Hold That Thought Thursday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Re: Hold That Thought Thursday

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:51 pm

Came back to the computer to print some more math problems for DGD6. She is in the first grade so that is the worksheets that I printed. She lOVES doing school work but is kinda bored with the first-grade problems. So I'm printing out some 2nd grade Math worksheets and see how she responds to those.

DS9 worksheets are challenging him right to the brink of overwhelming. We are focusing on fact families using 2 & 3 digits for multiplication and division.

I've finished the flashlight decluttering and organization project this morning. This project was started a week or so ago but needed parts to fix the non-working flashlights. Now we have a good supply on hand and all of the flashlights in our emergency box are working. It's one of those things that you hope you never have to use.....but absolutely need in a time of crisis.

The glass pane double doors leading to the fun room gets used dozens of times a day with kids going back/forth. The door handle had become problematic over the past couple of months. We have made several repairs but the repairs didn't hold. I thought the crystal looking door knobs would be hard to find/replace. I was thrilled to find them. They arrived this morning and were a breeze to replace.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi everyone! I am back from Mobile and back at payroll. The early flight yesterday and the time zone change is killing me, but I am functioning. It is hard to remember what I was doing when I left. My Christmas gift to myself was purchased on the way home from the airport - two new tires. My credit card looks awful right now. I will probably get it paid off just in time to put more on it for the February trip. Which will be paid off in time for the March trip (if I am lucky). DD15 is still with the x's family, so I am free to visit the Thursday knit/crochet group tonight. After that it will be a brief grocery run, church webwork, some personal web chores, and bills and budget (uglier than my Christmas sweater). I had 94 work and 182 home emails awaiting me on my return. I am glad that there is an impromptu payroll lunch, because I am not at all excited by my frozen dinner. All cats were present and accounted for on my return, and Briggs has only one more dose of meds. Lara and Stratton were sleeping within 6 inches of each other.

I did not get the crocheted gifts done in time for Christmas, but did get them delivered on the 26th. I still need to complete Hermione Granger's Gryffindor scarf and mail it. I can probably finish it tonight.

My visit to Mobile was mostly good, but partially sad. Mom is having short term memory problems. Questions get repeated a lot. Particularly frustrating was the constant battle of the black eyed pea soup. Black eyed pea soup is vile swill made from putting black eyed peas into a blender. Despite my love for black eyed peas themselves, I have never liked this revolting concoction. So, when mom mentioned fixing it, I told her not to. Later she would re-notice there was none left and want to fix more. She also got it into her head that I need to start wearing high waisted pants. I have no objection to them, but when we went shopping, the button was too tight on the ones we found. There was another pair of non-high waisted (oddly enough in a smaller size) that fit nicely and was purchased. She spent the rest of the visit telling me I should have bought the others and need to start wearing high waisted pants. No, I need pants that will button. Her driving skills are unaffected.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:16 pm

Harriet, that is exactly what I spent the morning doing. Organizing stuff for the coming year. Went through my master forms file and put likes together and got stuff out for 2018 and set those up. Copied what I needed for CPA (what I have done so far) and have them in the folder for him. My life-in-a-folder is getting fuller.

Elizabeth, I am sorry to read about your DMother. We have our struggles here, but the more I help DH the more I realize my brain is operating on double memory and I'm no longer worrying about ME; DH however.....

Twins, it will be interesting to see how your kids do out on their own finally.

DH has talked with the store where we got the computer and talked them into working on his bookmarks, something they never do. Maybe this will take care of the problem and I won't have to hear about it any more. However, it's a bad time of year to have our computer gone again...they aren't exactly fast about things.

Today I gave him the instructions on how to use our new coffeemaker for the 3rd time. It does have a lot of extra buttons on it and a dial, but he won't need to use any of that. We don't need to set it to brew every morning before we get up, and only I will have to use the clean button, etc. etc. and I think he's finally beginning to get comfortable with the fact that he'll be using the new one. He'll have to. I super cleaned the old one and ran vinegar through it and recleaned. I'm not throwing it away because it works and he likes it, so into a box it'll go and up high somewhere. :roll:

I told him it's a coffeemaker not W10 and if we could learn that we can learn anything!

And I have another headache again today.

Need to go do dishes next.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Well dsisil who was taken to big city hospital yesterday has been determined to have a stomach bug. She will be sent home later today or tomorrow.
Last night I started thinking that maybe dm should not come tomorrow as planned. The reason being is that if db gets the same stomach bug his dw has, he will probably end up in the hospital. 9 times out of 10, with his diabetes, he ends up in the hospital. When dsisil was healthy, she would get him to the hospital but would not stay with him and didn't visit much. Therefore, dm stays with him because if he is bad enough to be in the hospital, he is really sick. The last time he was hospitalized, it took dm and dsisil to get him to the car, so he could be taken to the hospital. So this morning I mentioned this to dm and she said well I'll decide by tonight. Then she talked to db2 and he told her she needed to stay home in case db1 needs her. So she called and told me she was not coming. I understand and agree, but she was sobbing when she hung up the phone. I had told her that by staying home, maybe he will not need her but sure enough, if she came out here, he would need her.

