Tuesday Tools

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
LadyMaverick

Tuesday Tools

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:12 am

Please share some of your favorite tools.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

LadyMaverick

Re: Tuesday Tools

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 am

I am thinking of LucyLee DGS reluctance to classify anything as "favorite". I struggle with the same thing when I try to think of my favorite tool. However, when I think of my most used tools, then it becomes easier.

Alexa is used several times a day. When someone notices that we are getting low in something they say "Alexa, add xxxx to the shopping list". I use it to enter food into my food journal "Alexa tell food tracker that I ate oatmeal and blueberries". DS9 and I use timers several times a day "Alexa set a 15-minute timer". Ditto on music "Alexa play Neil Diamon music". DH and DS9 use it to know what is on today's calendar. Plus the random question about any subject that catches their curiosity and interest.

Instant Pot is used almost daily. There is very little that I would rather cook on stove top or oven. I do use Air Fryer once or twice a week.

Fitbit. I rely on it for a wrist watch. But also for step counter and sleep analyzes.
1. Know what you want.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:51 am

This morning I will pick DMom up at 9:30am to take her to new heart doctor appt (her previous heart doctor retired). Today's visit is just a checkup to make sure everything is looking okay and her meds are adjusted correctly.

On our way to the Heart Center, we will stop to pick up a DBro favorite drink and deliver it to him at the Cancer Center. Hopefully, he will be sitting in a recliner hooked up to IV for 8 hours today. If his blood work is good enough to have his treatment today, then this will be his 6th and final chemo treatment. It was hoped he would achieve remission after his 4th chemo treatment but it hasn't happened.....yet. They will schedule scan in a couple weeks to see what the cancer is doing and make a decision about future treatments.

After DMom's appointment then I will take her to get prescriptions and do her shopping at WM.

I will leave homeschool papers for DS9 to do while I'm gone. It will be a skimpy day of homeschool lessons but I know kids in public school don't always do a full lesson in every subject so I am okay with an occasional skimpy day.
1. Know what you want.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:56 am

I struggled with Lucylee's story about dgs and favourites. The fault lies with the teacher and the questionnaire. It should have been "What are some foods you like?" and "Today, if you could choose just one food to eat, which would it be?" That narrows down but at the same time doesn't put one food over the other. In the winter my favourite food would be a roast beef dinner. In the summer that doesn't appeal to me at all!

Tools:

1. computer (good and bad thing - I made great progress last night on the auditing but this morning my in-box zero is being overwhelmed with refugee conversations.)

2. hot water pot. It doesn't make the tea for me but in the morning, when I stagger into the kitchen, there's hot water ready for me to steep my tea. People who drink coffee have no idea how much tea drinkers suffer!

3. my flylady feather duster. It really picks up dust well and is quick and easy to use while on the phone or just listening to a podcast. It doesn't knock over and break things like I do when I dust with a damp cloth and it makes it easy to do frequent slipshod dusting so the place seldom gets really dusty.

4. my induction burner. We don't have a fancy stove but we sit a portable induction burner on top of 2 of the elements on my stove and use it instead. It is fast and cuts hit instantly when you turn it off making cooking much quicker and less troublesome than with a regular electric stove element. It has a timer to shut itself off as well if you only want to simmer for an hour.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:57 am

Oh, another tool: These SHE boards. I came here to start Wednesday's thread. Good thing Lady M beat me to the village this morning!

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:00 am

From Lucylee last night:

