NEW WEEK, NEW YEAR MONDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: NEW WEEK, NEW YEAR MONDAY

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:02 pm

Oh my! Dh is cough, cough, coughing. I'm coughing too but have to keep sipping ice water. Then of course I have to run to the bathroom. Have a feeling I'll have a path worn there during the night. :roll: I'm quite sure we all have the flu too, Harriet, despite 3 of us having flu shots. Hoping dh is a lot better by tomorrow. I need to go to the pharmacy and get some more supplies, but sure don't feel like it.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:55 pm

I heard exactly the same story Lynlee tells about the flu over there. They were afraid the same would happen in the U.S.

It was not as cold as I feared last night. Thursday and Friday nights are the ones to watch around here. Today it was pretty cold and rained a few times on and off today.

I am not taking my lights in or my tree or anything for another couple weeks probably. We are enjoying the tree lit in the family room, in the darkest corner of the room. We have so little light in the winter, days are so short, that we really enjoy it. DH gets up while it is still dark for hours and when I get up I find the tree lights on. He always tells me to leave it up until Easter, and I think he would not mind if I did. Every Christmas I debate getting a big artificial indoor tree and putting those little white lights on. I've seen that in people's houses before.

We watched the New York ball come down last evening together. DH had been asleep but got up about 15 minutes before and came and got me. I'm glad we got to do that together.

Today he came and got me, said he was ready to take the trees down. He was talking about the remainder of the tall pine trees that would hit our house if they were knocked over. He was out there probably 8:00am. I went out about 9:15 and we worked all day with a short lunch break. We took down 7 big tall trees. He went up a tall ladder and tied it off and the other end to the pickup truck in 4-wheel-drive and I kept the rope taut and then pulled fast when I heard the crack of it coming down.

At the last tree which was the biggest, he needed to stop to fill up with gas and oil and change the blade, which he put on backwards and had to redo. It was a huge amount of work and very dangerous. The last 2 trees we couldn't pull the correct direction so he put his pulley wheel another direction and fed the rope through that and we pulled and got the tree to fall the direction we wanted. On the last one I was across the road in the church parking lot and we set buckets across the road so cars wouldn't drive through the rope.

Walking in there to do the work was really hard. It is all overgrown with vines and they kept pulling at our feet, wrapping around our ankles. I noticed it was hard on my knees with the vines keeping me back. We have a lot of wood to cut up and pine cones all over our side yard.

What a way to celebrate the New Years! But the trees no longer threaten our house. 2 trees were already dead, 1 was hit with lightning last summer. H. Irma knocked down an awful lot of limbs all over the place. I'm not sure I would build next to an undeveloped lot again. It is a lot of work. Fortunately, the owner has told us we can do whatever we want in there, and we will leave it in good shape when we are all done. It is worth a lot of free money for her to have this done. No one could build a house in there the way it was.

We came in about 5:00. I had marinated some meat during our lunch break which DH put on the grill. I had also done dishes and started laundry which still sits in the washer. It was a really busy day.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:29 pm

In a long queue to board and it is the business class line. Hmmmm.

My email in box is empty at the moment. But my computer would not connect so I could not report this accomplishment to you when it happened.

I am only part way through the data entry I thought I might also get through.

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:35 pm

Oh Harmony in my past life I helped xdh remove many large trees in our yard. My x was very good at cutting the V in the right place so the tree fell where he wanted it. That always amazed me. Hated though when a tree got hung up in another tree on the way down. Kept my fingers crossed when pulling them down. Know you must be tired though... bet you’ll slep well tonight but be sort tomorrow.

Phew I’m tired. Didn’t fell any trees like Harmony but am 85% done with my work. Project I will have the house back in order by noon tomorrow, or at least that’s my goal. Been a long time since I put in an 11
Hour day, but it feels good. However this girl is tired too.

Watching MY team playing in the Sugar Bowl. 33 years ago yesterday I came down with the worst flu I’ve ever had. Had tickets to the Sugar Bowl and was meeting out of town guest for the game.

Even had a baby sitter... it hit me hard and it took me six weeks to get over it. Just hope I didn’t pick up the virus while at the drs office. There were an awful lot of six people there.

Gonna put my feet up and watch some more of my game... Nitters to y’all
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 am

RRose, we do have 2 big trees hung up like that. DH says he will wittle away at them till they fall. I will be praying hard the day he works on them. They do look pretty awful like that. DH does the V thing and they fall pretty much where he wants but there is our house to one side, the road in front, electric lines going all the way across the back, so my truck/rope work was just extra insurance. What made it hard is we were working in the middle of them all and removing only the tall ones so they had a lot to fall against on the way down. Sometimes the durn vines tried to hold them up. A nightmare of a job for sure.

The biggest one was 2/3 or better the size of the one we took down in Sunny's backyard. However, it was probably twice as tall. :shock:

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:33 am

Kathryn - Sydney on Wednesday (at this stage) is expecting temp range of 19 -24 C; possible 60% chance of 1-5mm rain (I'll add somewhere, at some stage to that); humidity 78%.
Hoping you have a layer you can strip off to be comfortable.

I got my washing in here, some rain drops falling and sky grumbles as I type.

I'm always impressed at the work the Harmony's put in.

My worst flu was when HongKong flu was new, and I was still at school then. I think I had another bout after a NT trip in 89 perhaps. Maybe it was a touch of bird flu? I forget when bird flu came down. I needed 2 wks off work after that holiday. Those 2 are still in the main mix, with mutations.

Stay safe everyone. Prayers for speedy recoveries.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:49 am

Late late ci!
We've had a disappointing day -- y'all saw us lose... and then that Other Team won... (but that makes dmom happy so I'm being nice about it. She would have been very happy if we had won also. She's good like that. ;) )
DH has already gone to sleep -- we got home about 4 hrs ago... unpacked... read the papers... then I talked online w/a friend for a while, and then dmom called me * at almost midnight * to talk about the 2nd game/her team, b/c she had fallen asleep and missed most of it! She has it recorded, so she'll enjoy it just as much tomorrow, LOL.

LOTS of errands on my to-do's tomorrow, and no, I have not made goals or anything...
But -- wow -- I did manage to hit over 6500 steps yesterday! That's a small goal for most of you, but it is my first goal with my new fitbit.
I've already gotten in 3600 for today -- pacing while talking on phone! :D

I am sooo sorry to hear so many of you, and your families, are fighting this flu thing. Hope everyone feels much better soon!

Hope you all have a good day Tuesday -- stay warm!
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”