NEW WEEK, NEW YEAR MONDAY

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Sunny

Re: NEW WEEK, NEW YEAR MONDAY

Postby Sunny » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Happy New Year 2018!

Sending get well wishes to all who are sick, and hope their dfamilies get/stay healthy. Dh is still coughing and last night had to get up and spend the night in his recliner as the cough became constant. I have done my best to avoid catching it, but last night noticed the beginnings with bleary eyes, soreish throat. I now have chills and am bundled up under extra blankets in bed. Dh had a flu shot and pneumonia shot while in the hospital.

Temp. here is 51* and has been steadily falling since yesterday afternoon. We've had some rain this morning and the low tonight is supposed to be around 40*. Looks like it is raining now.

Belated birthday wishes to Ken-in-Canada, Twins' Dad and Lynlee's dsis. Can't remember if there was someone else? My Great Aunt Pearly's birthday was 12/27...she would have been 122 yr old.

Safe travels, Kathryn and Ken.

We usually leave our decorations up for the two weeks after the 25th, until Orthodox Christmas. We are enjoying the tree lights in the evening.

In the last couple of days I managed to get some laundry done so all our clothes are clean. I did clean the kitchen this morning; I hear dh in there now, in and out of the cabinets. We usually have pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes, but decided to make the turkey breast, stuffing, m. potatoes, sweet potatoes and a vegetable this time. We'll have s.f. jello for dessert. Everyone's meals sound good!

We watched the Rose Parade earlier and I'm watching the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic now. We'll probably watch the Rose Bowl later.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:01 pm

Happy New years d sunny!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:03 pm

lunch is done and I have some soup left over -
dh is folding the towels (I honestly thought he would be wanting to break out of the house today but I think the cold is making him stay in)

all the christmas things (except outside have been pulled down) - most is in the front room now ready for packing
all real greenery (except door garland) are down outside

I still have the fake (look real though) wreaths hanging with ribbon in the upstairs outside windows are down.
Last edited by blessedw2 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:04 pm

I've read through the Christmas letters and notes from others. During the season I didn't have time to just sit down and read them. In fact, I didn't open much of the mail, either.

Dh has been working away so I just picked up the emails he sent me for month-end. The internet here is so slow that I am having trouble. There is a computer in this work station but it is just as slow and I had to reconnect multiple times. So, for once, it isn't my computer!

At the moment it is insisting on downloading an Avast anti-virus update. Yeah, that's going well. My flight boards in 7 hours. It might be done by then!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:06 pm

I have been fixing a nice lunch I realized we needed to dine in things are closed and h is coughing still. I combined left over gravey packets from the holidays chicken and turkey flavorings with chicken broth seasoning very yummy, with veggies, and a new kind of Pioneer brand baking mix for biscuits. Most clean up is done now taking a break.

I need to fed hens and collect eggs. It is foggy here 33* at noon. My knee is better today yea. I will take a break this afternoon.

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:30 pm

Ramblinrose, I was glad to read that you have permanently retired. You deserve it. Now you can do what you want and not have to worry about the possibility of subbing. I think these last few months of working daily, made the decision for you, with no regrets. Congratulations!

Congratulations to blessed for getting her tree down.

Twins mom will be enjoying having her home to herself again, starting tomorrow.

Dd1 came over and took a large container of little smokies in bar-b-que sauce, a bag of little smokies in a blanket, half of the leftover baked bean dip and the hamburger cheese dip. What we have left is manageable for the 2 of us. I tend to get carried away when preparing big meals and always have too much. Yesterday both girls asked what they should bring and when I told them what I was fixing, dd1 couldn't think of anything that was missing from my menu. Dd2 brought cream cheese, hot pepper jelly and W heat Thins, which was a nice addition.

I need to dress and start on the floors. Once they are done, I think I will start dismantling my decorations from the last I put out first and work backwards.

Both dds start back to work (school) on Thursday. The students don't come back until the 8th. The 2 little girls country school starts on Thursday, too.
Their break has really flown by.

