Make it happen Monday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Make it happen Monday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:47 pm

Harmony: next time you have too big an attachment, right-click on the file. A menu will come up. One selection is "Send to" and when you click on that "compressed file" comes up as an option. Click on that. Your file will be converted to a zip file in the same directory. That will be much smaller and may be able to be sent.

Good etiquette says: email the recipient first to let them know you are sending a zip file to them and why (viruses can be hidden in zip files so if they know it is expected and that you made it, they will be more likely to open it.) Then send the zip file in a separate email.

Your old computer's email program may not have given you warnings at the same size as you knew one. That could be a difference.

I've washed up the dishes and made the salad for tomorrow's dinner. A neighbour left me about $20 - 30 of fresh vegetables including a dozen tomatoes, four peppers and 5 cukes. I'm working my way through them as fast as possible. Tonight it was Danish cucumber salad. Tomorrow night is tomato and celery salad which is served with schnitzel so perhaps we'll have schnitzel tomorrow night. I have no idea how to count the calories in schnitzel but the idea appeals to me. Dh can have pan fried potatoes with it, I'll see what my carb count looks like for the day and either have a Danish baked potato or just other veggies.

I've done my time on the treadmill. Time to spend some time digging through papers or, gasp, dealing with them!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:07 pm

What is a "Danish baked potato", Kathryn?

Just finished watching the Wall on TV -don't usually watch but dh wanted to as there were people from Belfast, NY -not horribly far south of us- on. It was interesting but confusing to me. But they did win big -$1,415,000!

Got stuck again on our taxes tonight. DD said she'll help me tomorrow.

Need to take my cough syrup, t ylenol and slide on to bed.
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Hello to EVERYONE!!! I feel like I haven't "seen" y'all in AGES!

And I have not made much of anything happen today, either. I've been doing a lot of recovering from 3 days w/dgs, I guess. HOW DO you ladies DO it who have little ones underfoot more time than I do???
Of course, Thursday, he was at school all day, and then Friday, at school till 1:00 pm, and then in his car seat until about 5:00 pm, (minus a couple of stops, one of which he used to tell the lady waiting for the restroom as we came out that "Nana had diarrhea and that was why it took us so long." And he slept a LOT during Friday night and Saturday at the condo... but STILL... it is just EXHAUSTING to be "on" all the time, you know?
He woke up bright and early Sunday morning and I took him home pretty quickly after we ate lunch.

But today I did manage to FINALLY get dh's shower cleaned up, cleaned the bathroom mirror in my part of the master bath (that's the only sink that gets much use, so it's the only one I bothered with today), and I s/s all three toilets. Also finished my Sunday chores left over from yesterday -- watering plants, and making out master list for the week. Paid one bill also.
I've still got to clean up the kitchen from supper, and then I may get started on some photo organization of my own, blessed.

Lots of phone time back and forth with ds and ddil, arranging times we can keep kids for ds to teach lessons, and making plans to go to a funeral visitation tomorrow -- 96 yr old friend of family, fiddler who played in one of the first groups to take ds under their wing. He has been an amazing person to know -- was still fiddling a couple years ago.

(((Harmony))) I know those computer files can be sooo frustrating.
I'm going to have to miss our next teachers' meeting and someone else will have to take notes. If the same lady does it, she will probably send it in the same format, and I had such a terrible time getting whatever she used to open on my computer. I could only read it on my phone. I finally managed to email it to myself from my phone and print it from there.
OH -- I just saw that you missed me!!! Thank you! :D

I also need to exercise tonight. Kathryn mentioned the treadmill. I will just do my walk away the pounds, but I really need to do it! I got lazy last week. It doesn't take long to get out of the habit.

