Thinning Thursday

The daily PWYC thread, where we gather to keep in touch, keep accountable and keep motivating each other.
Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Thinning Thursday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:45 am

No, not thinning yourself, thinning out your stuff.

Lucylee mentioned an idea she had seen about taking a garbage bag and putting one item into it each day for 40 days. At the end of the time, donating the bag to a thrift store.

For those of us who are Christian we just entered Lent yesterday (40 days, not counting Sundays) so this could be a spiritual practice for Lent if you choose.

Whenever or however you start it, it is a freeing exercise because less stuff is good.

Flylady focuses on this with her 21 fling boogies.

So at least think about joining in the challenge.

If Nancy is going to start thinning out her things, we should take advantage of her posts and thin alongside her.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Re: Thinning Thursday

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:51 am

It amazes me as to how much great stuff gets left on the sharing shelves downstairs. And how much great stuff has been donated to the refugees.

Too much stuff might be a North American disease. Or North American dis-ease. Certainly I feel better when I thin out my stuff (in the move, last year when I moved the leftover house stuff I had been storing to the apartment, when I did the Kon Marie, which remains unfinished.)

So for me, I don't need a garbage bag, I can just make up a chart and tick off each day when I leave something on the sharing shelf.

I'm surprised at how inspired I am by this idea. Thanks, Lucylee!

In the meantime:

I'm up, bed is made, kitchen tidied, clothes prepped for me to wear, tea and chocolate consumed, I've weighed myself and a load of laundry is ready to start (just waiting on dh's decision on a shirt.)

Next task will be to s2s. I'm trying to do that earlier in the days, rather than later. I also have to draw up my eating plan for the day. Dinner will be burgers and popcorn, my breakfast is set so I can just fill in my lunch and snack.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 am

OK, I'll admit to being sidetracked. Breakfast is done so, although I'm still at my computer, I have at least accomplished something.

Found this new take on a 15 minute timer and thought I'd share:

http://noelfigart.com/blog/2010/01/21/t ... n-minutes/

The gist is: use the countdown time on your phone when playing either music, podcast or audio book. I use Google Play Music and Pocket Cast and both have a sleep timer that stops the music after a set time. Google Play music lets you set it to as much time as you want, Pocket Cast has a 15 minute time.

So like with musical chairs, when the music stops, you stop doing what you are doing.

She uses it both ways - both as a chore timer and as a break timer.

It is a use of my tech that I've never thought of using. I've got to the point that I don't always notice my watch timer so this might be more noticeable.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:49 am

thank you for starting us d kathryn! yes d lucy's idea is inspiring! Great post. I liked that how she used her iPod for music and a timer!

Good day to each of you! we haven't seen d lynn or d helia lately so I am saying hi to them in spirit!

I have been up for a while and I am thinking of doing the WTF worst things first cards as I have been too tired to get them done or just put it off
The bathrooms (slip shod) and the closet (still in our bedroom)

Goal this morning - put dinner together early as I seem to have been shutting down early.

dd younger was up late last night - she said she thinks she will need support the next 3 weeks as he body is acting up while she shut down the meds bc of allergies. So I really don't know what will be ahead.

I have been overeating at night... I can break this habit that started again. Keep on trying.

It's not going to get any easier if I just sit here - I didn't realize how many times I go on FB to see news stories, cooking things etc. I am on day 2 of 40 days without social media (except here and learning sites) It felt like a week last night :lol: I also realized that when I wake up in the middle of the night I check my phone - not a good habit 8-) ;)
it is always a joy to be here with you!

DeeClutter
Administrator

Postby DeeClutter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:17 am

Here it is 10:11am and I've accomplished NOTHING. Well, I did make the bed, took meds and had breakfast. Think I'll toss in a LOL and put away the dishes from the drainer. That's a start.

I often use my timer and that's exactly what I need to do this morning. Wasted a lot of time looking for a receipt for around $50 that dh has seemed to have lost. It was to be turned in at church for a silent doorbell he bought for there. They'll use it at the sound equipment so if anyone comes late they'll have to push the doorbell. The church will be locked as soon as our service begins. Almost seems like they also need a TV system that would show who it is at the door. Because if anyone goes out there to answer the doorbell there's solid doors and one wouldn't see who was at the door to let them in. Sad we live in this age. Even more pronounced with each mass shooting. :( :?

I'm still coughing but it does seem to be getting better very little by very little. Guess my Dr. (up home) was right -6-8 weeks. I'm now past 6. I've spent the whole time down here recuperating either from that or knee problems. And my weight has crept up to match it.

I remember somebody talking about forgetting something they wanted to order -now it's me. Know I thought of something earlier today that I wanted to get ordered. Well, if it's important, it'll come to me again, right?
Begun is half done -SO! JUST BEGIN!!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:32 am

My bean harvest this a.m. was a success. I took photos, even, because the sprouts are as big as those in restaurants. So I'm very pleased with the tips I learned studying what people were trying to teach me on the internet. :) About 2 pints, now divided into 3 bowls in fridge. And I'm full of goodness myself, since I ate any that were little, lol.

Today is a memorial service for our bass singer's dfil. I am trying to decide whether to go. Leaning toward it. Now 3 other deaths listed there (all ladies who lived long lives, and their deaths are not shocks or sorrowful) are also in emails and calls to and from me. Goodness, lots happening at once. (Bass singer's dfil was only in his 70s and his death was unexpected.)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:35 am

I cannot put the declutteting items in a single bag because they are going to different drop off points, one batch will go to the green house at the high school up the road a feed sack will work for that! The teacher works next door so they said they would take it. Other things to go to the vet, others are for dgd. ... u get the idea so I love the idea of the chart or list. Thanks K in C for that!

