MONDAY MANTRA

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: MONDAY MANTRA

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:31 pm

Payroll not today that is fine. I need to go fed hens and put the roosts back up did that. Store run went well except I forgot 2 things pasta & tomato sauce. I can use pizza sauce instead and get those items tomorrow.

Got 2 sm. Pans to fit in the insta pot or oven on a bunt pan thinking I will do up 2 cakes for dgson & h. Cookies need to be baked. But waiting till the end of the week so I do not eat em 1st! LOL. Cookie dough mixed up 3 kinds. Going to try hand pies w meat in em 1st time tonite.

Walked dog.
I can get going on the home blessing hr.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:21 pm

I have really just taken the day off today and that is fine. I went back to bed this morning and took a major nap that was perhaps needed. DD and I went to see Star Wars this afternoon and she reminded me that we can just order pizza tonight instead of cooking.

So I'm feeling mostly human again.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:11 pm

I got the local cards that need to go out today done. Dh a TEMBO task so we drove to the post office (and I got the cards mailed 4 minutes before pickup!), picked up the computer part for TEMBO from someone's home, circled back to pick up pizza and I hit the grocery store there and got won ton wraps and cereal for nuts & bolts so some of the Christmas prep groceries have been bought. They had turkey on sale so I picked up one of those as well, although my local store has halal ones so I'm headed there tomorrow to get one, if not for Christmas, then for just any-old time I want to have my Muslim friends over. Both are frozen so I need to add that into my calculations.

I still have more cards to do, but these are the invites to people who live in the buildings so not as much deadline.

Next up: tidy the kitchen and then pick an outstanding task (the last of the cards or any of my paperwork tasks.)

It is snowing steadily and yet we managed to get all our tasks done in just over 40 minutes despite it being rush hour in a snow storm. We were going counter flow at first and then we were able to stay on side streets until we got to the store. But even the main roads had very little traffic. I suspect people were heading to malls to do shopping.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:31 pm

This slow computer is driving me nuts. I don't know why I chose today to do a lot of computer work, but it is on my mind with the end of the year looming. I try to get everything in so that I don't have a lot of outstanding checks out at the end. Those make a bit of work for me.

So I got 4th quarter work done, Dec. month end done, and annual report done. Not easy because every form I had to print out took forever. I closed out my cash account this evening.

Okay, so in the interest of honesty...what I'm really doing is procrastinating on all that baking. It will be a lot on my feet and my back will be in tough shape from all that. My family and the kids actually ask for these each year. It's the only hand-made stuff they get at Christmas. Somehow I became the designated baker. :roll:

DGS was on the phone and texting with me quite a bit today. He was stuck at his job filling in for the receptionist who was out on vacation. So 8 hours sitting at a desk answering the phone. He said he was so bored. Said he'd rather be out with grandpa working! At least he has a job.

Maybe tomorrow I'll get to the real job at hand after I go pick up truck tags and go to the bank.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:42 pm

Home from Christmas play at the school. The kids were fun to watch.

Tomorrow is another full day.

** 6:15am - 7pm DGD6 care. This is the last day of school before Christmas break starts. I'll need to pick her up from school an hour early because we have to be in other places.
** 8:00am - 2pm DH and I are tag teaming to take care of Linda. One of us will be with DS9 and DGD6 and the other one will stay at Linda's house with her. If Linda doesn't need physical help (going to the bathroom, etc) then DH will stay with her while I do the kids stuff. If Linda does need another female with her then I'll stay and DH will take the kids.
** 12:15 - 2:30pm DS9 has his LAST APPOINTMENT with the speech pathologist in the city. I've got a Thank You gift ready for DS9 to give her.
** 5:00 - 6:30pm WW meeting
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:51 pm

Happy Birthday ellyphant!

lucylee, dd19 made homemade marbled-paper index cards today using the shaving cream and food coloring method. (about the first minute-and-a-half of this tutorial video) Easy and cheap. You have to be sparing with the color if you want to write over the areas of color. She made some 3 x 5s for me that are just one color over the white of the card, and I think I can write plenty. She pressed them under a paper towel with books on top for a while afterward to make sure they would still lie flat.

Desk Day work, then errands today, just trying to keep up. 2 had to go to locations to be on-time bills - long story about not getting mail on time at church. Dd rode along, then we went to Subway and I had a headache pill with meal (sigh). Then shopping - mostly grocery, but some odds and ends.