So after I talked to her I was telling dh and he asked, what about our stocking stuffers. I didn't realize that tradition meant so much to him. I told him that I had planned to take everyone out for pizza tomorrow night and then come back here to do stocking stuffers. I had just fixed a big meal Sunday evening and I just don't want to do it again, 5 days later. Then dd2 called and I started telling her the situation. She commented that surely I hadn't talked her out of coming. I told her I felt like I was supporting her decision not to come. Then dd2 said that her kids were looking forward to grandma C coming and would be disappointed. I told her I was disappointed too, but it can't be helped. I reminded her that if I thought one of my daughters might need me, I wouldn't hesitate to cancel my plans and that she would do the same thing. Besides dgd21 still has not passed the kidney stone and if she ends up having to go 2 1/2 hours away to have it removed, then dd2 will probably be with her and I will be keeping the 2 girls. No telling what is going to happen with that, so we all have to be prepared to do what is necessary. Crazy times around here for sure.

Since dm isn't coming, I thought about taking down the tree in a day or two, but will just have to see. It isn't hurting anything and looks really nice this year. I had found some almost navy, unbreakable balls with various shapes and finishes, I bought 3 boxes of 28 of the larger ones and 6 boxes of 20 of the smaller 2 sizes. The tree is loaded with H allmark ornaments and looks pretty when lit but not as pretty when it's not lit. Once I got these ornaments on there I realized that was the touch that was missing. Now it looks pretty even without the lights on. Although if it is cloudy out, I have been keeping it lit, during the day.

Once dh is done showering, I need to color my hair. Dgd21 goes to work at 5 tonight and I had called yesterday and she was open at 5, so I took that appt. I am way past due for a haircut.

Guess I better eat lunch and color my hair, before the day gets away from me.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 pm

I've accomplished NOTHING today except make the bed. Dh has been sick since Christmas morning. I started with the 'stinging' throat, chills, etc this morning and was in the recliner under covers. Right now I feel better????? Not sure what's going on. Figured I'm coming down with whatever has been pestering dh. Supposed to go to Trivia tonight and hockey game tomorrow night. We'll see. Watched a couple of taped specials and now I should get busy and try to do something. (even if it's only 5 minutes at a time).

Been meaning to say that dd tried a little 'trick' on our dining table this year. We have a flannel backed Christmas tablecloth on. We always end up readjusting the tablecloth multiple times. We put small pieces of 2-sided scotch tape at intervals under the tablecloth. Wallah! We have not had to adjust it even once. Will try it with our cloth cover later when we take this one off (as long as the tape comes off the table okay.) That one needed adjusting every time we sat down.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:43 pm

hello - emptied fridge of things that should no longer be there
emptied and filled dishwasher - dw is now washing the dishes. :D
some put away
I ate 3 milano cookies :shock: in a row :shock:!!!
now for counters, stove, table
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:48 pm

I have done the a m stuff for my routine. Did a get the dead tree lights off h helped with that, I vacuumed up after that. I got some rocks painted. Dining table needs attn. I have rounded up a few decor items to take down with the other things to put away. I will do laundry this evening when I watch the collage game for dgds school.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:57 pm

d dee oh no - I do hope you don't get your dh's cold! great idea that your dd did with the table cloth!

hi d lilac - so happy it is just a stomach bug but still I hope she feels better! praying for your dear brother (((your sweet mom)))

hi d harmony ((your sweet dh)) and (((for you that hopefully your headache goes away fast)))

hi d elizabeth I am praying for your d mom. It's hard. ((()))

d lady good for her on the math. (((praying that he doesn't feel so overwhelmed)

yay on your work d nancy

hello to all.

I know today is a holiday challenge of going through things you don't use anymore for Christmas - I can't until I talk down the tree. dd olders irish dancing glass ornament (looks like a Christopher Radko ornament) broke on the Gillie so I think I will have to let it go but she still wants to keep it - I shall see. We keep the ornaments here until they have time to do decorating on their own.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:58 pm

put small pieces of 2-sided scotch tape at intervals under the tablecloth.

I'm going to try this! Thanks for sharing

I've done some prep for tonight's meal. And graded the school worksheets. Both kids made 100 on everything. Big Smiles!

I've looked up the movie times for Ferdinand. Can't go today or tomorrow but maybe Saturday we can make it happen. The weather here is cold and just going to get colder in the next week. Playing outside is not an option. We are going to get cabin fever if I don't find us something to do outside of the house each day.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Dkids bigger things are moved. They still have "stuff" upstairs and I get a different answer every time I ask, but we'll get it all worked out. THe dh of a dfriend - dd's mentor - helped with the heavier stuff. Truck has been returned, dkids went back to apartment for a bit, dd has laundry going here.

I may nap just a bit and then try for a second wind.

We are taking the family of the guy that helped out for pizza tonight.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Return to “Post When You Can”