I need to do laundry, a m & other routines etc. Have fed hens, dog and people.

I woke up to snow on the ground it is icy outside so I will not be going any where till that melts off. Other Outside tasks are on hold as well... more coffee while I tweak my plans!

I am trying to sprout hen's scratch just to see if it will grow.

H worked late got stuck on the job site with concrete truck yesterday was glad to be hone and dining in on a cold wintery day. I have a plan today hb patties.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:51 am

I have a very itchy ear so have spent some time this morning on that. Yesterday it went from itchy to painful at times, so I can't ignore it anymore.

It could be anything from water in my ear, to too much wax, to too dry, to an infection, to an allergic reaction.

It isn't my regular itchy ears from my normal airborne allergies so I'll set that one aside, but it could be a direct reaction to something it came in contact with.

It started in Australia so seawater in the ear could have introduced anything as an allergen or infection. It isn't pussy or bleeding and I can hear fine.

I use in-ear earphones and since it is bad in one ear, and not bad but itchy in the other, I decided I might be cross-contaminating. I'm now only using earphones in my good ear at night now to let my other ear heal a bit but in the dark I never know which of the two I'm putting in which ear so today I took off the tips, cleaned the phones with alcohol and then put on fresh tips.

In the shower I ran a little bit of hot water into both ears and then got as much as possible out with a tissue to absorb it. On the 'bad' ear, the tissue also brought out dried wax.

Then, I closed the lobe over the ear hole and ran my hair dryer behind the ear while bent upside down to melt some of the wax in the ear to encourage it to move outwards. I have tea tree oil but will just work with the hair dryer for now. The 'good' ear is just fine now.

I'm finding it distracting and I miss being able to wear my earphones in the daytime but at least I have the bone conduction ones so I can wear those if I have to have earphones on to not disturb dh.

Dd just called with my next two tasks for her. I need to pick up her prescription from the fertility clinic tomorrow morning and keep it in ice and cooler bag. I meet up with her in the afternoon so she can have a hair cut while I babysit so I'll pass that off to her then.

Dgs is doing much better now. He slept 8 hours last night which is good for him and I hear in the background while on the phone and he's sounding much better as well. My plan for him tomorrow (since he's still contagious) is to take him to do my errand at the national arts centre and we'll play there for a bit, then over to a mall that has a glass walkway over a street and we can play there for a while and watch the buses and taxis drive underneath us. That mall is also a transit stop where dd can pick up the bus home so she can walk over and meet us when she's done. I'll only have him about 80 minutes tops so it should be an easy time to babysit.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Good morning! I am back at payroll now, with 128 work emails to slog through and 135 home emails. I had a great time at Mobile's Mardi Gras and with my family, and even got to see some x-in laws I still love. It was, of course, raining for a much of the time, but the last day was sunny, warm, and not wet. My traveling companion friend (TCF) thinks Mobile people are crazy standing in the rain to catch stuff. I brought one parade's worth of swag to the breakroom. I brought Mystics of Time emblem necklaces to the Food Bank workers in honor of our time traveling cheese. It is actually raining in the ABQ/Santa Fe area, so I must have brought it with me. I started a Barbie Mardi Gras dress and it is almost finished.

TCF and I were talking about her options for where to live when she needs some help or someone to drive her around. She was not excited about moving into someone else's house, so I mentioned tiny houses that could be put on the same property. Dad helped her visualize the space and plan it, so a good time was had there.

When I got back home, I did not have a chance to unpack and get settled more than the bare minimum. I had to prepare for my tax appointment at 5 pm. Not all the paperwork has arrived, but the process is started. It looked like I would get a refund until the accountant added the investment income. Making too much money is not a horrible problem to have. I will at least put the kitchen back to rights tonight.

It is DD16's birthday, so if there is not too much homework, we will likely eat at the expensive Chinese place. Otherwise, Saturday. (Ok because tomorrow is payday). I don't have to worry about a gift, because there is a ruby ring in the family that she gets when she is 16. I had it sized to fit her in December.

The life insurance company is having trouble accepting payments again.

The cats are still at the cat coordinator's house, because they are getting shots today, but there is one less than I started with. I am so glad I did not leave DD16 in charge of the cats! At midnight on Monday (I had just gotten back to the house), I got a call that Stratton was at the ER with breathing trouble. The decision was to put a DNR on him, stabilize him, and get him to his regular vet in the morning. The vet wanted to run some tests, but could not get him stable enough for them. She said he was already dying, and he went into respiratory arrest while we were talking to her. He may have been euthanized, or he may have died between the sedative and the final injection. Either way, it has been a horrible year for cats in my house. I had a max of 6, with three deaths and one adoption. Stratton was only 10 or 11, but the other two were 17. One of the 17 yo had three chronic medical problems, so not a shock. The other was less expected, but certainly not young. Stratton was a complete shock. In fact, the first question I asked the coordinator was whether she meant to say Briggs, who was in the ER with breathing troubles last summer. This makes us think the two are related. Colony cats often are, sometimes to the point of inbreeding. We don't know what killed him, but it is potentially cardiac, and Briggs has a known heart murmur.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:34 pm

hi d Elizabeth! so happy you had a great time!Happiest of birthdays to your now 16 year old dd!!!

I hope your ear heals
d kathryn
so happy your dgs is feeling better

have a good day d nancy while you are out and on your routines

hi d harriet. glad you had a successful bean harvest!!! wonderful
(((for the families)))

hi d dee! you did things! sending continued healing!!
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Return to “Post When You Can”