Thursday Solstice

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Thursday Solstice

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:08 am

It's the changing of the year. Today is the shortest day of daylight in the North Hemisphere and the longest day in the Southern Hemisphere. We'll start getting more (or less, in the case of Lyn) daylight and the earth is tilting back in the opposite direction.

The solstice shares winter holidays with a lot of cultures - Christianity and Judaism being the two most often recognized. Kwanza, originally from West Africa is also celebrated.

For me, it's to head back toward the light, eventually spring, longer days and more energy.

What will you make of the changing of the year and the tilt of the earth?
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Twins' Mom

Re: Thursday Solstice

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:45 am

So today is my pushed-off to today errand day, following a therapeutic massage. Tonight dd and I will attend the Christmas party at dmom's assisted living. I'm hoping she enjoys it, that i'm not too "peopled out" and that it's not too long. :D

Gotta get ready to roll, I have my list, and brighter days are ahead!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

CathyS

Postby CathyS » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:02 am

Hi!!

I have been up since dh left. I did some stitching. I put the garbage and recycling out. That involved cleaning out the cat litter box which also involved sweeping the bathroom. I have so many little garbage cans in this house. They will all get wiped out at some point today.

I moved all the stuff from the back bench into the garage or the trunk of my car because some of it is going to be donated. I have 2 large bags of burnable stuff and there is very little wind today and the neighbours are both at work.

Dishwasher needs to be emptied. I have a few pots to wash. I also have a bunch of presents to wrap.

I do have one WTF job here today. Toilet inside and out and surrounding floor. I learned a new hack, which is using shaving cream. Quick and easy if you don't use too much shaving cream.
Dishes never stop.
Laundry never stops.
Paper never stops.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:25 am

I'm having a relaxed start to my day. School alarms are turned off.

The only thing on my schedule today is DS9 doctor appointment. This is the last week with two chiropractor adjustments.

We discovered last night that the stash of communion wafers at church is empty. So we need to find some before Sunday.

I have two 50 gallon bags filled with donations to drop off at our local charity.

I woke up this morning with the desire to go roller skating. I might just wear roller skates around the house for an hour or so to get that itch scratched.

DGS21 ask me to cut his hair so that will happen sometime after he gets off work today.

I want to empty, paint and organize the pantry. Including adding several shelves. There will never be time to totally devote to it so I'll have to do it in phases. Starting this project before the holidays doesn't seem wise. I think I'll force myself to wait until after Christmas.

The weather forecast for snow/ice was a bust. The winter storm they thought was going to happen fell apart. I'm not sure what that means to our Plan B. We have already accepted an invitation to spend Christmas Day at another family member home. So we can't return to Plan A for Christmas & DGD7 birthday. I'll check with DSon/DDIL and see what their plans are now. I suspect a Plan C is going to happen. We shall see.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:59 am

Happy Solstice to you all!

I wasn't able to be with you yesterday or really work at the house for the last 4 days but I do think of you all as you work! I really do! Hope all is well; I haven't been able to read everyones posts the last couple days but praying that life is good. I will read back later on.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:10 am

Yesterday we went to the Immigration department to see a dear young friend get sworn in for citizenship. It really was amazing - the staff that ushered people and did the swearing in looked incredibly exhausted. I had hoped they would shake the hands of those who were just newly became citizens but it was just passing out a form. One man, from Uganda, was so so excited that he asked for the official to shake his hand which I guess is not normal. City workers/state workers don't get paid a lot and I know they do so many of these ceremonies but it is important. I assume that they don't get a lot of kudo's for a job well done. They don't realize how important their jobs are for the new citizens. There were 110 people from all over. Truly inspiring how long these people worked to become citizens. Actually I was surprised that there was only one Serbian considering all the strife in that country.

The cutest was an elderly couple from Albania; I can't imagine how hard it is to leave your country in ones seventies. It's hard to denounce your old country especially at this age.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:19 am

I want to empty, paint and organize the pantry. Including adding several shelves. There will never be time to totally devote to it so I'll have to do it in phases. Starting this project before the holidays doesn't seem wise. I think I'll force myself to wait until after Christmas.
Same here, LadyM. I did buy some bins for the kitchen pantry and I M A Y put them in and fill them. But that involves making a mess first of removing everything from the pantry cupboard. Dh has been building shelves for dd in the laundry room to put more things on. Then maybe we can get some more things removed from the garage.

Knee kept me awake till four a.m. :roll: Got up at 7:30. Dragging -who me? Nah!
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 am

I am wasting my time already. My dogs are lying on the floor next to each other and one of the cats is practically perched on both dogs. Sweet dogs.

There is so much to do. I haven't been working at home in 4 days and not one daily or weekly finished and on top of that is finishing Christmas wrapping etc. I still haven't sent out all the Europe cards so they will be late ;)

Things not done:

no gingerbread this year - we will survive
no seeing the chriskringle market or the tree - not necessary -
no cooking cookies to drop off at others - they will be grateful for the unnecessary extra pounds
not being able to find a wis college shirt in time because the local shop closed. (I should have checked earlier).

Not having a clean house when d brother came by when it has been clean the last month. Oh well ;) He doesn't care. He found me on the couch sleeping as I was hurting but still ;) 8-)

decisions to be made: do dailies or finish christmas (I choose to finish Christmas and do dailies in-between

D dee good morning (sorry about your knee!!!)
d lady so happy you had a quiet start to your day. Yay on the bags being filled with donations.. well done
d cathy good morning yay on getting some stitching done and your donations
d twins good morning How was Hanukah for your family? Hope it was lovely! Thank you for starting us so nicely!

Good day to all and good night to Lynn. Wishing you all the very best!

Next: finish details on white elephant gift and wrap.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Howdee gals! I need to work on floors and dailies this morning feeding is done.
Journal & planning done.
I have a plan for dinner.
Dgd #1 & 2 stopped by last nite with gift from dson & family was great to see em.

We have sunshine herd this morning. Cold temps in the forecast for the next week or so here. Got a pen pal letter in the mail today.

They were out of scratch for the hens at the store we were not out so will get sunflower seeds for them. One more card to make out.

Payroll Th. - Sat. In the p m this week.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Taking a quiet break while the kids work on their lesson papers for today. I've given DGD6 3 papers to do and DS9 has 2 (front & back) papers to do. It won't take them 10 minutes if they apply themselves.

DBro left this morning by himself to drive 12 hours away. He is pulling a horse trailer with a colt in it. DBro will leave that colt there and bring home another one that he has had in training the last 4 months. He will make the 12-hour drive home tomorrow. Tuesday DBro took his 4th chemo treatment and yesterday he received the shot that keeps nausea under control. I think DBro is pushing himself too hard, but this trip with his horses is something he wanted to do. I hope it goes okay and he enjoys himself.

I made a phone call to find out information for Tree of Love card. Someone turned in a card with a need but didn't give a last name for the person. "Donna needs help" isn't enough information! Once I had the last name, then we knew the person and how to help proceed in providing the help needed.

I'm going to take DS9 and DGD6 to the park and let them run/climb/play awhile in the sunshine. They have some excess energy to expel.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Return to “Post When You Can”