Blessed, I need to ride the roads and take photos, too. :arrow:

:?: What do y'all think about this idea -- forgive me if I've asked before -- it's something my dmom mentioned once, and I keep thinking it would make a wonderful gift for her if I had the photos in one of the books like you can do at Wmart or Snapfish, etc.
:?: Would it be appropriate to write a letter to our local weekly paper, a letter to the editor, and say something like:
"I am trying to collect photos of houses my grandfather, ___ ___ (his name), worked on. During the late '40s to early '70s, he did the brickwork on many houses and businesses in our area. If yours was one of these, or if you know of one he did, would you please take time to contact me? I would like to photograph the exterior of the house and I would be thrilled if you could send me pictures of the house in progress. (My address, phone, and email)"
I mean, we ARE a little tiny town, everyone knows everyone -- but a lot of the people my granddaddy worked for have passed on now and if I don't do this before too many more years pass, I'll never have a chance.
:?: Does that just sound stupid, or ego-centric, like, "My grandfather was the best brickmason in this town so I know you remember if he did your house." (Which to hear people talk is pretty much the truth, at least from the impression they leave with me.)
DH said I might have to pay for ad space to put a notice like this, but I know I have seen people write letters looking for long-lost relatives and stuff like that, so I think it would be okay as a letter to the editor.
OTOH -- I don't want to be embarrassed by asking.
:!: I have already taken a few pictures, but it's kinda makes me nervous, b/c you just about have to pull up in people's driveways to photograph their house, and you know, I don't want someone to come out shooting a gun at me -- and I don't want to have to knock on everyone's door...
I would not make a good journalist, even though I enjoyed editing the school paper very much. :oops:

Harriet, that is sooo annoying for your friend to come in coughing and everything in flu season like this!
This flu season has really gotten scary. I was really nervous Friday night when I could tell dgs had a high fever, but I didn't have a thermometer to check it (forgot to buy one when I made the emergency trip for Tylenol) and, as dh said, what was I going to do if it WAS high? Well, at a certain point, I would have taken him to the ER there in college town, but it would be a hard decision to make -- I mean, sitting in the ER being exposed to other germs, or waiting it out at home?
Apparently his thing was just a 24 hour bug, and maybe the fact that he had the flu vaccine helped him throw it off so quickly, but he was a sick little boy for a little while there.
Anyway, I certainly hope none of you catch whatever he's spreading.
(((BIG HUGS))) for ALL of you who are STILL fighting this crud. Or migraines and other woes. :cry:

YouTube videos can be invaluable -- IF you can understand the speaker, that is! DDIL has only recently discovered that there are YouTube videos of lectures that go along with one of the most difficult classes she has. The teacher she has has made no bones about the fact that she doesn't want to be a teacher, she is just doing this until she passes the qualifications for something else -- and she has a PhD. But someone in the class told ddil to look up these videos, and she said it has made a world of difference.

Waving to ALL!!! Probably a lot more I need to reply to, but I'm just trying to catch up as best I can.

* I did enjoy DS9's joke, LadyM! It took me a minute, too, and finally after reading Kathryn's response about sounding it out, I got it! Yep. Nine year old boys have a special sense of humor! IKWYM about being glad he "gets" it though, after taking everything so literally, black-and-white. DGS is a lot like that. He has a good sense of humor, but sometimes we have to explain to him why something is a joke.
And he can NOT deal with "favorites."
It was his turn to be Student of the Week this week. I came across the questionnaire his teacher sent home during the weekend, and nothing would do him but to fill it out. I figured ddil would prefer to do that herself with him and ds, and I made dgs call her and ask, when he wouldn't accept my efforts to put it off. Finally ddil compromised and told him to just do it on the phone with her and let me write the answers.
Well... he just went to pieces on some of the questions:
"I don't HAVE a favorite book. I don't HAVE a favorite food. I like all of those, that's not my FAVORITE." (when I made suggestions).
Also: "There's nothing that makes me SPECIAL." "Everybody will put that" when ddil said he was sweet. (On that one, he finally agreed that he was special b/c he "always share foods" and ddil convinced him he was special b/c he was a good big brother to his little sister.
* sigh * :roll:
DDIL said today that they got some pictures together for him to take, but he did not want to take a "favorite toy or book" or anything like that to show. She said, "His teacher knows how he is. Maybe she can get him to tell more if she has them stand up and tell about the bulletin board she puts together with their answers and photos.

Well, I must go clean that kitchen. I haven't heard any cleaning fairies messing around in there since I sat down here. :P
Tomorrow is another day.

lucylee

Postby lucylee » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:35 am

Began organizing pictures!

S/S kitchen

Walking away the pounds now.
Tomorrow is another day.

Return to “Post When You Can”