MONDAY MANTRA

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Harmony

Re: MONDAY MANTRA

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Hello everyone. Can you believe this is the last week before Christmas? Yikes!

I still haven't started cookies.

I have all my cookbooks dragged out, stuff all over the place looking for an idea for Christmas Eve dinner. Looking for something I can do most of ahead, something healthy, dairy free, easy. Is there such a thing? DH says do a turkey. "You just put it in the oven and let it bake - oh, and stuff it first." If only it was that easy. Anybody got an idea?

Today I did a big cleanup, wanted to put the Christmas tablecloth on and needed to get that room cleaned up. Went through 2 big files, shredded a bunch, organized the rest, put it in permanent storage. I put a staple through my thumb nail.

I love Polar Express. Great animation! I like the animated version of Scrooge too, is that Disney? For once I thought the animated version was better than the actor one, and amazingly I liked it better than the classic book!

Ok, back to work.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Good morning all! And Happy Birthday Ellyphant! My motto today is "Keep it Moving". This means work steadily, one thing at a time and get 'er done. I survived the party with the x, the other woman, and xBFF. Skippable report will follow. A friend was looking for someone to take a large rabbit hutch. No, I am not getting rabbits, but I have a dog door, and there is now a cat hutch where everyone can sun themselves safely outside. I need to put some protection on the wood (polyurethane probably), but can cover it with a tarp until I get back. They will NOT be using it until I can supervise and make sure my cabinet and closet opening cats will not escape. Despite being custom built for my friends, it looks custom built for me. I just wish I had gotten it before Tiki died. Because my friends delivered it, I did some cleanup in the kitchen and LR in preparation. They didn't come in, but I am glad it got done. Still needs work, but far far better. No DD15 this weekend, she decided to stay at her dad's house to study for finals on today and tomorrow. That freed me up to have dinner and go shopping with traveling companion friend who is staying with xBFF. She just had cataract surgery and cannot drive yet. The two of us decided on dates for me and DD to visit her. She said I could stay longer than a week, but I don't have that much vacation time! This morning I made sure I had enough for the week we chose (I do) and found I can take half a day off tomorrow, which will help my Christmas travel prep.

Some good news - we got $1000 donation at the adoption clinic. Someone is also interested in Briggs & Stratton. She was not able to see Briggs who stayed home sick, but is interested in seeing him when he is better. Stratton thought she was the greatest. Some bad news - Briggs had a nosebleed at midnight last night. In cats, this is often very serious and he is going to the vet today. It is possible that he simply has an irritated nose from sneezing. Even if that is the case, he needs some relief. If it is cardiac in nature, we need to figure out what to do. Bad timing.

Tonight is dance class (no, I don't really have time to go). However, I need to be in that area to pick up Briggs. Also need to get cat litter and some sewing supplies for my Christmas project. There is a mile long list of things I must get done before I leave.

I hope lucylee's dryer issue is a belt rather than bearings.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:21 pm

skippable report of xBFF drama:

At the end of the party, I helped the xBFF clean up so I had a chance to talk to her. I told her simply that my parents didn't like the idea of inviting her and her DD and then having them stay in a hotel. She acted like she had no idea what I was talking about at first, but then said she had not told her boyfriend about it, so I she knew precisely what I meant. She seemed indignant that I had mentioned her plan to my parents, but did she think they wouldn't notice that she was not in their house and turned up with a plus-one for all the events that caught her fancy? Was she planning on spending the days with my parents and the nights with boyfriend? I'm not at all sure. We left it that my parents simply preferred that their guests stay at their house. It would simplify logistics regardless of any "alternative plans".

Then, she told me she didn't think she would have enough money to come anyway. Apparently, she just noticed she is turning 55 in January and likes to spend major birthdays overseas. She has to put the trip together by 22 Dec. I thought it strange that she left it so late, but didn't push it because it was a relief not to deal with her on the Mardi Gras trip. I found out why from my traveling companion friend (TCF). The boyfriend has a trip to Spain in March with an old school friend (male). xBFF wants to go along and boyfriend is proving impervious to her hints. The theory is that if she buys him tickets to go with her on the birthday trip, he will then be "obligated" to take her to Spain. TCF and I think he will be happy to go on an all expenses paid birthday trip, but not feel obligated about Spain. We think she will be broke and miserable in March. (It is guaranteed she will be broke, even if she does not travel, because that is a constant of her life).

