MONDAY MANSIONS

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: MONDAY MANSIONS

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:29 pm

In the spirit of LordM, when the kids were out of the house, we moved out of the high-ranch part of the basement. We had three rooms down there (plus workshop and pantry and big storage area which we kept using.) Their purpose changed as our family changed. At first it was a spare bedroom, daycare toy room and tv room. Then the kids moved down when they turned 13 and by then we had the office in the third room. With the kids gone, the spare bedroom upstairs, no need for a family room and living room, we just moved the office upstairs and moved the TV into the living room. The rooms remained relatively empty until we moved.

Tearing off additional bits of the house didn't make sense because it wasn't a bungalow. But I could see doing that in a bungalow!

We had 3200 square feet of living space, so not a mansion but a large home. And while the bedrooms were small, the living spaces were huge so it felt a bit mansion-y at times. The apartment is also large, 2000 square feet, so I got to keep my big furniture from the house. One our neighbours downsized to a condo and then moved into this building and had to buy more furniture to fill their apartment. That was not a problem for me.

This place is much quicker to clean (not that I have since I got home and it desperately needs it!) Less distance between places, more hardwood or tile floors and no stairs makes cleaning faster. Plus bathrooms, which never took long, really take no time here because they are so tiny. No counters to empty to clean because we have no counters. No towel stands or benches to move when mopping because there is no floor space. A bathmat in dh's bathroom would give him wall-to-wall carpeting if he used one!

Cleaning is on the to-do list for tomorrow. Plus hair cuts. Burgers for dinner. So that day is nicely planned out. I'm going to fold ds's clothes now (they are done) and then head to bed. Dh can't sleep at night and so he wanted an early bed.

I wasted the evening by watching episodes of Scandal. I'm now hooked so have made a promise to myself to only watch them while on the treadmill. I had watched the first episode months ago and though, meh. I'm glad I watched the second one because that hooked me.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 pm

I may have the flu. My cough is more productive but have had a fever of 100. I’m going to see if someone else can pick up dh tomorrow at the airport. I’ll probably try to get in to see a doc tomorrow too.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 pm

My cousin made a couple of those kitchen towels with the crochet tops which button around the oven door. I use mine all the time. Thinking I need to change them more often in this germ-y season.

DH was having trouble with his TV and his remote and not getting the signal from the satellite. I fooled around with it and got it back working. The TV remote changes it from HDM1 to HDM1-2 or something like that and I have no idea what any of that means, I just know unless it's set to HDM1 the tv won't read the satellite signal. I told DH to just keep his fingers off that button. He thinks I'm so smart with the electronics. Ah, NO! I just have the patience to sit and fiddle with something.

And what made me think of all this - is the state of his remote is atrocious. Tomorrow I'll go after it with q tips and alcohol. Probably enough germs on that thing to infest the whole county. And then there's the computer keyboard and the phones. Ok, so that's on my to-do list for tomorrow, de-germ the house.

I got the shopping done and all put away. Got the return (2 heavy bags) to HD and stopped at library and picked up another couple books.

My kitchen cabinets are medium wood color, but they're not really wood, they are that molded vinyl which looks like wood. A bunch of my uppers have glass panels. Those show the insides of the cabinets, if they're tidy or not. If we'd gone with real wood it would have been a few thousand more...but I really think the vinyl is harder to clean. Our old laminate cabinet doors were a snap to clean. Too bad nobody likes them any more.

It's funny, as many rooms as we have, we use every single one of them. We did ok when we had a smaller house, but we've expanded to fit our space!

Oh, Twins. I just hate to hear of anyone getting this crud. It is all over the news here. I have heard WM is a bad place. I use the wet wipes when I go in and I use hand sanitizer when I come out.

Time for bed!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:52 pm

Oh, (((Twins))) — hope you feel better soon!
Tomorrow is another day.

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:35 am

Feel better, Twins. I'm coughing more and more again. Off and on I still feel just a tad off and may run a temp -but it only ever shows at that 'normal' of 98.6. But I rarely have more than 97 as a base temp. Finally got up and took some D elsym, hoping that will quell the cough. But I'm not wheezing or feeling chest congestion. But have to admit I find myself scared it'll head back there again. If I even start to wheeze a little I'll be back to urgent care. We've battled this since Christmas. I do know it always takes me extra long to get over anything and usually feel the effects for a few weeks so I'm hopeful. I'm up now sipping some ginger ale.

DD and another teacher split a 3rd teacher's students today as she had to go home with her own dd who had a 104 fever and couldn't get a sub. Meant dd had 50 kids for some of her classes. And this teacher's 6th period class was as bad as her own. :roll: But she survived the day.

I slept for just a little while and then began to cough and was wide awake again. So read for a while. And here I am.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:42 am

I did clean the table out on the deck, did it after dark but it feels like getting a bonus chore done! Go me!

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:29 am

Dd2 is a 6th grade communications (reading) teacher this year. Last week she was having a terrible time with her students not being quiet while they should be working, etc. She finally decided that since nothing else had worked, that she would make them call their mother in front of the whole class and explain to their mother why they had to call. When she asked who wanted to call their mom first, she said you could have heard a pin drop.

Tonight dh and I went to the local buffet place for supper. We were surprised at how few people were there. Usually it is packed. I had taken a small bottle of sanitizer and we both used it after filling our plates and before eating. Used to the forks, knives and spoons were in containers standing up and the plates used to be face up. Now the plates were face down and there were individual packets on the table containing the silverware and a straw. Hopefully they will continue these practices from now on, instead of just during flu season.

Dh has agreed to grill hamburgers tomorrow. Yum!

I also need to do my lab work. Today I was too low to fast. Hopefully tomorrow my bs will be high enough, that I can shower and get down there.

Return to “Post When You Can”