Finish up Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Re: Finish up Friday

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:34 pm

I have regrouped for the afternoon. I'm going to start the bread machine on a timer so I can go out. The pet shelter where I wanted to take stuff has closed early, tho. I'm going to the grocery (always iffy on a snow day in the south - it will be a zoo) and then go by and visit dmom. When I get home I'll start soup for the evening and continue the challah, and mix up the choc bourbon balls. They have to chill awhile before getting rolled in chopped pecans.

Bw2, here's the link to the recipe. I haven't tried it before but wanted something fairly easy. To continue the sugar discussion, dark chocolate doesn't have much sugar - the "Always hungry?" WOE suggests it as a non sugary treat suggesting at least 70%.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:16 pm

A shiver ran through me when I read of your broken leg and other torn apart leg/ankle. Yikes.
Oh that was a winter to remember. In May of '78 I was still on crutches and was working to teach myself to walk again. One problem was that in their (Christmas) rush they set my leg/ankle wrong and I ended up with 'drop foot'. I couldn't put any weight on either leg -if I did on the right I was told it would end up breaking apart badly. It was an interesting time. I do remember dh and our dks setting our TV to channel 10 -we had no remotes then and leaving the bed pan by the couch so they could go to work/school. Dh hooked up a CB radio by the couch for me so I could reach someone if I had to. Didn't have cell phones then either. TMI I'm sure. :?

I had expected my 'early' fill for my thyroid meds would be here by today. Notta. Called W algreens again as my dr's office had faxed them an order for 90 days instead of 14. Got a message it was too early to fill so I figured my xpress script was on its way. Evidently not. Talked with pharmacist today as I'm about out. She tried putting it through as the 14-day emergency supply and insurance still wouldn't do it. So she told me I could pay cash for the 14 days which I did -$11.99- and it's ready for pick up. I sure wish I'd come across that other bottle of tablets but it doesn't seem to be anywhere around here. Can't figure out what happened with express scripts though so I may have to go through them again tomorrow.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:41 pm

quick hi - today for some reason I have depression because I am not doing enough compared to when I had to care for others before late winter 2017 - brother stopped by and I got the reminder that I should not be having a landscaper otherwise it's bad for my finances - I know he's right but dh can not do the yard anymore (cancer and chemo was too much for his body) and the fall leaves are a killer on us because of the large yard and all the trees. I am not ready to move yet. I guess I have to take that on but having the landscapers has been wonderful. dd younger spoke to dh and I afterward and said it is too hard for dh and me at this point - My brother doesn't care but wants to make sure we have money in our future. I think he's right but I know the fall is too much for me physically unless I do it daily. Dh definitely can't do it. So lots to think about before signing new contract. It will have to be a daily job. I will see where I can skimp somewhere else to keep the service. I will look at my budget.

So trying not to be pulled down by the temporary depression and get back to work. I am not lazy but scattered right now and feeling a little blue
okay dokey - I can sit in depression and wallow in self pity but that won't get anything done.

brother left a couple hours ago and our insurance is taken care (knock on wood) ;)
it is always a joy to be here with you!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Blessed, if you could afford it before dbro made his remarks, then you can still afford it. I wouldn’t be too influenced by other people’s opinions. This sounds like my d?uncle.

Headed to college town. No snow at home, but here — south of Birmingham — it is BEAUTIFUL! Roads are still okay, but everything looks like s Christmas card!
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:50 pm

ARGH! I can't keep all the balls in the air. My juggling ability needs some tweaking.

DMom called to tell me she was home. :oops: :oops: I asked her "Where did you go?" She said, "I left you a voice message telling you that I was going to the grocery store two hours ago." ARGH! I didn't hear my phone ring so I am aggravated with myself. I don't remember laying my phone down but I must of at some point. DMom is supposed to be able to get hold of me at all times. I always have text messages and tend to respond to those in groups when I take a break. If I took more frequent breaks or respond to text messages as they come in, then I would have seen DMom's voice message.

I would have as much success telling a wall to not be flat as I would telling DMom to stop baking banana bread. It's what she does. She used to bake cookies and pies but her hands shaking so much (Parkinsonism) makes cooking those difficult. So all that pie and cookie baking is funneled into banana bread baking. 5-15 loaves a week is normal for her. The produce guy at the local grocery store calls DMom on the phone to let her know he has bagged the banana's for her that ready for bread baking. DMom gives all those loaves of banana bread away. Family, friends, doctor office, mail person, neighbors, total strangers, etc - everyone gets banana bread.