I was hoping to talk to the other people going on the Mardi Gras trip. It is seldom that they miss an xBFF party. However, they were at a Special Olympics event. They are nice, non-drama-causing non-trampy people who would never embarrass my family. xBFF said they may not be able to go due to her going back to school. TCF thinks that she may be skipping out because she does not want to deal with boyfriend drama either. I need to talk to her and tell her that the boyfriend stashed in a hotel room was nixed by my dad. It may be that a closer examination of her school schedule allows the trip after all! TCF, DD15, and I are planning on going regardless.

On a side note: the non-drama-causing guest and xBFF and one other person have a business together. All have regular day jobs as well, but are hoping this will eventually become their source of employment. xBFF has decided it would be a good idea to hire boyfriend. I hope the business requires more than one person to make this sort of decision. I know I would NEVER get involved in anything financial with xBFF. She is s a top notch physicist, which is what they need, but her personal life and finances are a wreck. Hope they had a good lawyer putting together all the business paperwork.

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Hi everyone!!

I had the Monday knitting group Christmas party today. There was so much food that I was able to have enough to say I don't need brunch.

I do need to clear all the unused ornaments out of the house so the living room looks nicer.

Dh is cooking perch tonight. No idea what to have with it other than rice.

Laundry is all done and almost all put away other than stuff that was hanging to dry. Dh put his wet facecloth on top of the hangers that I had 2 tops on. I should have moved them last night. I moved the facecloth less than an hour after it landed where it did, which I know wasn't on purpose, so they should be dry and ready to go away by the time I get off of here.

Most of the dishes got done last night as well. I think there is just the roasting pan soaking. One of these days I will figure out how to make crackling with a pork roast.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:54 pm

Hello dishes are washing themselves (I had emptied the dw this morning) :D
counters are clean - the stove was clean already :D
surface vacuumed the kitchen and surface swiffer rinse :D
s2s :D
put away mostly
put my list together for errands - done
tossed things out of fridge

trying to stay away from perfection today - hard as I want to do the perfect christmas gift for d niece - not healthy or productive

hi d Cathy - so happy you had fun and are pleasantly stuffed from your knitting group christmas party - how fun.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:54 pm

hi d harmony - I wish I could come over and have tea or coffee and sample your homemade christmas cookies with our group here. :D yay on your clean up!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:07 pm

I think sweet elizabeth you were more than right to say that she couldn't sleep with her boyfriend at their house. But I do believe, even if your d parents want her to stay there, it is their right to stay at the hotel or go to europe etc. . I am still uncertain why your dear xbff comes to you families home if she is no longer a friend. I think, so sorry, that you may have to let go of her choices as long as they don't stay at your families home. You have to let go of what she chooses to do with her life even if you strongly disagree. My relative does tons of stuff that I don't agree with financially, and it really hurts her family, but if it does not affect my family I step back. Yes sometimes it still bothers me but I am just hurting myself by getting angry at what she does. People have to figure out their own mistakes and if they don't; it is still their life.

unfortunately I have first hand experience with this - it's hard to let go of it when you feel and have been wronged but thinking about her drama and judging it will only make your life stressful. Let her falter on her own. My life is happier (even though I still have her lurking in my mind sometimes) - it's not worth it. You deserve better!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Making progress...
** The top 4 priority Homeschool lessons completed
** Doc appt done.
** Cooked lunch (goulash)
** Took DS9 to school. I am always impressed with his would-be classmates. They always look out for him and make him feel welcomed.
** Attended DGD6 Christmas party. Took pictures and sent to DD

I'm going to take a coffee break and regroup.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:32 pm

blessedw2: You are absolutely right that no one can prevent an adult from staying in a hotel with whoever she wants! However, we don't want that flaunted in front of 3 generations of my family, including minor children. This means, while she is free to do any legal thing, she loses the services of my family arranging her transportation, entertainment, and childcare. She cannot use us as the hired staff for her romantic getaway! She can talk to a travel agent about hotels, rental cars, finding her way around a strange town during Mardi Gras, etc. The reason she was invited to my parent's house is that they had no idea how bad things have become and her daughter is well-loved by my family. My parents thought that xBFF and I were still friends, but seeing less of one another due to my commute and her hours. They did not know about her constant attempts to force me into a friendship with the x and the other woman, or that she prefers their company to mine. They did not know until last week about her drunken advice to DD15. They live four states away. I also tend not to talk about xBFF much, especially to my mom. Mom wants me to rejoin the dating world and would consider a woman my age with a boyfriend to be a good influence.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:44 pm

Making progress but not on the time-sensitive item, the Boxing Day Invites.

Stocking is finished. A photo is here:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5495&p=160009#p160009

If I put it in the wrong place, please let me know.

The sewing stuff and laundry is all cleaned up (did an extra load as well.) Apartment is only half dusted and vacuumed.

Next up, the cards.

Return to “Post When You Can”