Tuesday Tending

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Tuesday Tending

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Been at the computer all morning but have quite a bit done -desk/phone work:
1. Found password for our E dward J ones account
2. Brought our 1099's up
3. Printed our 1099's from the computer
4. Got out our car insurance bill
5. Called insurance company & that's paid
6. Opened an email from a Deacon up home & copied and pasted their notes to the January council minutes
7. Checked over our membership list -somehow all the "C"s on the list got left off.
8. Corrected that and have emailed back & forth with our church secretary

Dsonil is home for a few to pick up something and take a shower. He's got to get a lot of his Mom's saved coins together and get them turned over for what they're worth. Made me think that dd and I will make it a project this summer to find all of ours and get them turned in. I know we have lots of silver and $1.00 coins and old pennies, etc, etc. May as well have the money from them.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

helia

Postby helia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:44 pm

Thank you for your encouragement, Harriet. I take the Hebrew classes as long as I'm free. I do from time to time get scheduled at payroll during the class time. From my point of view, my Hebrew feels a bit like I'm spinning my wheels, not really making forward progress. I still rely heavily on a dictionary, for example. So thank you for your comments! And that is really inconvenient and awkward for your state to do renewals that way. :?
You've been productive Dee!
Good luck shaking the slug, Lilac! I don't really do facebook anymore. There are some things people don't need to tell the whole world and some things I don't want to know.
Listening to music energizes me too, Rose. I listen to music religiously when I run. I can't imagine running without music. It distracts me from the discomfort I'm experiencing. Self-inflicted, I know! LOL!
I've been thinking about time too, blessed. I have always over-scheduled myself. I don't know why. Maybe I'm subconsciously afraid of having time on my hands?? Weird because I feel now like I'd love to have a full day without anything hanging over me to do stuff around the house.
I'm thinking of you in Australia, Kathryn. We were there around this time last year, actually in February.
I hope the sermon is encouraging, nancy. That's a great way to tend one's soul.

I have a non-payroll day. My schedule this month is 2 writing classes, MWF. Each class is 2 hours long, so that makes for long payroll days those days.

One of my classes is the advanced writing class, and that requires a lot of extra time outside of class editing and grading essays. These students are high-caliber too. I have 2 MDs in my class, for example, one from Japan and one from Turkey, as well as a couple teachers, business people, engineers, and of course the young people wanting to get in to a university in the US. Under our new owner and director, our school is having more significant results with our students, which is really exciting! We're sending more students on to undergraduate studies - around the country, including Johns Hopkins and Georgetown near DC as well as state universities in many states. We're also now sending students to graduate schools!! Including our own UMich and UVa business school and others I can't remember. We occasionally get UMich graduate students in our program as well. I think the new director would like to get more of that market, but UM also has its own ESL program for foreign graduate students with which we'd compete. This is exciting and makes me feel proud to be a part of this school, but it also makes me feel like I need to be on my game for these students with high academic goals.

Anyhow, my main goals for this non-payroll day:
1. Grocery shopping -- the menu plan and list is made
2. Jogging -- we're having a serious thaw here. Temps are very mild, maybe in the 40s today. Our snow is just about all gone.
3. Catching up on a ton of small deskwork tasks.
4. Finally ordering my new year cards, though at this point, I'm thinking of making them Happy Spring cards. Or maybe Happy Chinese New Year. This is a symptom of how busy life has been.
5. Circles meeting 6 - 8 pm tonight.

I'm having a relaxing morning, which is so nice for a change, but I need to get going. Have a good day all!

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Well like Harriet has mention daily life doesn't always go the way you want it..but in my case it was a good thing.

Had to give my indoor plants a drink and a bit of miracle grow and decided to water two plants that sit on my patio...one thing lead to another and now all my flowering plants in my back yard were treated as well. This crazy warm weather is really confusing them and many are trying to bloom..a month early.
Did my linen closet and discovered I have a least a two year supply if ibuprofen, same with tylenol. Don't know how that happened, but oh well its there.

Heard a few interesting facts about keeping the flu at bay...one of the experts said the worst offenders in the house for carrying the flu virus and spreading it between family members are kitchen hand towels and same for bathrooms. Says the virus can live there for a long and has told all his patients to discard them an put a roll of paper towels out so everyone can use those instead. Also said airing out your house out daily, even if its fridge ou,t, will help to keep the virus from spreading. Said the tv remote should be wiped down daily if not more.

Thought I would pass it along. Sweetie has his own bath towels and a towel I keep out in the kitchen for him so its not really a problem for us, but I do need to start wiping down the shared remote.