:?: What do y'all think about this idea -- forgive me if I've asked before -- it's something my dmom mentioned once, and I keep thinking it would make a wonderful gift for her if I had the photos in one of the books like you can do at Wmart or Snapfish, etc.
:?: Would it be appropriate to write a letter to our local weekly paper, a letter to the editor, and say something like:
"I am trying to collect photos of houses my grandfather, ___ ___ (his name), worked on. During the late '40s to early '70s, he did the brickwork on many houses and businesses in our area. If yours was one of these, or if you know of one he did, would you please take time to contact me? I would like to photograph the exterior of the house and I would be thrilled if you could send me pictures of the house in progress. (My address, phone, and email)"
I mean, we ARE a little tiny town, everyone knows everyone -- but a lot of the people my granddaddy worked for have passed on now and if I don't do this before too many more years pass, I'll never have a chance.
:?: Does that just sound stupid, or ego-centric, like, "My grandfather was the best brickmason in this town so I know you remember if he did your house." (Which to hear people talk is pretty much the truth, at least from the impression they leave with me.)
DH said I might have to pay for ad space to put a notice like this, but I know I have seen people write letters looking for long-lost relatives and stuff like that, so I think it would be okay as a letter to the editor.
OTOH -- I don't want to be embarrassed by asking.
:!: I have already taken a few pictures, but it's kinda makes me nervous, b/c you just about have to pull up in people's driveways to photograph their house, and you know, I don't want someone to come out shooting a gun at me -- and I don't want to have to knock on everyone's door...

Excellent idea except the letter to the editor with your name, etc. Small town newspapers are often put online. You may want to set up a gmail account only for this project and just sign the letter LucyLee X (don't give your last name) so it is harder for someone outside your community to connect you IRL to the letter writer.

I think it would be a wonderful family heirloom so encourage you to do this. It isn't egocentric, it is celebrating a family member and carrying the stories to future generations. Go for it!

For photos from the street, maybe buy camera with 10x optical zoom and you won't have to get close to take the pictures.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:06 am

Dee:

We call these Danish baked potatoes because our friend in Denmark makes them.

http://www.sweetanddelish.com/sliced-an ... -potatoes/

Just go by the picture, not the recipe. We just add salt and pepper to them.

In looking for a picture, I found variations with ham or bacon between the slices so now my imagination is going wild with things I could do. Unfortunately, I don't have the carbs for them today. But with meat cooked inside, it would make a great lunch.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:21 am

I owe a SHEM (SHE motivation - a small piece of wisdom or motivation if you make 3 posts in a row.)

From Happiness File page 173:

You don't get to go out to the mailbox until you have at least 10 minutes to handle what's out there.

Hmmm, off to deal with the mail that piled up since I went through the mail that piled up during the trip!

<Do I get bonus points for at least being able to put my hands on Happiness File in seconds?>

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 am

I love this question because I never really thought about what I use as tools except my kitchen equipment etc.
I loved hearing all of your tools and can't wait to hear everyone else's. :D

I never thought of this site as a tool - more like friends working towards the way women used to do - my grandmother would meet in the centre of her village for knitting - when it was a necessary thing - or families working together to bring in the grapes and making wine as a town. I remember helping my d brother when the sweet corn came in and all of us shucking and prepping the corn for the winter. Or working as a family to help dearest in-laws rake leaves or help with fall and spring cleanup. I had hoped when relative moved here originally that we would work together like when my french grandparents were alive. We had originally planned on cooking each week together for our families. I have tried to have cooking days as a family with d in laws so that we could teach the younger generation family favourites but it's not a thrill for others as it is for me. (lol)

I wish I had an exercising tool -that I would use ;) I love that you use your fit bit thingy d lady as a tool for your life!
I also wish I didn't loose focus and keep a diary of all food - I love that you use your Alexa d lady

My card file and my calendar are a tool I rely on
the tool I dislike the most, because of the brat in me, is my timer.

my notebook calendar in my purse with my favourite pens (d sis in law has 20 years of small yearly calendars that have what she did including when she had her children and who was at her visits and family parties. It's cool to see them.

My swiffer dusters/floor dusters/wet thingy's/ clorox wipes during flu season

my phone - only for texting - everything else is me wasting time 8-)

what a great question!
Last edited by blessedw2 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:32 am

I have been thinking of the one thing that would make my life better if I would have started it when I was young... d father-in-law and d mother-in-law were great on taking film and getting it developed immediately when the roll was done and had pictures printed right away and put into a book or a labeled box. I want to start thinking of my photos like I do reconciling my spending (weekly) or my bwp. I have lost many a photo because I didn't back it up and I no longer have them printed to share with those who would love them.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “Post When You Can”