Yesterday:
My computer was not turned on at all yesterday. So unusual, but the day was beyond busy. We had 3 (4?) sets of company, 8 people right through the time of the caroling for church, so no, I couldn't have done that at all. dsecondbil and little niece, dstepson, ds and children, and then while ds was still here dfirstsisil called and she and dh wanted to come by and bring things! (We had all said no gifts no party this year!!!) Sure enough, a tall sack of wrapped gifts, plus money for all children, plate of homemade cookies - good grief! HRH said just let it go - we were abiding by what we understood and were doing our best, had no idea. As Barney Fife would say, she just beats all.

And the theme of the day, for me, seemed to be that the house was just not straightened up enough. It's pretty bad when your grown son, who hasn't had to help you with your house for well more than a decade, decides to pitch in and help straighten up. :( But that was the mood when he found out his aunt was coming - he actually decided it was important to help me feel better about things! Uuuuuggghhh.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:07 pm

hugs Harriet. Its good that DS could lend a hand.

An unknown helper has straightened up my back veranda. I have my suspicions as to who. Surprising as I suspect it was some days before I went out there to notice the difference.
I think I'm the percipient of a post Ramadam good deed. Giving Thanks.
I'm not saying there is nothing there for me to do now. Piled Stuff still needs a good sorting.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:59 pm

I was offered a ton of furniture today plus another ton of household items. Took pictures, must remember to send them to CM for approval and suggestions.

There were 3 bookcases in the pile and and a fourth turned up in the recycle room today so I can start a second residents' library in the other building as soon as I get permission, plus we have another bookcase to start the video library (a collection was donated to us.)

So I have work to do tomorrow with about that.

I was laying out the last of the items so I could get the last invites out and realize I've sent the building complex invitations to everyone this year. Sigh... It should be OK but the wording is a bit off for outsiders. At least my address and phone number are still on it (but no parking instructions.) Need to print off more of both, some for the file and others to use.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:30 pm

Aw, Harriet. I know the feeling. DGSon today texted me about sizes and I know he was ordering us presents. I feel awfully bad about that because he is a struggling student making $8.00+ an hour for 20 hours a week, with parents helping a lot and a couple little scholarships. I told him we weren't expecting anything from starving college students! I know he bought for his brothers too. Stepping up like a real adult. sigh......

Phone call to Office store tells me they haven't done anything with our computer. Said to check tomorrow morning. :roll:

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:45 am

Hello! Hello!
I know what y'all are thinking... wow... Lucylee told us all about her new outlook on routines and she has just been so busy getting stuff done that she didn't even have time to check in today.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, boy. That's how it was. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah, the truth of it was that I guess my MANTRA for the day has been DO AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.

Not long after I woke up, ds called to see if we could keep dgd while they went to lunch, so they would not have to eat in front of her. (Remember, she is prepping for colonoscopy tomorrow.)
Poor baby, she was just miserable... cried cried cried... but finally let me rock her to sleep and she was still sleeping when ds & ddil returned.
Well, I kinda rocked myself to sleep too. There is just nothing in the world so peaceful as holding a warm sleeping baby and rocking by the light of the Christmas tree.
After they left, I had to take a nap. My eyes have been bothering me all day and it seemed the only peace I could have was when I was asleep.
After that, dgs arrived, and y'all know how the rest of the evening went... Nana this/Nana that...
His usual bedtime is 8:00 pm. Here we are, past 10:00, and I just got him back in bed after his bedtime snack of peanut butter crackers. He is complaining that it is "boring," just laying there watching tv. He won't stay in bed here at all without the tv, so it's a Catch-22.

I feel sooo sorry for dgd... they had to give her an enema a little while ago, and will do another at 3:00 a.m. Then they have a 2-hr drive to doctor, where they have 6:00 a.m. appt for the colonoscopy. I feel pretty sorry for ds & ddil, too.

Thanks for the tip, Harriet, re: the marble-paper cards. I'll have to check that out!

Elizabeth -- I am so glad the Mardi Gras trip plans are improving.

Only a few accomplishments for the day...
-- Paid a bill
-- Called to find out if local restaurant will be open for our usual pick-up on Christmas Eve. (No. Will have to call other restaurant tomorrow.)
-- Talked to dmom

Tomorrow, I have to get dgs to school, attend his class party at 8:15, probably bring him home with me afterwards, and go to post office & drug store.
Then I will have to call dmom & dbil after hearing from ds/ddil re: dgd's test, and will have to call the other restaurant.
Hoping to change sheets and get back on track a little more tomorrow, too, and then tomorrow night is singing at nursing home.

Hope you all have a good night and a good tomorrow.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”