Surprise, Saturday!

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Surprise, Saturday!

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:44 am

Surprise! It is Saturday! The Weekend!

Did this week go by faster than you expected?

Did January go by faster than expected? (Spoiler alert: it is February now!)

What surprises did you encounter today?

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Surprise, Saturday!

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:48 am

Lilac had a surprise last night with her oven element! That's the only time I ever set off a fire extinguisher.

Mine went as hers did, sparks and flames. I moved the children (4 & 1) to the vestibule so I could grab them and run out of the house if need be. I pulled out the fire extinguisher, removed the pin and put it by the oven door. Then I opened the door (no flames but I wasn't sure the additional oxygen would restart the fire.)

Nothing happened. So I closed the door, turned to release the children, tripped over the fire extinguisher, knocked it over, it landed on the handle and it went off all over the kitchen!

Surprise! We had pizza that night.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:56 am

Surprise! Snow storm!

I'm rather annoyed about this one. We were to get 2 - 6 inches of snow from tonight to tomorrow night. But it was a dodgy enough forecast that it wasn't on the government website although they said snow was possible over the weekend, up to 2", but didn't say when. Acuweather put a warning on my tablet, from tonight to tomorrow night but when I asked for details the screen had the warning at the top, then last night cloudy, today cloudy, tonight cloudy with snow up to an inch, tomorrow cloudy with a chance of snow. In other words, no indication of snow last night.

I actually deleted the weather app from my phone because conflicting information like that is useless.

Now I wake up to a snow storm. I'll move my departure time since I have to drive the 20 miles out to the village this morning. And nothing has been plowed (because there was no snow in the forecast for last night, the plows weren't ready.)

Ironically, it is on the cusp of too cold to snow. Normally when we have snow it isn't near this cold (below 0 F). This has been a weird winter.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:22 am

My surprise is that this illness is hanging on so long. I assumed (and you know about that) that since I had a flu shot I wouldn't be that sick, but I woke up this a.m. with a 101 temp again. I slept upstairs in dd's bed (the guest room!) because I had kept dh up with coughing and snoring, and I woke up early to the TV on. The guest room is right at the top of the stairs and it's an open great room so that room opens off the GR upstairs basically. Dh probably didn't realize the tv was so loud. So glad he's headed to temple now.

I got some help on the DNA upload problem last night from the moderator of the facebook group. Trying it again. :shock:

The house is quiet. I think I'll go back to bed. I took advil and ate a banana.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:30 am

My surprise is that this illness is hanging on so long
I'll ditto that remark, Twins. I was really under the weather yesterday and hacked all day. To the point dh was threatening to take me back to urgent care. I decided last night to attack it from as many angles as I could. I took cough syrup, cold meds and a cough drop. Surprise was I barely coughed last night. But I was awake until well after 1. Got up and took two t ylenol pm. Surprisingly I feel fairly rested this morning.

Dh and dd are going to Sea World in a while. I'm headed to W algreen's as soon as I take the rest of my meds and have breakfast. Need to get more cold/flu meds. If I don't end up taking them that's fine. DD was going to get her hair done at 9 but her hairdresser called and has the flu.

I'm off and running -well a slow walk.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Lilac

Postby Lilac » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:29 am

Kathryn, that was quite an experience with the fire extinguisher, not to mention the mess you had to deal with.

Dee, Twins and anyone else dealing with the flu. They say that with the flu shot if you contract the flu it will not be as bad. If that is so, it makes you wonder just how bad it would be without the flu shot, huh? Dee I wonder if the reason yours has hung on forever is because of your diabetes? When I get a cold, it hangs on for a full 3 weeks. I don't remember it being that way before I was diagnosed with diabetes 9 years ago this week.

I haven't seen babyK since New Year's Eve because I am so afraid of seeing him and then the next day wake up with the flu. I might be contagious before I even know I am sick. I just don't want to feel responsible if he gets sick. Dd2 had wanted babyK and his parents to come out to the farm this weekend. The minute dgd21 heard her db had strep, she was canceling their plans to do that. I don't blame her. BabyK now does a fake cough since he seen his dm's reaction, the first time he did it. He is 6 months old today. Half way to being a year old and it will be here before we know it.

Kathryn, you are so right, it has been a weird winter. We have had snow several times, but each time it is just enough to cover the ground. I notice while taking the trash to the dumpster how crunchy the brown grass is.

The paper wasn't out there this morning. Hopefully it is just running late, instead of being missed. On Saturdays there is suppose to be someone there to answer the phone but usually the phone rings forever with no one picking up. Poor customer service!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:38 am

ordered groceries and they will come at 11 to noon. I seam to save more money when I don't do impulse shopping along with regular shopping.

:lol: (Spoiler alert: it is February now!)

quick hi as dh wants to chat!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Dee I wonder if the reason yours has hung on forever is because of your diabetes?
I'm sure that's the case, Lilac. Think though I have "re-infected" myself somehow. I went to the pharmacy and am stocked up on cold/flu meds. Hopefully I won't have to take much. Know there is 'color' again to phlegm. :| But I'm not coughing (so far anyway) near as badly as yesterday.

Dh and dd have left to go to Sea World. Thinking I have probably 7 hours to myself -well 6 at least. They left just before 11am. So I've laid the day out in 1-hour grids, planning to work about 1/2 of each of those hours on: cleaning the kitchen, bringing in some bins from the garage, scanning/filing, and that dreaded 5-letter word: taxes!

DD sent in her family membership application to our campground this morning. She's told them she wants a permanent spot (much cheaper to pay for the year vs. a weekly camping fee if her dh is going to be there for the season.) When she's only there for 7-8 weeks it's cheaper to camp by the week. So much depends on what happens with dsonil's Mom.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:03 pm

I'm up again, going to make some coffee and try for a little of my a.m. routine.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:29 pm

I was woke up by birds chirping outside this morning summer song birds. I thought of robins looked for them when I was out feeding the hens did not see any. I have mended the sheet and they ore in the dryer now. They boys will be here in a while.

Return to “Post When You Can”