Thankful Thursday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Thankful Thursday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:45 am

What are you thankful for today?

I'm thankful I'm writing this from Sydney and not Wellington (see yesterday's PWYC if you missed my mistake.)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Thankful Thursday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:58 am

Flight was uneventful. And fast. We didn't board until 30 minutes late but still arrived on time. Dh wondered if the 'engineering' problem was the high winds and the fact that we'd land in Sydney too early so it was better to leave the plane on the ground in Wellington, not burning fuel, as opposed to idling on the the tarmac in Sydney.

An hour later we were in our hotel room and figuring out what to do next.

The clock has rolled back 2 hours but of course body time is in control and I want to keep it that way.

We walked 2/3 of a mile to a real grocery store - there's a large number of apartments around here for flight crews, plus it is on the train line into the city so is convenient for someone who works in the city but travels a lot for work. It is quite a nice urban environment actually with lots of cafes and a lovely playground as well in the centre of the blocks of apartments.

I picked up a bit of cooked chicken, some chips and some carrots for my supper (we ate on the plane as well.) Dh is just having a tin of fruit and some milk. I'll use half the carrots tomorrow as a snack on the plane and I have to check out if I can carry the carrots into South Australia and Northern Territory. I'll probably finish them by Adelaide.

Bedtime will be 9:30 and we'll be up at 5:30, breakfast at 6 and walk to the airport at 7. It is 1/3 of a mile and so we'll just walk it as recommended by the front desk staff even though there is a shuttle (which is $14 for us.) Uber was $12 and that was from the further away airport. We just took it because it was quickest, we had no idea it was cheaper too.

I have bought protein granola bars, sultanas (raisins), dried cranberries (those are both in single service boxes to make things convenient), nuts (two kinds) and the chips. Hopefully I'll be able to supplement with milk and pieces of fruit from convenience stores. Things like doughnuts are always available but now I have some higher protein options as well as carbs. Dh even bought some granola bars too to use on his hike.

It is time now for me to shower and get ready for bed. I'm so tired.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:55 am

Sweet dreams Kathryn and Ken.
I'm glad you made it safely to Sydney.
I had hoped there was a nearby grocery store. The smaller big 2 brand 'supermarket' branches have sprung up lots of places, some were 24hr near the centre where I used to stay in Sydney.
I think it is just the fruit fly we have here that is the bother from Qld, but the wise thing probably is thing to check when you go to SA.

My day
caught up with dishes
bus to appointment, and home.
read this afternoon
Walk - met someone and talked of d&m matters for an age. He took over his brother's place after he died, it is on my 3k loop. I'd only spoken to him a couple of times before, and one of those was at the funeral. Then it was almost dark so I turned around and came back home over the hill again, the longer sides of the loop, and more habitated. chance, or maybe not quite the coincidence we both got to his gate at the one time.
Puffing, but certainly not fast, is my take on hills.

I need to get me to the K, jump back into dishes and the shiny sink gig.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 am

With apologies to the In Canadas, SA is expecting over 41C next couple of days and there is a total fire ban.
Stay safe.
Sunday on NT temps will be hot. Please be prepared to go with the conditions you find when you get there and make decisions based on that.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 am

Hoping you have good travels today, Kathryn. Stay cool & hydrated and fortified.

I'm up, s2s, meds taken, breakfast eaten, sipping coffee and printed out maps for today. We're headed to Sarasota for a get-together of campers from our campground up north. I really hate this trip and I've talked about that before. Nice to see some people but it's only for 2 hours and we're seated at a very long table. Thus only really get to chat with those sitting by us for the most part. Dsonil had wanted to go with dh and I wasn't going to go. (I'm still not up to snuff, but......) I certainly can't fault dsonil for not being able to go. It hasn't worked out that someone else was going to stay with his Mom today. But I firmly believe that everything works out the way it's supposed to.

I've washed my hair and wearing warm clothes -not what I wanted to wear today. It was about 24 here at the house this morning. That is extremely cold for FL. I'm hoping for the best for all the strawberry growers. They've all been hard at work all night trying to save their crops. I understand it's more of the same tonight.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:41 am

Oh, Dee, I have big hopes for those strawberries! They usually start coming in from FL in Feb here and they smell so good compared to the "winter" strawberries from where ever.

Busy day. I need to get crackin'. I have a massage at 11:30 and need to run an errand for dh, and need a trip to the mall for a return. I think I'll treat myself to the trip to the mall tomorrow - I have two returns, plus am considering a makeup purchase.

For today, after the massage I'm going to drop in and see dmom, and at 2:30 have a vet appt for dMuffin. Then dd wants to go to antique shops. I need to fit in the errand for dh today also.

I really need to finish up the Pro Gen work before Sunday so I don't have to do it instead of homework next week in SLC - hoping I can get my thoughts together. I need a mission statement and marketing plan for my business. :?

Lying awake last night I had a brainstorm for a name for genealogy business - I think I'll uses my street name, which to me sounds like an old timey home place with a big fireplace and a roaring fire going...solid, a little old fashioned.

Gotta get moving:
-breakfast and meds/vitamins
-clean up, brush teeth etc.
-make the bed
-out the door

Too cold to walk the ddog again but high should be above 40 degrees today. It's currently nineteen degrees, feels like twelve. Brrrrrr!!!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:57 am

glad you landed safely in Sydney d kathryn
all I could think of is P. Sherman 42 wallaby way, Sydney https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDpqi_6UHGk :D 8-)
hope you are having a restful sleep!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:04 am

You did the walk and had a busy day. Good for you d Lynlee !

stay safe and warm in the south and east! Stay cool in Australia/New zealand/Fiji
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 am

Twins', I thought, "Awwww... .." hearing your reasoning.
I hope you have lots of inspiration and fun with it.

I have high hopes for strawberries, too, and the many FL crops. Dee, so sorry growers around you there are in worry mode.

As I awakened, it was 16 here, but I assume it was lower by a degree or two at, say, 5 or 6. Haven't heard.

No matter what, it is not as forecast.

My one "have to" today is to get out at the "heat of the day" (which is looking less and less heat-ish as we go along) and I hope that road conditions will be reasonable. Again, I will not try to get gas, but limp along on what I have. Need to ship a package and possibly, if I feel lucky (smile) make it all the way to the P.O.

My first little sprouts are happy today, just making their first appearance of leaves, if you look real, real close. I have them in the morning sunshine near the south facing upstairs window but will move to HRH's office later, where the computer warmth is what started them germinating faster in the first place. You can find any temp from 70 to 80 in his office depending on closeness to window, doorway or between computers, plus makeshift "heat pads" are always happening on various sized small flat surfaces. I don't even know the name of the one I used yesterday - maybe it's an oddly shaped hard drive. That's why Tobias loves hanging out with him in winter, I think! ;)

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:13 am

Morning....

I am thankful I am retired and can stay warm and cozy inmy bed for as long as I want in the mornings.

I don’t have much to do today. Did quite a bit yesterday in my office working on pesky things that have piled up over time. Glad to geter done.

Perry is on... he shows up here at 8 in the morning..so I am drinking my second cup of coffee and planning my day. I haven’t had much of an appetite recently so planning dinner for Sweetie is sort of mundane. Last night we had leftover meatloaf, noodles and veggies and I ate a baked potato. I lost my appetite smelling the food. Not too worried about it at the moment cause I have plenty of spare body fat to go around.

Off to start my day...
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Return to “Post When You Can”