BabyK and his parents will be heading to Wichita on Wednesday. He will have his MRI done on Thursday. Originally they had planned to put him under and therefore, he would have had to fast for 6 hours. When they found out that he is less than 12 lbs., they said they will just tightly swaddle him. His parents can't be with him and that is just killing them, thinking of him being immobilized like that, but they do prefer it to putting him under. He will be 5 months old on Wednesday. Doesn't seem possible. His upper gums are swollen and he has been gnawing on his hand for a month. He prefers that to a teething ring. He will probably cut a tooth anytime. He has the sweetest smile that just melts my heart. Then he will raise both eyebrows up and down, with a big smile on his face. Last night we were playing a game, so dd2 put him on a blanket on the floor and took off his sleeper. He loves to be in only his diaper, dgd21 says. So last night he discovered his feet and was doing all kinds of cute things while experimenting with his hands and feet. Dd2 had given them a stroller for one of their presents the other night. It is one the car seat snaps into. They wanted to try it out but it is too cold out, so they took it to Target. Dgd21 said he loved it and did his cute "talking" the whole time. I told her that once it warms up, I would be happy to walk with them. This stroller can be rear facing or front facing. They sure have come a longggggg way with baby items since I had my girls 46+ and 41+ years ago.

I have talked to both dsisils this morning and they are both feeling fine, right now anyway. Also, called my dfriend who moved away 6 1/2 years ago. Her dh had open heart surgery 2 weeks ago tomorrow. He is home and recovering nicely.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:01 pm

Have hens fed after the 3 min of snow. They missed the forcast here the sun gave way to fog & snow oh well.

I made soup from leftovers and popped that in the freezer in the round plastic container for frozen contents to fit in IP or crock pot for later.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:05 pm

I'm having trouble actually writing down goals in my Best Self planner...I think I have some fear of failing going on - If I just hold it in my mind I don't fail if I don't get there. And it's already Monday evening, what about that weekly planning? :lol:

We are having omlettes for supper. DH is getting more eggs and omelette stuff.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm

I have decided to put the tree holder on the Worst Job First list after I take a break. Boy oh boy I don't want to do it even though I know it will only take 15 minutes. The house is a superficial mess. I haven't done any dailies yet. Trying to do the holiday stuff all at once made me really cranky. ;)

dh and I tried to open the upstairs windows to take out the hanging wreaths but they are frozen shut. It looks like we will have to wait until the weather warms up a bit.

donations are at the front door for dh tomorrow - Christmas stuff and misc I don't want any more. I had these things on my list last year to donate but I didn't want to rush into it. I still wanted to donate it.

I took the door garland down and the wires are off and greenery are in the compost container for the city.

I love the name of your planner d twins! I have felt exactly the same way. I love omelettes for dinner!

A couple of years ago I made a weird goal of not fearing failure and congratulating myself on the little I did do because dd younger always looks at what she hasn't done; I wanted her to see that you do fall off the wagon on goals but just start again where you left off. I find it gets easier every time I go back. I am no longer so hard on myself regarding that maybe because I don't over goal so much.

I realized my d mom was a huge reason I always thought I failed - my d uncle is the same. (even if d mom constantly didn't finish what she started but was okay with it about herself - dd's and I said we would love to have that self confidence). She notices when I hadn't done something.

My uncle sent me a card and said if you haven't lost the weight by now you never will. Wow

My dad even asked why I didn't try; thinking it was just the fear of failure type thing - I told him I was afraid to fail and afraid to succeed because people would expect me to keep it up at a level I couldn't do plus I totally dislike the attention! D dad couldn't understand being afraid to succeed like that - It was letting others down if I couldn't do it. More a less a trust thing. D dad used to tell me you don't fail yourself - it is all a learning process that continues on - that for him he would only compete against himself to try to learn something. My ddad was a very wise man.

D brother has been really good about it... hey you will fail... its okay to make mistakes. His big thing as is mine is honesty so as long as your honest you are okay.

d nancy leftovers sound good to me

d lilac sounds really good! I am the same way about having a lot of food when I have company. So happy your two girls were able to help you with the food. praying for the baby and his parents ((())) also praying for your d friends dh

d kathryn good evening almost

hi d sunny bundle up! hope you are not getting a gold. Enjoy those lights!

hi d helia so sweet of your dd to bring home her friend for the holidays. d nieces friend just went back to korea even though she didn't want to but her student visa was over with. I love how your home is open and welcoming to so many friends. How lucky for them and you. Nothing like sharing with each other to warm the heart.
hope your dd 19 has a wonderful month at home! Awesome on your goals.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:50 pm

it's already starting to get dark even though its 4:39pm ;) it says -3 on our thermometer but the city downtown says they have 3 degrees and with windchill that feels like -15 - still so much better than 1985 when we had -33 :D lol.

I don't know why dh and I are complaining - we could have this: Winter temperatures in Oymyakon, Russia, average minus 50 C ( minus 58 F)

or Prospect Creek Camp, Alaska -80F
Rogers Pass, Montana -70f -56.7c Jan 20, 1954

Return to “Post When You Can”