I know 100000% sure DMIL is in the process of baking cookies to give away for Christmas. 100's of cookies. Several kinds of cookies. That is what she does. Each day leading up to Christmas she bakes a different kind of cookie. She assembles beautiful platters of cookies to give away.

Both of our 86 year old DMom's (DMom & DMIL) still live alone and cling to their routines and independence. They are set in their ways.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:24 pm

LOL. What an adventure we are having. Had to turn back about 40 miles out of College Town! Icy bridge between two steep hills — no one wanted to try it. Poor dh has been driving all this time. I told him I’d take over when we got back to clearer roads. Not TOO bad right now but I tend to have a heavier foot than dh, so we’ll let him keep it slow till it’s safer. Moving about 45-50 mph now.
Tomorrow is another day.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:05 pm

Oh LL! Safe travels! Does your state have deicing or sanding equipment for the icy roads?

Friday Night homemade pizza just came out of the oven. I'm letting mine cool a bit before eating. I can usually get a good idea of how good the crust is going to be by the feel of the dough when I roll it out. If my "feeling" is correct this pizza is going to be one of my best ever.

DS9 wanted to buy $6 of coins to use in a video game (minecraft). He didn't ask me for the money but instead he asked how he could earn the money. He used our shop vac to clean out the SUV and now he and DGD6 is happily spending his coins.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Very little road prep/deicing, LadM. But we are out of the worst of it now. Stopped for supper at a place we’ve been meaning to try for awhile. It’s all good, LOL.
Tomorrow is another day.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:39 pm

Lady M: Does ds want to come vacuum out my car? This could be a big business for us SHEs. It's too cold to go through a car wash where I usually use the vacuum, and there are a lot of leaves tracked into my car.

This has been a pretty successful afternoon. Snow has stopped with no accumulation and I got to the grocery and to see dmom. We can't find the remaining hearing aid again. She is not concerned as "it will turn up."

Here at home I have mixed up the bourbon ball stuff and it is chilling. Very rich, as you might imagine. I told ds I would roll a few in unsweet cocoa instead of pecans so he can partake, but 2 - 3 dozen go to the exchange anyway. I think I should have maybe 4 dozen total so there won't be a lot for family here. :shock:

Dd went to services this evening - she will go out to eat with the rabbi and an Israeli educator and others after services. (She did a school visit this a.m. with the Israeli educator group.) The temple prez and rabbi are talking to her next week about going full time with some changes in job description. I am hoping it all works out.

Dh went on to services as well. There's soup and challah when he comes in.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:55 pm

Home from the curling. Had an excellent visit with our niece.

Thankfully, at this point in the match, the round robin, there are 4 games simultaneously. It makes it hard to watch the action but alternatively, when the people you go to watch don't perform, it makes it a bit less disappointing since you have something to watch instead. The team competing against Team Epping today decided that since today's game meant nothing they'd go out drinking last night and so were curling very I had paid $120 to see them play and Team Epping won when the other team conceded the game after only 7 ends (30% of the game unplayed.) Yes they were losing 7 - 2 but it was selfish of them to throw in the towel.

This team is the reigning Olympic Gold team (2014.) The 2006 Gold winners were beat by Team Epping in the first match but they are now in contention for the playoffs on Sunday. Team Epping went on to lose every other match except this afternoon's but I won't know if they won it or the other team lost it.

I feel cheated because these professional athletes forgot that they are responsible to do their best at all times in front of a paying audience.

Drinking is a huge part of the culture of this sport (and part of the reason why dh and I have never been interested in it.) I thought that was mostly at the lower levels but apparently I was wrong. This team has lowered the prestige of the sport in my mind.

We didn't get to spend time with dniece's fiance (he went back to the hotel with his team but I'll grant him exhaustion, they played two games today.) Dniece came with us to the 'after-party' place for curlers and fans and we met some of her friends before begging off and going out for a quieter dinner. We did enjoy watching the women's team battling for the final playoff spot since their game was very exciting and went to an extra end.

We put the stuff in ds's locker and are in for the night. I have a ton of email to deal with.

Return to “Post When You Can”