicylates was the culprit in 75% of the cases. That means giving up fruit and vegetables?!! Argh. I'm old enough to remember when "they" told us that smoking cigarette was good for us because it was relaxing. The Marboro Man was in the ads telling us how to relax with a cigerette. OBVIOUSLY there is a lack of knowledge exactly what is good and bad for us. I do not believe fruit and vegetables are bad for us.....especially if they are organic.

By 1968, tobacco giant Philip Morris had launched Virginia Slims, which played upon both the ‘feminine’ appearance of the thinner-than-normal cigarettes and the continuing belief that smoking helped you slim.
And in the 1970s, when more than half of young women smoked, magazines often featured cigarette adverts promoted with offers of saving stamps towards ‘free gifts’ of household goods – so women could feel they were providing for their families while smoking.

WOW! I wonder what we will look back on in a few decades and wonder how could we not know it was so bad for us?
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Hi everyone! My get 'er done is the table decorations for church on Sunday. Very little left to find, assembly will not be hard. Next in line is adding more ugly to the Christmas sweater for wear at payroll on Wednesday.

I had the darndest time finding the clinic yesterday, but once I go there was told no infection (yeah), yes irritation (boo). I was "prescribed" an OTC ear oil that contains garlic and mullein. Used it and it worked nicely. Unfortunately, it also spilled in my purse (leather but cheap), which had to be relegated to the outside trash can. I am stuck with a tote bag right now and must get that changed. It is payday, so at least I can. I need a wallet that does not drop my drivers license also.

Because I had to make 6 dozen cookies for tonight's exchange, DD and I stayed home. She finished her homework first (at least so she says), then went on to the Harry Potter fan fiction. Briggs is now making up for lost time at the food bowl (oink!) and Stratton only yowled once last night and was quickly answered by his buddy. I have gotten all the dance class videos, but now realize I will be out of town that day. Of course, I will be enjoying Mardi Gras, so it is not too bad.

Tonight's orders of business: church cookie exchange and bills and budget. I'm not really a huge cookie eater, preferring crackers, but I like the social aspect. I'm not really much of a desert person at all, my sugar comes in tea. I can take anything I don't want to next week's animal org Christmas party.

Speaking of sugar, I have an idea for the 86 year old grandmothers described by LadyMaverick. There is no way to stop them from wanting to cook special treats for their loved ones. It goes against their nature. However, it is certainly possible to suggest treats he likes better! My xMIL baked pies for any son or daughter-in-law she saw near their birthday. Except me. She learned that what I really liked, more than any desert on the planet is turkey and dressing with gravy. So guess what I got! Totally filled the cooking need and I enjoyed it immensely.

Return to “Post When You Can”