Back to work...tomorrow is house blessing day so I want to make sure I have all my supplies ready....
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:00 pm

Under our new owner and director, our school is having more significant results with our students, which is really exciting! We're sending more students on to undergraduate studies - around the country, including Johns Hopkins and Georgetown near DC as well as state universities in many states. We're also now sending students to graduate schools!! Including our own UMich and UVa business school and others I can't remember. We occasionally get UMich graduate students in our program as well. .... This is exciting and makes me feel proud to be a part of this school, but it also makes me feel like I need to be on my game for these students with high academic goals.
so cool d helia!!!

hi d rose - wow that makes sense (re: hand towels) I saw where one should put a humidifier in the bedroom one sleeps in because that keeps down the virus. Can you send me electric shock or sing me a song every time I start feeling the I don't wanna's.

wow d dee you got a lot accomplished.

hi d lilac - sounds like your mom is poking a little fun at herself. hoping she starts to clean a little bit out herself.
wishing you a good afternoon
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:07 pm

hitting a tired spot.

I went to order the pizza and salad for Saturday for family dinner at restaurant. I have a gift card for it.
went to the grocery store
went to sb and got myself coffee - I only do it once a week now.

dd younger is a sleep. I will be happy when she starts slowly getting off those meds.

Next: I think I will first have some bubbly water and take a wee break and then to work.

empty groceries - lots of veggies and a bit of fruit.
make the alsacienne onion pie, I have to cook up the chicken piccata (to put in freezer)
make cucumber salad
make carrot salad (make extra)
vinaigrette base no mayo etc.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi everyone! I have been AWOL since Friday, but not due to any crisis, just super busy. We had a meeting at payroll that I have been doing much prep work for. I did make it to DD15's IEP meeting Friday. She is in trouble there for reading Harry Potter fan fiction too. The solution there (which she agreed with) is for the teachers to hang onto her computer except when THEY determine it is needed. I finally did some cooking this weekend and am having real lunches again instead of my old school standby of peanut butter sandwiches. I am trying to eat from the freezer, mostly to declutter it, but the $$$ savings doesn't hurt.

Last night was the last fan veil class. I am not in the performance because I will be out of town, so that is one less stressor. I scored a complete dance costume in sparkly green (a particularly good color for me) for $15!!! Second score in a row. I have notes on my friend's performance venue and, now that the costume problems are solved, need to check it out and work on a dance. Unfortunately, I have lost my purple long coat. I think it is at the dance studio. I left a message and will find out.

After I got home, I checked my broiler. I think I was mistaken about it being broken. I will test it tonight with ham. If it cooks in the time specified in the users manual, I do not have a problem. I must find out before mid-February, because that is when the one year warranty expires. Got several LOLs done and, get this, PUT AWAY!

Back to my reports!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:45 pm

I have been tending to chores, whether I wanted to do them or not.

First I did some laundry and got that hanging outside. Dailies are done too.

Then CPA returned my call so I took my year-in-a-folder to him with all the info for our taxes. I had gotten our last report in yesterday in email. I give him a lot of information he doesn't need to use because we don't end up itemizing. With the changes in the taxes starting next year I doubt we'll ever itemize again. At least for our personal. For the Corporation we have a lot of spreadsheets for him.

We talked about the changes to the tax laws starting for 2018 taxes. He's sure it is going to help us.

I dropped off books at the library bin and stopped for my Rx and some groceries.

We did a couple proposals and that took a while since there was a bunch of phone calls in the middle of that.

I am sleepy and would go take a nap except it's time to get dinner started.

Nice to have helia stopping by.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:47 pm

I have done the errands dropped off donations at library and thrift shop, did groc. Shopping used a hand scanner the 1st time at W-mart. I am not convinced it save me any time, and have been to knitting meeting.

Lynlee

Postby Lynlee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:32 pm

waving from Wednesday.
I'm taking a punt on washing my clothes today. Rain is expected, but I'm hopeful it gets dry first.
Its ready to go out. Breakfast is eaten.
Then I must get myself to the supermarket.

btw - the bus to yoga takes 10 min. The rest of the 40 min is walking and 15-20 min of being early, helping with windows etc at the hall for yoga.

btw2 - I am loving the return of my morning habit of reading from inspirational sources.
It does my heart good.
Just begin.
Living this day, today
Take a reality check; Remember to breathe; Do what I am able to do.
Look for the good in all.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Moderators, please check the 2018 discussions thread.

Return to “Post When You Can”