Friday firsts

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Friday firsts

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:15 am

Another Friday, another first for me. Sigh.

Hope you can keep to your first, second and third priorities today and nothing else interferes.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Friday firsts

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:18 am

Home. No power to the kitchen. Nor can we get power to the kitchen by replacing the blown fuse. No circuit appears to have a broken fuse.

My first? First time I have returned from a trip to a non working fridge.

Getting electricity and cleaning out the fridge will be our top priority when we wake up. Not unpacking or laundry.

My toilet won't flush either but we may have fixed that.

Ds texted me that he is sick and left a laundry mess at my place. Yup. He did. Plus the freezer is out of place but appears to be working. There's a story there, I assume.

Donna's Lifestyle

Postby Donna's Lifestyle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:55 am

Good Morning
My Friday first is to say Thank you Kathryn!! Your email last night saying that Ken used Chrome, I immediately stopped using my Ipad and signed in using the laptop, and here I am:)
I am so happy to be part of this group, and look forward to chatting with you all. Going to get a cup of coffee and head over to the Cafe and bore anyone who is interested in reading about me:)
Be Back Later

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:02 am

wow what a welcome home d kathryn... hope everything gets fixed right away!!! But still welcome home... hope you get rest up a bit after such an amazing adventure. Thank you d kathryn for getting Donna to us as well!

Donna - Good Morning!!! So happy to meet you! Welcome!

Good morning d everyone. I am probably going to be out all day but wanted you to know I am cheering you on!!! wishing you all a wonderful day.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 am

I am up and morning progressing smoothly. I was up a couple times during the night to check on DGD6. She slept for 14 hours last night and I checked on her to make sure she didn't have a fever. Thankfully she didn't. She has been sick this past week but appears to have mostly recovered.

I am adjusting my schedule and adding in a couple hours of extra doings to each day. Somedays I feel like I'm juggling things okay and other days I feel like I'm dropping more balls than juggling them. Life is interesting. :)

Today's top doings -
** finish up this week's homeschool lessons with DS9. He has one online Math lesson to do and I have a stack of his completed papers to go through. He corrects any missed problems until he gets them all correct. This should take less than an hour.
** DGD6 care. She should go home around 6pm tonight.
** Time with DGS21. We are meeting at his apartment and making a late lunch together. I am bringing shrimp and lemon seasoning. He is providing rice and mixed vegetables. After lunch, we fill our coffee cups and visit more. Then we sit in silence (mostly) and both work on our computers for an hour or so. Then it is time for me to go and gets errands done. The last couple of weeks DGS21 has asked to come with me while I run errands. It extends our time together and I'm grateful he enjoys it enough to want to make it last longer.
** Sam's & WM. I don't shop. I just go and get items on my "Buy this" list. I do it as fast as possible so I can get this icky but necessary task done.
** Install and configure new WiFi at home. I have had equipment on hand for a week but have been waiting to find a quiet time to do it. I am admitting that I am not going to get quiet/alone time so I'll just have to go slower and make sure I write things down at each step. That way when the constant questions and monitoring of DS9 and DGD6 happen I can recover and return to the next step.

DH bought his dream truck yesterday. Sometimes I really don't understand him. But I do enjoy watching him have fun. His "new" dream truck is a 1988 Chevy pickup. It runs but is a 30 year vehicle! We already have a pickup purchased last year with many modern do-dads. So why does working on & driving a 30-year-old pickup appeal to him? Color me clueless. But I am pleased that DH is happy with his newest hobby.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:19 am

Fuse is replaced. Turned out the 'good' fuse we had was also blown. So that raises the question - what happened when we weren't here and ds was using the apartment?

The fridge is cleaned out. Thankfully we were eating from the fridge freezer before we left and had emptied the fridge itself of most items so the loss was minimal. Mainly leftovers in the freezer section (plus half bags of frozen veggies.) I'm sad my single servings of mashed squash have gone, though.

We lost about 4 pounds of bacon. We had two in the fridge (good until well into next month) and then we had a lot in the freezer. We tend to cook it up and freeze it but if we are getting towards the end of a best before date, we'll often freeze it uncooked.

No obvious mold growth in the fridge but the blueberries spilled their juice all over the bottom of the freezer, staining and providing sugars for mold growth. I actually tossed out some older ice packs rather than deal with them.

Tons of things in the dishwasher to be cleaned, dgs' frozen teething wash cloths went moldy so I need to bleach those and then wash them a few times if only to be able to reuse them as wash cloths.

Ran the load of ds's laundry waiting to be run. Dishwasher next, then our laundry as we unpack.

Dh is at the store now buying milk and yogurt so we can eat breakfast. I'm starving - haven't eaten in 12 hours! (Had a nice steak dinner on both flights yesterday.)

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:25 am

Donna: glad you finally got in here. I'm a computer person, and Windows oriented so when it comes to the world of iPads, I'm useless and don't even think about it. Glad you were able to figure out a way here!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:47 am

When I went to the deep freeze for my next bag of blueberries, I discovered a lot of the fridge freezer food there! On Dec. 26th I moved the party foods into the fridge freezer, making room for them by moving ice cream, my squash and several other items to the deep freeze. So those items survived! Dh and I were both cleaning things out so I thought he had tossed the ice cream, etc.

I'm having breakfast now. We put the butter dish and sugar dish in the fridge when we go away (we had ants at the house so learned that the hard way) and the sugar absorbed the moisture and smells from the fridge so that's in the garbage now.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:29 pm

TA-DA's
** 4 different breakfast made and served. That sounds complicated but it is super simple because items are on hand.
** My food plan for today created and posted
** Homeschool planning underway for next week lessons - Completed so far - Spelling, Bible, Vocabulary (2 curriculums lessons planned), Writing (3 curriculums planned), Math (1 curriculum lessons planned), Reading (1 curriculums planned)

DS9 finished his online Math lesson for this week. He still has worksheets to do but I've given him permission to not work on them today while I'm gone. It is MUCH easier for him to do school work when DGD6 isn't here.

DD just picked up DGD6. Which means DD has quit her daytime office job and is returning to bartending/waitressing in evening/night time hours. Since DD was working at the company owned by her husband family....does that mean her marriage is ending too? I have no clue.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Waving be back in a bit... we have sunshine today yea! We had rains in the nite.
I have done qt, breakfast feed animals & make bed, dust living room done. Exercise on stat bike while my knitting show is on in a bit.

I have a crochet hot pad to finish up. Need to get a couple things at the store some time before Mon. My throat is better but not quite 100% yet but improving. Yea for that.

Return to “Post When You Can”