Groundhog Day Friday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Twins' Mom

Groundhog Day Friday

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:14 am

It is Groundhog day, but a theme beyond that eludes my feeble mind this morning.

I'm hoping I'm on the upswing of this illness.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Re: Groundhog Day Friday

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:19 am

I hope you are too, Twins. Me? Definitely not -at least not at the moment. ;) Finally used my inhaler a while ago and now I'm extremely shaky. Hoping to feel better as the morning goes along. Right now I'm not up to getting anything done.

Dh and dd plan to go to Sea World tomorrow after she gets her hair done. She can go free as a teacher and dh has a season's pass. So I'll have a good share of the day to myself. My plan is to get our taxes done -at least as far as I can without help.

Think I'm going to try curling up in the recliner with a good book and a blanket. Think I could doze off -I've been awake since 3am.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:01 am

waving at you both and all!!!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 am

Well if I take the theme as the Groundhog Day movie, and repeat the same thing over and over, I'm on track for the day!

My frequent shopper program, geared to the country's largest grocery chain, merged yesterday with the shopper program for the country's largest drug store chain. I didn't belong to the other program since I seldom shop there because they are too expensive.

This morning the app on my phone had updated to the new joint program but I couldn't activate it. I ended up using the computer and resetting passwords (multiple times) and downloaded the app to my tablet as well but after an hour I'm finally all up and running and dh has the new 'card' (a photo of the my phone screen) on his phone as well.

I was surprised that not one of this week's offers apply to me. The benefit of taking part in this program is that they send tailored offers, not only on name-brand things I buy but their house brand or even meat and fresh food. My laundry detergent is expensive and not a national brand but it recognizes my buying behaviour and sends me occasional offers. Last week I bought 2 bottles and got $6 in points (20% savings.) Since it is a grocery store, I use the points up as soon as I reach the minimum $20 of points. So it isn't like my American Airlines points which are worth something but I may not be able to cash them in because I don't need a trip on American Airlines right now.

When downloading the app for the tablet, I glanced at the comments on it and everyone was complaining that this week's offers have nothing to do with their buying patterns. I found the same thing. I sure hope they have not lost the database of all my shopping because, after 4 years there was almost always an offer I'd use. They'd guess when I was running low on something so the timing was often perfect. Or a season would come around (like summer with fresh corn on the cob) and the seasonal product would show up in my offers.

I'll still use the grocery chain because it is the second closest store and price matches but I am afraid I won't be able to build up my points quickly if the offers continue to not apply to me. I used all my points in December (towards my Christmas dinner purchases) and yet I've already halfway to my next $20 discount. Despite being away for the month of January (although the laundry detergent was a big boost.)

I hope ds's points moved over fine to the new program. He had about $300 worth the last time we talked about it. He plays the points game really well, buys lots of processed goods (more points on those), binge buys when they have a "spend $100 and get $10 in points" special and never spends his points since, if he doesn't get work hours he can use the points to pay for his groceries while he has no income.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:04 am

I'm up, have had all my breakfast and will go s2s now.

Was in bed 10 hours. Woke up at the 7.5 hour mark and went back to sleep. Dh snuck out of bed an hour later without waking me. I was up twice in the night to go to the bathroom due to over a quart of water consumed after dinner!

I've started in on the water earlier in the day today!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:06 am

I am having such trouble focusing. I'm all over the place and going nowhere. And getting nothing done. Which is probably ok for now but even if I'm sick, I need to accomplish something somehow.

I am hoping that getting an office set up upstairs will help me with focus going forward. Having a place to go to work will give me the mindset!

The decleaning lady is here doing her magic. I did enough straightening up that the house will feel clean when she's done.

Kathryn said:
Well if I take the theme as the Groundhog Day movie, and repeat the same thing over and over, I'm on track for the day!
I was thinking of that with regard to my lack of focus, I'm just flitting around the same stuff over and over, never doing anything.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:09 am

Morning...

I have to have blood work done this morning and then do a grocery run.

It’s a Twofer today for me...today Sweetie and I are celebrating our unofficial anniversary day. We started this adventure 18 years ago and always celebrate it. It’s steak night for me and the first time I’ve eaten out since my stomach episode. I can eat the food but need to watch the amount. Will being along my own salad dressing and ask for my steak to be cooked without seasoning ... fingers crossed

It’s also Willis’ ninth birthday. I see extra treats in his future.

Off to drink more water before I leave to start my day.
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:00 pm

but even if I'm sick, I need to accomplish something somehow.
I'm with you there, Twins. :roll: I started by setting the timer and putting away all the clean dishes from last night. I'd already managed to make the bed. I've just been lazing in the recliner and really want to get SOMETHING done. So, I'll look at my 'trusty' l&&t and get on with it. I kept feeling shaky for some time after using my inhaler much earlier so not sure if it's that or I'm just plain weak.

Dh has gone to the shop to work on a wireless doorbell for the church. Part of their new security system.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:18 pm

Happy day, Willis! Your household is full of happy thoughts from different directions already, and your day makes another.

For me today, a lot of joys-and-concerns thoughts.

And, out of the blue, at such a surprising time for it regarding church work pressures, I've been asked to take on a nutrition client who found me through her new boss, who knows both HRH and me. He had sat with me informally to get some guidance and evidently has told her he considers himself my client. I told her exactly what my certification is, and exactly what it's not, and we agreed the goal will be to direct her to her own research, eventually leaving me behind.

emailing with ddil to schedule the week, remembering the study on Tuesday will take up most of the morning this time.

Laundry is still tumbling, which lets you know I've been slightly off my household game today. I S2slippers at 10:30 last evening, so that was going to be a given.

I appreciate the movie Groundhog Day for its thought provoking ideas. What would you do if you could live a teachable moment over and over again to get better and better at the subject. Also, it hits us firmly with the truth that we are not meant to be able to do that, but to lumber along as Jills of all trades, hopeful, miraculously managing to do so well with the information we have at the time.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:20 pm

I was up at 4 saw the ground hog then. Sun just came out here we have 60' s in our forecast next week. Yea! We had rain in the nite. I am up again. I have fed animals had my breakfast. Journaling is done. I need to round up and start laundry. Waving to every one!

Return to “Post When You Can”